OT: Bodhran Purchase

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
artmusicsouth

OT: Bodhran Purchase

Post by artmusicsouth »

I am looking to purchase a bodhran for our church and would like some of your thoughts. I have been looking around and these seem to be the better ones in our price range:

Metloef
Davey Drums
Fred Halpin
John Anderson
Buck
Mance Grady
Christian Hedwitschak
Kevin O'Connell

I am sure there are others but this is what I have seemed to pared the list down to. Other suggestions are welcome. Also what size would be a good one to get? We play primarily in a "band" situation with a large compliment of players from guitars, bass, synth, piano, brass, flutes and whistles, violin and cello. It seems that 15" is the standard. We will need to mic the bodhran too. Thanks guys!
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Although I have a couple of really good cheap bodhrans one 18" and one 16", quality on the bargain basement drums is very variable. An experienced drummer who shops in person rather than mail order can find some fine instruments among the cheapies.

That said, the best drum I've had is my current main bodhran: it's a 16" tunable Belgarth. When they're new the thick skins of the Belgarths are a little thuddy and don't ring a great deal, but once they're played in and a few applications of damp cloth have flattened the soft nap on the back of the drumskin, then they sound fan-freakin'-tastic.

www.belgarth.com

Belgarths are built like brick outhouses. A sturdier drum I've not seen. I love mine to bits.

Oh, and mine's a nice blue colour too... :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
BigDavy

Belgarth Bodhrans

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Buddhu

I'm with you on Belgath bodhrans, they are fantastic. Eoin makes lovely drums

Hi artmusicsouth

If you are buying a bodhran, the best thing to do is buy direct from the maker. This allows you to discuss what you want to do with the drum and then he or she can make it to suit.

The drum specs that I usually suggest when people ask me are.
1) Tunable.
2) 14 to 16 inch diameter.
3) Rim depth of 5 to 7 inches
4) Meduim to heavy weight soft skin.
5) Single spar set 3 to 4 inches from the skin and easily removable if required.

If you were this side of the pond I would instantly point you to Eoin at Belgarth, but a decent drum fom him would be around $300 plus postage, given the FX rate between the dollar and the pound, this would likely be outside your price range.

Tell us how you get on with your drum, and welcome to the dark side of the force!!:wink:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have heard good things about the Metloef in fact the maker is a member of this site but I have only seen him here once. I have also heard good things about Mance Grady. The maker that gets top reviews constantly is Albert Alfonso I have not tryed his drums but they are used but some of the top professionals.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

We have a few Eckermanns, one Hedwitschak and one of Seamus O'Kane's bodhrans. All makes are great, all different. I prefer double skin because I like the mellow bassy tone so I usually pick up the Eckermanns. They are also not too heavy in weight and have a brialliant tuning system. Colin plays the O'Kane (too wide a rim for my short arms) and the Hedwitschak with a blue skin. As Mr. O'Keane's are not easy to get and if interested in a similar sounding one like his the Hedwitschaks would be my choice, he can custom make to what you like. Even if you would go for one of his "small budget" bodhrans you will have a high quality instrument in a standard you have to look hard to find, Christian being a master carpenter you can see. These skills show in his work. His website is www.bodhranmaker.de and it is also in English. I always recommend to go direct to a maker if you have the chance to do so and talk with them what you are looking for.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

This thread led me to a site giving lots of Bodhran makers worldwide:

http://www.ceolas.org/instruments/bodhran/

I would never have thought there were so many...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My whistle teacher has a Brendan White drum http://www.bodhran.nl/

It sounded good to me.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

FJohnSharp wrote:My whistle teacher has a Brendan White drum http://www.bodhran.nl/

It sounded good to me.
I do not own one but played a few at various occassion when I saw them at festivals where Brendan showed his instruments. Yes, Very nice sounding instruments they are. He also makes tunables, only thing about them for me which I did not like was that they can be quite heavy compared to others I know, other than that also nice and in a good price range.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have a Kevin O. drum. Although I am a beginner and plan to focus on whistle for now, I do not see myself needing another drum for quite some time.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Seamus O'Kane is over booked right now and is not taking new orders thought I should post that. His drums are among the best though.
Last edited by Unseen122 on Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artmusicsouth

Post by artmusicsouth »

Thanks for all your thoughts.