POLL: Middle Finger Down?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you leave your middle finger down rather than using the fourth finger when transitioning repeatedly from Csharp and B to high E?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:11 am

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 22

PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

POLL: Middle Finger Down?

Post by PhilO »

I had been playing the transitions from Csharp and B to high E with the fourth finger down for C sharp and using it as balance finger as always, but when it was pointed out that my note transitions were a bit sluggish, and I should try leaving the middle finger down instead, VOILA, nice clear easy transitions. Took a little while to get used to, but now seems natural, at least in the context of tunes where it really helps.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I am presently winning, with a "yes," which equals 100% of the vote.

I couldn't answer the question without grabbing a whistle and testing though.
Truth is, I never thought about or planned the middle finger down habit, it was just the easiest method.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I had to grab a whistle also to test it and I don't. I keep my right index finger on the F# hole for balance, especially playing a tune in A, also do the same on the flute.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: POLL: Middle Finger Down?

Post by colomon »

PhilO wrote:I had been playing the transitions from Csharp and B to high E with the fourth finger down for C sharp and using it as balance finger as always, but when it was pointed out that my note transitions were a bit sluggish, and I should try leaving the middle finger down instead, VOILA, nice clear easy transitions.
If I'm understanding you correctly, this isn't an issue at all if you use your pinky for balance like I do....

(Perhaps it would be easier to figure out if you gave a tune example?)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Not sure what you're saying exactly, but when playing a C# and then an E in rapid succession, I'll leave the F# and E holes covered. It gives me a cleaner transition by not having to get five holes covered in time.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

My brain is to sluggish after a monday at work for this one.
I suggest you check out the 'not moving a muscle (or is it a finger?)' section on Brother Steve's site.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

i use my pinky
yes
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

My pinky doesn't reach easily. I much prefer leaving my lowest finger on that hole as possible.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I was thinking of Tommy People's Jig as rendered by Cathal McConnell; but you're right, probably no matter if you balance with the pinky, which I don't.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

B-E'-B-E'-B...
The beginning of the theme to "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

A good one to impress the non-ITM crowd. My kids love it! :lol:

Jennie
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I use my pinkie for balance.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

oops!!! I voted wrong ( :roll: ) I thought it was asking if we kept it up. Don't ask how I got that out of the question. But anyway, I keep mine up. I think I've spent too much time in the Pub today....

::quietly slinking back to the Pub....::
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.