What whistles do famous musicians play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

It's not what you've got, it's how you use it. Good players sound good on any whistle. Bad players sound bad whether they have a $5 whistle or a $500 whistle. Spending a lot of money does not make a good player. Practiice does.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm pretty sure I didn't make any connection between what a player plays, and how good they play.

But there's certainly a connection between what a player plays, and the tonal qualities. That is, unless you're willing to go back on your statements that you can't make good music with a Sweetone, Peter. :roll:

If someone hears Mary Bergin, and wants that same tonal quality (again, not the same thing as playing quality), then it would perhaps behoove them to look into the same brand of instrument, don't you think?
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

(double post)
Last edited by Wanderer on Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I believe there is some slight correlation between the price of a whistle and the sound it produces in a novice. When you buy an expensive whistle, you either feel like playing more because the whistle is nice, or you feel obligated to practice more because you've spent so much money.
I've been in slumps befor and not played so much, only to bounce back into heavy practicing by a new whistle.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

If I was a newbie just considering purchasing my first or second whistle, I might have an interest in what whistle a "famous" person plays only because I would assume they'd know a good whistle when they played one, but that's the only reason I can think of that I'd have a real interest in what somebody plays. I think the more comfortable you become with your music, the less important it becomes to play the same type of whistle that some well-known musician plays. For me it's become more important to get into the music and not so much into the whistle itself.

Susan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm currently studying and practicing a lot now and basically just using two whistles, Burke D and Sindt C; but, I'm not that famous. :D

I've never been at all interested in what whistles others play, but I've loved to collect and play lots of different whistles myself.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Paddy Moloney is playing a brass Generation Bb, a Sindt D, and I believe a Burke Low - can't recall if it was F or D. Carlos Nuniez was playing Swayne whistles I believe I heard him say...could easily be wrong there though.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

FJohnSharp wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:Sean Potts had very outspoken ideas about high end whistles last time I talked to him. He played Generations modified by
Peter Hunter but bought a Humphey since.
Can anyone (meaning a pathetic schlub whistle toodler like me) buy a Gen modified by Peter Hunter?
Can they?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Tom Doorley (when he plays whistle) uses Burkes. Anybody know what Low D (I know he uses Gens for the High D) Rory Cambell from Old Blind Dogs plays?
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I don't know what make whistle any 'famous' players use -- but I like the idea of having a list, like Wanderer is suggesting. I always look on my CD covers to see if the brand of whistle is mentioned. If I like the sound on one song, but don't care for the tone of another, it would be helpful to know what whistle is producing the sound I like. (Yes, I know I wouldn't get that same sound ... :P )

Besides ..... I get curious. I can't recognize many whistles at a glance. A few weeks ago James Galway had a TV special on an NPR station here. He played a black whistle with what seemed to be silver fittings (not sure - the TV set's color is kinda wanky). So ... was it a O'Riordan? or what? Enquiring minds would like to know. :)

Joanie Madden plays Burkes (among others, probably) .... doesn't she?

~Judy
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i believe in general most famous musicians appreciate both expensive and inexpensive whistles
when it comes to high whistles, there's not much difference there.
but there isn't that much to choose from when it comes to low whistles,
the cheap low whistes are like practice flutes, so they buy expensives kinds.
Last edited by lixnaw on Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wanderer wrote: If someone hears Mary Bergin, and wants that same tonal quality (again, not the same thing as playing quality), then it would perhaps behoove them to look into the same brand of instrument, don't you think?
Does Mary Bergin's playing have the same tonal quality as Micho Russell?
But go for it, get a Generation eflat and see which of them you'll resemble. :lol:
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Wanderer wrote:What whistles do famous musicians play?
I am almost certain that Elvis did not play Generations.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I was just reading an interview with Paul McCartney. He tells of a bass player recognising him in a shop and asking him what strings he used. He thought for a bit and answered 'long shiny ones.'

Perhaps I'm gullible, but I'm inclined to believe the story. Some people are gear heads and some people just aren't.

That said, the right gear can make a difference. When I was fairly new to guitar, I tried for over a year to get the sound I was after out of an electric guitar I owned without success. I even had one of the pickups changed but still no luck. I sold it and bought another guitar. As soon as I plugged it into an amp (before buying), there was the sound I was after. It isn't always the player. In a similar vein, I defy anyone to play well on a leaky and unresponsive concertina.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote: Does Mary Bergin's playing have the same tonal quality as Micho Russell?
But go for it, get a Generation eflat and see which of them you'll resemble. :lol:
So, you'll be switching to a Sweetone then?

Which is it, Peter? The whistle makes a difference, or the whistle doesn't make a difference?