Pros & Cons of extra Cn hole on a D whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Pros & Cons of extra Cn hole on a D whistle?

Post by alespa »

Hey gang,

I am planning to order a Burke this week, and am debating adding the extra Cn hole. My only concern would be if it would cause any bad habits when I switch to a different whistle. But on some songs, it would be kind of nice to go one extra note down. I can't decide. :-?

matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

When I first read your message, I thought you meant an extra Cn hole in the back--to provide a theoretically more in-tune Cn than OXXOOO gives.

I have a second-hand burke with that kind of Cn hole in the back, and I taped it over.

As for a lower C hole below the D note, I know Silkstone whistles can come that way (D-plus), but I never really found much use for it in session music. That's not to say it wouldn't be useful to some people for some music, of course. I just personally haven't had that need.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Pros & Cons of extra Cn hole on a D whistle?

Post by lixnaw »

alespa wrote:Hey gang,

I am planning to order a Burke this week, and am debating adding the extra Cn hole. My only concern would be if it would cause any bad habits when I switch to a different whistle.
i wouldn't worry about that at all. uilleann pipers have seven holes to cover aswell+one in the back,
and that way they become better whistlers.
and you can still tape it off if you can't get used to it.

here's more related stuff http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... +cnat+hole http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... =cnat+hole
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I have the silkstone with the extra hole. I didn't think I'd use it at first. It seems a bit of a stretch out there and wasn't that easy to hit. Then I decided to play a tune with a low C in it to see if I could get used to it. After a few tries it gets easy enough. I don't use it for the middle c nat, mainly because the oxxooo c nat on the silkstone is about as good as it can get anyway. But I imagine you could get used to that too.
Can't say what it would be like on a Burke though.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I've been thinking lately that it would be nice to have a whistle with that extra hole. I don't have experience with them,but there are a few tunes that I'd like to be able to go down that low,and I heard you can use it to ornament the second octave D,which sounds like fun. So if I were you I'd get it. I'll probably get one myself someday soon.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Seis, can you go ahead and order one, have it sent overnight and tell me about it? Just kidding :D

I have to say, that there have been a few times it would have been nice to have a c just below the low d. I'll have to sleep on this, or maybe do a poll and let everyone else decide??

That could be fun.

m
alespa

Post by alespa »

Greg, there is no hole on the back of the whistle, it's down below the low d note. You don't have to cover it up if you don't want to use it, actually if you covered it up, you'd be playing the Cn.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

alespa wrote:Greg, there is no hole on the back of the whistle, it's down below the low d note. You don't have to cover it up if you don't want to use it, actually if you covered it up, you'd be playing the Cn.
Yup..I got that after reading your message closer :)

Thom from the Whistle Shop really tired to sell me on one like that when I got my last Silkstone. I thought about it, but I decided I didn't want any gimmicks. :)

I thought at first glance you meant the other way because I had one like that already.
alespa

Post by alespa »

hee hee heeeeeeee!

Well, maybe NOW you want one, eh? :D
norseman

Post by norseman »

OK, maybe I'm missing something here, but the only C natural option I see on the Burke order page is the extra thumb hole on the back of the whistle to give you the C natural just below the second octave D on a D whistle. I don't see any option to get the C natural below the lowest D note.
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I'd be willing to bet with a tubing cutter, some glue, and a dremil tool, you could come up with a seven hole feadog or gen to experiment with befor you plunk down good money on a seven holer.
Aluminum tape would do a good job of joining the extra bit of tubing on the end too. Several kinds of epoxy would work as well.
Half hour job maybe?
ps
The part with the extra hole will be at the end of the original tube , not the little bit you glue one. Offset to the right a bit.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
alespa

Post by alespa »

Oh Lord, I think I should not post when I'm sick :-? Norseman, thank you for clearing that up. Well, that makes my decision pretty easy? But where in the world did I see the seventh hole? Maybe it was the Silkstone and somehow my mind is playing tricks on me. :boggle:

Maybe I better go to sleeeeeeep. ZZzzzzzzzzzz
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Norseman is right, Mike doesn't offer the extended tube with an extra bottom hole to allow for C-natural below the D... I think you'll have to get a Silkstone or an Overton if you want that option.
What Mike offers on his current website listing is indeed a C-natural thumb hole... and I highly recommend those, because they are a much better alternative than cross-fingering or half-holing.
Of course the purists will disagree, but it's the truth... try it and see for yourself! :P
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
alespa

Post by alespa »

So how do you play it? I assume you keep the hole sealed until you want to play Cn, but what fingers do you hold down on "top", or do you take all fingers off?
alespa

Post by alespa »

Hey Gary, I just checked out your web site. That new "stealth" tip is really nice looking! Does that carry a price difference?

matt