Whistle for Wife?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
reefrat

Whistle for Wife?

Post by reefrat »

Hi all,
Found your excellent forum and would like some help if possible!
I'm not a whistler (an "average" acoustic guitarist) but during a recent browse in a music shop my wife picked up a Walton Mellow D whistle and has been practising/ playing every day since.
This surprised me as she hasn't shown any previous inclination toward musical instruments and now appears to have a bit of a flair for it!
Apparently she played the recorder in primary school and this has helped.
Anyway, it's her birthday at the end of next month and I've decided to buy her a nice whistle.
To this end I have been perusing the net, learning about whistles in general and trying to determine which one to buy.

The criteria for selection includes:
Has to sound good for Irish/ Celtic music
It has to be "easy" to play (I think she finds breath control the most difficult part at present)
Dosen't have to be especially loud
Must look nice!! (shiny etc)

So far I've narrowed it down to either a Burke or Silkstone alloy high D, probably in session bore.
Am I on the right track?? :roll:
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

You can't buy better than Burke. And the Burke brass is pretty, so I think you'll be very happy with it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jen f »

I'm a fairly new whistler myself. I have a Burke brass session bore, and I am very happy with it. It has enough volume for a session without being overpowering. It plays easily, and you can play it either gently or aggressively; it will take either. It will tarnish, but your wife can keep it polished if she likes.

You might also look at an Elfsong http://www.elfsongwhistles.com/ . I have a brass E that I just bought from another board member, and if the D is anything like the E, your wife will probably like it. It has a low breath requirement, and it is extremely responsive (plays easily). And they're beautiful--available in all kinds of colors, and finished with a clear coat so they won't tarnish. Plus, she can get a C tube for it later on. They are on the quiet side, though, and you do have to wait about 8 weeks.
reefrat

Post by reefrat »

Thanks for the info.
I hadn't considered whether to go for the brass or aluminium body, apparently the brass has a "warmer" tone.
Is there much difference?
A deciding factor may be availibility!! I would need it delivered within 5 weeks and it seems there could be a waiting list?!
jen f

Post by jen f »

I got mine within a few days. Unless something's changed recently, I don't think he has a waiting list for D whistles.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I read your thread heading and was about to point out that I'd never respond to a whistle.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I read the thread heading and thought he was looking for a trade.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I have the DAN (high D, aluminum, narrow bore), and it has a relatively sweet, pure sound.

I also have the CBW (high C, brass, wide bore). It's a bit less pure, but I'm not sure if this due to the difference in key, material, or bore size-or some combination of two or three elements.

I find both easy to play. (I got the DAN about a month after starting, and had no problems with it.) They aren't "especially" loud. I'd say they are medium loud.

The Burke aluminums are very pretty, and tend to stay that way as long as you're careful about not getting them scratched up. The brass ones can be kept shiny with Wright's brass polish (non-stinky, non-toxic). Someone laughed at me when they saw that mine was polished. Apparently some folks like the patinaed look, but I prefer shiny.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
reefrat

Post by reefrat »

I've re-read the title of my post and no...I wouldn't swap my wife for a whistle (a nice custom acoustic guitar maybe..thwack "ouch")!

I'll go with the alloy Burke session D and Song of the Sea advise me they have one in stock.

Sorted..thanks again for all your help and I'll try not to start playing the whistle myself, I already have quite enough interests!!

Incidentally I also ordered her a tuitorial video by a guy who is supposed to be Irelands best!!

Cheers
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Re the wife:
Is she tunable?
Does her head come off?
Is she quite or loud and screechy?
Is she a 'high' or 'low end' wife?
Can you give us a sound sample?
:wink:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

emmline wrote:I read your thread heading and was about to point out that I'd never respond to a whistle.
I was thinking along similar lines... like, "how'd you get her to allow the training?"
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Ness

Post by Ness »

I am a brand new whistler and the only one I have is a D Clarke SweetTone, it's inexpensive and it's been wonderful for learning on. I figure once I get better, I'll buy some different models. For now, I'm liking what I got.
reefrat

AAAAAAGH.....I did it!

Post by reefrat »

I noticed the harmless looking little learn-to-play tin whistle book by Waltons sitting on the cabinet as I walked past a few times during the day..didn't think anything of it.
Evening comes...wife visiting a friend...boring mindless crud on the TV, should go an practise guitar. Out of the corner of my eye the little book beckoned.
Casually I picked it up and flicked through the pages..hmmm
Picked up the whistle and followed the fingering diagram to hit a few notes..pretty straightforward, so that's how you get get the 2nd octave!!
Could be fun...
Suddenly realised what I was doing
No Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Sounds as if you belong here. You might as well give in.

Resistance is futile ...

:D
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

:lol: Hope you ordered that Burke as a matched set -- sounds like you need 2. And don't forget to invite your wife to come out & play with us here, too.

Welcome to WhOA, reefat.

~Judy

PS - If you decide to try a whistle on the plastic end of the scale, Dixons are great. I have 3 (D,A,G) and love them all! Then there's the Burke, the Alba, the Chieftain .... oh well!