Low F Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Unseen, I have a non-tuneable Overton low F (Bernard Overton, not Colin Goldie) that I never play - I could let you have it for a trial period with a view to a sale if you like. It cost me £120.00, I could let you have it for $150.00.

I found it took too long to warm up for my taste (I was strictly an advert break whistler), and the finger holes were not 100% comfortable. Apart from that it was a great whistle, and I'd like to see it go to an appreciative home.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've owned a boatload of Low F whistles, including those made by Burke, Hardy, Grinter, Copeland, and Goldie.

My favorite was the Goldie Overton Low F, actually, that was my favorite whistle ever, and the second best whistle I've ever played. My next favorite F whistles were the Copeland and Grinter, all very different beasts though, so preference has much to do with what you dig in terms of sound and playability.

Loren
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well as it stands I have had three offers 2 for Hardy's (one NR and one Gold) and the Overton offer above. If I was to go with the Overton I would not be able to buy it right away as right now I have about $120 US (I said $200 because I would be willing to save a few bucks and that $120 was not all supposed to be for this whistle). So now it is a question of Hardy or Overton. I have a feeling this could go on for a while.
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Might I also suggest an Alba Low F? I have a friend who let me borrow one for awhile. It's on my short list of whistles to own.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Unseen122 wrote:Well as it stands I have had three offers 2 for Hardy's (one NR and one Gold) and the Overton offer above. If I was to go with the Overton I would not be able to buy it right away as right now I have about $120 US (I said $200 because I would be willing to save a few bucks and that $120 was not all supposed to be for this whistle). So now it is a question of Hardy or Overton. I have a feeling this could go on for a while.
In your position I'd go for the Overton and would pay Martin $120 now and ask him if you can pay him the remaining $30 in two months. Or pay him $40 in two months. Still a bargain.

Tha Alba is good, too. I have a Q1 low F that I like quite a bit. Different feel, different sound, though.
/Bloomfield
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

IDAwHOa wrote:I have an Overton Low F. I am leaving on a road trip today. I grabbed it to take with me for playing while I am gone.
Rats! we were secretly planning an covert mission to get that same low F, Mr. Formally-Known-As-NorCalMusician :D
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I love my Alba high D. I have narrowed it down to two of the offered whistles the best deal is $100 for the Cheiftien NR which is probably what I will go with the Overton is tempting but they are about the same price new and the NR is newer and costs less. I have not decided for sure I will sleep on it.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

This could be splitting hairs considering either way you go, you will most likely enjoy either. Had you the experience with either one to know for a fact you did or did not like one over the other, well, that would be a different matter. You already know that many differing opinions exist on just about every whistle. Get some sleep :D
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Avery,

the Overton is in time terms about two years old, but it's been played maybe ten times.

I'd be happy to take the $120 now and the rest later, mate. I'm in no rush, it just seems a waste of a good whistle.

PM me your snailmail address if you would like a trial and we'll arrange something.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
scotta

Post by scotta »

Chieftain NR
Scott
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I think I will go with the Cheiftian NR I think it is the best deal. Either way I will be happy probably they bothsound like great whistles. Maybe next time Martin.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Hmm... I think you should know that (afaik) the Chieftains are not hand made. They are done by machine (production line style) whereas the overtons are handmade (again, afaik) completely.

The price difference new, IMHO is not an accurate representation of the actual value difference.

That said, I own a Kerry Pro. Take all this as you will.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

alespa wrote:
IDAwHOa wrote:I have an Overton Low F. I am leaving on a road trip today. I grabbed it to take with me for playing while I am gone.
Rats! we were secretly planning an covert mission to get that same low F, Mr. Formally-Known-As-NorCalMusician :D
I am back safe and sound (both of us, Matt :devil: ) more convinced than ever that my metal low f search is over. I am still on Grinters list for a cocobolo one though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
TyroneShoelaces

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

IDAwHOa wrote:I am back safe and sound (both of us, Matt :devil: ) more convinced than ever that my metal low f search is over. I am still on Grinters list for a cocobolo one though.
i for one would like to welcome you back. i really missed you. alot went on in the pub during your absence. you may want to mozy over there and see what all you missed. :wink: the drinks -obviously- are on me.
ever been mugged by a quaker?
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I found out today that I already have an F Flute the original owner told me it was in E (it is one of my new Flutes) but I took it to a tuner today and low and behold it is in F so I will not be getting an F whistle.