New Froment Pipes in B

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Froment Pipes in B

Post by Lorenzo »

More images on "Pictures of Your Pipes" thread.

Made in 2002, this Froment 5/4 set in B has an extra drone (A) and an extra key (E) up on the bass regulator. The chanter has 5 keys, plus a stop key. Stainless steel, ebony, faux ivory. This set has a unique sound...like no other B set I've ever played.

Every time I turn around, I'm amazed at some little detail I've never seen on other sets. The quality is truely astounding. The insides look as good as the outside. Every little part is made with the inginuity and care of a watchmaker. They're playing nicely after spending a day tightening everything up, working on reeds, and adjusting them to my climate. Wouldn't you know--it's gotta be my luck--I have a BK reed from the baritone reg on my old vintage set that works perfect in this chanter...even better than the one that came with the set. Truely amazing! This is a very soft sounding set. The A drone has a pin on the end cap, with a conical plug, that opens/closes the air out a side vent just above the end cap. The tenor reg has an adjustable screw that the tuning pin slides through so you can stop it at a certain place--that's standard on Froment sets I think. The bellows come with a stainless threaded tube that screws into a threaded piece of fake ivory that is stocked in the bellows. The tenor drone has a stainless knob sticking out to hold onto for adjusting the slider. The U-bends are welded together rather than bound with a gusset. The bag cover has snaps that keep the end from opening up. Each lever on the reg keys has a coil spring mounted just the right length with a small stainless plate at the bass of the spring, embedded in the wood. The stainless tuning pins run all the way up the regulator bore. The hole in the end cap at the bell is sized like a fingerhole...you don't see the actual size of the bore looking up the bottom. The chanter feels larger than any B chanter I've ever played, yet the bore is smaller. I like that.

There's too much to describe right now...I'm very distracted playing this instrument!! Truely amazing. A set to die for. At 49, I'm changinging my ways. I'm going on that "live forever" diet and drinking a little red Fromented grape juice every day. I want to play this set for a very, very long time.

To the lurker here on C&F who thought I should have this set: Thank-you from the bottom of my heart....I'm forever indebted. I like them more than you thought I would!!
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

That is a beautiful set, Lorenzo.

My new C set by David Boisvert is winging its way to me as I write. It also has an extra G drone.

How does the extra drone sound?

Mukade.
Mypipes

Re: New Froment Pipes in B

Post by Mypipes »

[quote="

At 49, I'm changinging my ways. I'm going on that "live forever" diet and drinking a little red Fromented grape juice every day. I want to play this set for a very, very long time."

Dont worry B Happy!! :)
Kudos to you. Priorities sound to be in good order :o
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

That 'A' drone can be modified to also become a 'G' drone (with its own shutoff).
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

mukade wrote:How does the extra drone sound?
The extra (A) drone is actually an F#. Like yours, it's a 5th up from the basic key. I was using D pipe language. It sounds pretty cool on certain tunes like Pipe on the Hob and other modal tunes. It adds an older, fuller, harmonic 'wall of sound." But it doesn't sound good with some tunes.

The fingering on this chanter is extremly sensitive. You leave the wrong finger down, like on Cnat, and you get all kinds of variations. Same with most of the other notes. I'm still learning a lot!

Congrats on your new C pipes, Mukade.
Lorenzo

Re: New Froment Pipes in B

Post by Lorenzo »

Mypipes wrote:Dont worry B Happy!! :)
:lol: I like that!
Davey

hmm...

Post by Davey »

So...do we have a mysterious wealthy lurker on C&F who goes around donating sets to deserving pipers??! Sort of a Howard Hughes of the piping world?

:D

There's nothing like the feeling of having a new toy eh Lorenzo?
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Congrats Lorenzo, that's a mighty looking set. Looking forward to hearing them some time.

Hey, you know what they say, "Just B natural".

PD.
Lorenzo

Re: hmm...

Post by Lorenzo »

Davey wrote:So...do we have a mysterious wealthy lurker on C&F who goes around donating sets to deserving pipers??! Sort of a Howard Hughes of the piping world? :D
Almost, but not quite. I usually have to go find the pipes, but suffice it to say...these pipes found me. BTW, no one said they were donated. :wink: And, I'm not sure I really deserve them, but what a chance of a lifetime! Now, the fault can only be with the piper.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Congrats Lorenzo, that's a mighty looking set. Looking forward to hearing them some time.

Hey, you know what they say, "Just B natural."
:D

You'll hear them sometime for sure. I'll try to make another DVD and send out soon as the set stabilizes. It's time we see the pipers play, not just hear them! I really enjoyed your video clip of the new K/Q pipes!
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I just plopped up a wee video of Jarlath Henderson playing from the Langan weekend. A good example to watch :-)

http://www.chrislangan.ca/gallery/2005/video.htm
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Paul Reid wrote:I just plopped up a wee video of Jarlath Henderson playing from the Langan weekend. A good example to watch :-)

http://www.chrislangan.ca/gallery/2005/video.htm
Thanks for the video Paul. Jarlath rocks man! I'tll be nice to hear his piping 20 years from now... he's phenomenal as it is!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

The other thing that is different about this B chanter from the other two I have owned is the size of the fingerholes. They're tiny. There are three different sizes of holes. All three sizes can be found in the bottom three fingerholes. These are given in three different measurements:

1)fraction of an inch 2)thousandths of an inch 3)milimeters.

(medium) 1st hole up from bottom: 5/32 = .155 = 3.94 mm
(small) 2nd hole up from bottom: 1/8 = .125 = 3.17 mm
(large) 3rd hole up from bottom: 11/64 = .170 = 4.32 mm

EXTRA: for the dedicated gearhead who needs to know...
The chanter is 17½ in. long.
The throat is 1/8 in. (8/64)
The size of the bore at the bell is 27/64 in.

Starting from the top, the bore will enlarge/taper from 1/8 in. to 1/4 in. in the first 6 in. -- or by the time it reaches the top index fingerhole. It will taper that much again in the next 8 inches -- almost to the bottom fingerhole. So, you can see it's not a straight taper. The bore is very small, yet the thickness of the chanter feels large...at least larger than the other two I've held. The chanter is 19mm at the thumb hole (OD), and 24mm at the bottom fingerhole near the bell. The only hole that is scalloped at all is the thumb hole -- from 19mm down to 16mm, OD of chanter.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Hey, Jarleth has a flailing pinky just like Patrick. You're in good company Patrick.