Please sombody tell me this is not true!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Brigitte
antispam: No

Please sombody tell me this is not true!

Post by Brigitte »

I got an email with the following text and it freaked me totally out. I went into the website and do not want to believe it. Anyone knows about this, if it is true and if it is true how this can be legal?
Thanks a lot
Brigitte

P.S. I have a long list of names following the text as well which I did not post along

Dear Friends

I could not believe when I saw what this sicko is doing to animals, in this case cats.
I am indigned to be part of the human race when I see things like this one.
I had to get it out, sorry, folks.

FOR EVERYONE WHO LOVES ANIMALS OR LIFE This is sick. A site that we were able
to Shut last year has returned. We have to try to shut it down again! A
Japanese man in New York breeds and sells kittens that are called
BONSAI CATS. That would sound cute, if it weren't kittens that were put in to
little bottles after being given a muscle relaxant and then locked up
for the rest of their lives. The cats are fed through a straw and have a
small Tube for their faeces. The skeleton of the cat will take on the form of
the Bottle as the kitten grows. The cats never get the opportunity to move.
They are used as original and exclusive souvenirs. These are the latest
trends in New York, China, Indonesia and New Zealand. If you think you can handle
it, view http://www.bonsaikitten.com and have a look at the methods being used to
put these little kittens into bottles. This petition needs 500 names, so
please Put your one name on it!!! Copy the text into a new email and put your
name on the bottom, then send it to everyone you know. If you notice that
there
Are 500 names on the list, please send it to:
anacheca@hotmail.com Note- Copy this e-mail, paste it into a new one -
DON'T
forward it - add your name, and send it to everyone you know!
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

This is not true.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It's not true.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/animal ... kitten.htm

Edited to add more links.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bonkit66/petition.html - an online version of the petition, but note that the page has not been updated since 2002 (copyright at the bottom).

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/bonsai.asp - Snopes is a great site for debunking myths. Go here first if you ever come across something questionable.

http://www.brendastardom.com/arch.asp?ArchID=598 - This one looks more like a blog entry than an actual report. Be warned that it contains offensive language as it quotes people who were very upset by the whole concept.
Last edited by avanutria on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Brigitte

Thanks

Post by Brigitte »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I guess at times my English is still not that good when it comes down to identify jokes.

Just remembering Ava that you are also now in London. We have been over last week and on Saturday we have been seeing Planxty play in the Barbican.... oh wow!!! It was amazing. Still cannot get over how brilliant it was. As probably many in the audience it was my first time of seeing them all play in one venue and together. And my very first time to see Liam O'Flynn live, I absolutely love his pipe playing and could not await to see and hear it live, it was even much much better than I ever expected... CD quality is great but cannot compete with them on stage...

Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It's not your English, Brigitte - A ton of native speakers get caught by this one too.

Yup, in London and loving it! Too bad I didn't know you were here last week, I'd have loved to meet up. I haven't seen Planxty play yet - lucky you! :) (I haven't been to the Barbican yet either, for that matter, lol)
ifire

Post by ifire »

Photoshop is the coolest program ever. :wink:
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Reg Dich nicht auf Brigitte. :D

I'm sure this is a hoax.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

avanutria wrote:It's not your English, Brigitte - A ton of native speakers get caught by this one too.

Yup, in London and loving it! Too bad I didn't know you were here last week, I'd have loved to meet up. I haven't seen Planxty play yet - lucky you! :) (I haven't been to the Barbican yet either, for that matter, lol)
It was a flying visit to England, driving round visiting a few friends and family and we were not long in the London area. It was my second time to the Barbican, last one was 7 years ago seeing Lunasa and Donal Lunny play there. Was also a great gig. Lunasa at that time played in the Foyer which was free for the audience to see. :D

Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I think this was covered here about a year ago, but hey my memory is like that of a g.... oh, never mind. :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Brigitte, you're English is fine. But since the subject has come up, can you translate the Schnappi song for me?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Flyingcursor wrote:Brigitte, you're English is fine. But since the subject has come up, can you translate the Schnappi song for me?
you should change your siggy back to it, now that you've brought it up. I miss that siggy....
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

The website is a complete hoax, and an old one at that. It's been around for at least two or three years.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

While this web site is a hoax, aren't most of the elements in the story based loosely on things that actually happen?

Battery hens live out their lives in absurdly confined spaces.

I don't have the details handy, but aren't calves destined to become veal kept in a position that prevents them from exercising and force fed milk? The intention is to prevent flesh from becoming tough.

It is illegal to produce veal in the traditional way in Australia.

The notorious experiment that produced what became known as the Beltsville pigs is another example although, in fairness, it should be pointed out that the experiment was abandoned. It involved introducing human growth hormone through genetic engineering. The pigs developed a wide range of health problems and had severely compromised immune systems.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Brigitte,

Your heart was in the right place! I am a veterinary technician and I appreciate anyone who cares enough about animals to blow the whistle on any abuse of animals... even if it is just a hoax.

Good on you! :)