OT: It's not every day that you get to meet a celebrity....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevePower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StevePower »

As Tommy O'Sullivan 'stellar' Irish Trad. guitarist, star of Sliabh Notes fame and currently dueting with Paddy Keenan (ex. De Dannan) on their new CD...said to me, in Shanna Quay, recently :smile: Tommy is the one that looks like a muso, by the way!

Steve

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2002-04-18 12:35 ]</font>
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Hey Steve,

I know this sounds unlikely, but a few months ago Paddy and Tommy were passing through Virginia Beach, Virginia and the local folk music society hosted an impromptu concert in someone's home. I was very impressed with Tommy's playing (and Paddy's). Got to talk to Paddy briefly during a break. It was a delightful evening with 2 top notch musicians.

Vinny
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-04-18 12:35, StevePower wrote:
Paddy Keenan (ex. De Dannan35 ]</font>
Oh Steve how well you know your music. :smile:
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-04-18 14:04, Peter Laban wrote:
Oh Steve how well you know your music. :smile:
I assume by that, Peter means: "No, Steve, Paddy Keenan was actually a founding member of the Bothy Band and you made an error that time."

It's a pity he couldn't have been nicer about it!

Hope it didn't spoil the picture!

Steve
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-04-18 12:35, StevePower wrote:
Tommy is the one that looks like a muso, by the way!

Steve
Wow, I never knew that musicians wore sweaters like that...
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-04-18 14:25, StevePower wrote:
[I assume by that, Peter means: "No, Steve, Paddy Keenan was actually a founding member of the Bothy Band and you made an error that time."

It's a pity he couldn't have been nicer about it!
That wasn't so un-nice, not meant that way anyhow. Offcourse I meant he replaced Peter Browne in the Bothy band [oops, doing it again aren't I/]
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Nobody likes a smarty-pants! Except the smarty pants himeself. Trust me, I went to SPA. 'I am Steve and I was a smarty pants!'.

But, in true SP mode, I feel I have to correct Peter (just this one last smarty panting, no more I promise, just one for the road!).

At 17, having fallen in love with the blues, Paddy Keenan left Ireland for England and Europe, where he played blues and rock. Returning to Ireland after a few years, he began playing around Dublin with singer/keyboardist Triona Ni Dhomhnaill and singer/guitarist Micheal O Dhomhnaill. Fiddler Paddy Glackin then joined the three, and they asked flute player Matt Mollov to play with them shortly thereafter. Next accordion player Tony MacMahon joined the group, and then guitarist Donal Lunny was asked to listen to the six. Liking what he heard, he joined as well, and the loosely-knit band began calling itself "Seachtar," the Irish word for "seven."

Seachtar's first major concert was in Dublin. They played a few more gigs around the country, but circumstances soon forced Tony MacMahon to drop out. When the rest of the band decided to turn professional Paddy Glackin left as well; he was replaced by Donegal fiddler Tommy Peoples (who was later replaced by fiddler Kevin Burke). All the group needed now was a name.

Micheal O' Dhomhnaill had recently returned from Scotland, where he happened across a photograph taken in the 1890s of a group of tattered musicians. "The Bothy Band," it was titled, in reference to the migrant Irish laborers who worked in England and Scotland and were housed in stone huts known as "bothies." Micheal suggested that the band take this name, and the others agreed. Thus was born one of the most influential bands of the 1970s, The Bothy Band.

So, I think you'll find, Peter, that paddy was a founder member of the Bothy band, as I said, originally!

(atually, I'm not really a SP at all, I stole this from paddy's home page).

Steve
:wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevePower on 2002-04-19 04:36 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

OK, so I see the celebrity.

Now who's the guy with the beard?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-04-19 04:25, StevePower wrote:

So, I think you'll find, Peter, that paddy was a founder member of the Bothy band, as I said, originally!
Steve, I think you originally said that Paddy Keenan was "ex-DeDannan". But in fact I think Peter is right in pointing out that Paddy is one of the four remaining Irish Traditional recording artists who hasn't been featured in that line-up. They've never had pipes, I believe. (Little know fact: Andy Irvine was a part of DeDannan for a brief period, but does not appear on any studio recordings).

It's all in good fun here, of course, and everybody gets a bit of a ribbing from Peter at some point or other... :smile:
/Bloomfield
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-04-19 10:29, Bloomfield wrote:
teve, I think you originally said that Paddy Keenan was "ex-DeDannan".
Well, yes *originally* I said he was ex De Dannan, but originally when I said he was in the Bothy Band, I said he was a founder member. So, when I was originally talking about his membership of the Bothy band, I was talking about him being an *original* member and not a replacement for another original member, as Peter had suggested he was, originally.

Clear? :wink:
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

(Steve I just sent you a private message, don't know if you watch for them)
Zax

Post by Zax »

ER.... what's a 'muso'?

(in other words... uh... er... *ahem* who's who? :wink:

hi again sp/SP :grin: long time no chat!! i see you're still your usual sp self! lol :wink:

~Z
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

On 2002-04-19 20:25, Zax wrote:
1. ER.... what's a 'muso'?
2. (in other words... uh... er... *ahem* who's who? :wink:
2. hi again sp/SP :grin: long time no chat!! i see you're still your usual sp self! lol :wink:
~Z
1. A musician
2. Tommy O'Sullivan is the tall, handsome and trendy-looking one. I'm just handsome.
3. Is my usual self good or bad (better not say)!

:wink:

Steve
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

Steve, please forgive me but I just gotta ask: That looks like an <b>Argyle</b> sweater. Do the socks match? :grin:
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Neil, you could answer that question by asking Steve is he married or not.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”