Multi-instrumentalists

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you want to play more than one instrument?

Yes, I plan to play them all.
8%
Yes, I don't plan to play them all but 15 would be good.
38%
Yes, maybe fiddle, oh and guitar, oh and concertina.
24%
Yes, I'd like one more instrument.
23%
No, I'd really like to concentrate on one thing.
6%

Total votes: 78

dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Loren wrote: Which reminds me: Can anyone recommend, from experience, a couple of good DADGAD tutorials? No telling how long I'll be able to suffer keeping my acoustic tuned that way......

Loren
If you do a Google on DADGAD an amazing amount of tutorials and tabs popup, many have sound clips as well.

I get lost there for hours on end.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Well, the distribution of the poll is shaping up as I suspected. Proves my point that most trad musicians are actually ADHD patients.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

dubhlinn wrote:
Loren wrote: Which reminds me: Can anyone recommend, from experience, a couple of good DADGAD tutorials? No telling how long I'll be able to suffer keeping my acoustic tuned that way......

Loren
If you do a Google on DADGAD an amazing amount of tutorials and tabs popup, many have sound clips as well.

I get lost there for hours on end.

Slan,
D.
Thanks, I was hoping not to get lost for hours :wink: but that's not always such a bad thing :lol:

Best,

Loren
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

I've pretty much given up everything for my harp. Guitar and whistles are gathering dust. The magic of the old tunes comes alive on the harp, for me. I feel it in a way I never felt whistle. The Yahoo group for harpers is not quite as entertaining as C&F, but pretty close. I'm still hanging around here, anyway! Once a C&F lurker, always a C&F lurker, I say!

ETA: For some reason, I find ornamentation to be far easier for me on the harp. I struggled on the whistle. I guess because I can see what I'm doing.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

lyndamic wrote:I've pretty much given up everything for my harp. Guitar and whistles are gathering dust.
Sounds like time for a sale, tell me about the guitar :D

Loren
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

can I be a mult-instrumentalist wannabe? :wink: I have yet to learn other instruments (although I used to play the flute in high school), but I intend to learn guitar, Irish flute, mandolin, fiddle...the list goes on here.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

well, apart from the whistles, I play guitar, mandolin and lap dulcimer. I bought a 5-string banjo a while back, but haven't quite got into it yet, although since I mostly play guitar in open G tuning, it ought to be simple.....

and I fell in love. for years I've fancied some kind of bagpipe (I briefly owned a stand of Northumbrian smallpipes 30 years ago), but when I was in Naples at Christmas and heard the zampogna - oh my!

my wife, god bless her, thinks that one whistle is enough, by the way....

b
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

sorry: I forgot to put this in my last post:

http://www.zampogna.org/

all you need to know about th aamazing zampogna

b
walrii

Post by walrii »

I play at the recorder and recently picked up the tin whistle. I don't have any aspirations beyond fipple flutes. I was pleasantly surprised that the variations in fingering between the whistle and the recorder where much easier to learn than I thought. I expected a period of total confusion while my fingers sorted out the differences but I pick up a whistle and my fingers (mostly) go into whistle mode; I pick up a recorder and they (mostly) go into recorder mode. I might learn one of the other traditional fipple flutes at some point if I have reason but for now I'm sticking with the whistle and the recorder.

John in Texas
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Lets see, in addition to the whistle I play harp, bodhran, Appalachian dulcimer, and oh yeah, uilleann pipes. Pesky things. They've taken over my life.

*wanders off muttering incoherently about reeds*
stratochicnic

Post by stratochicnic »

Wow we have some talented people on this board.

I am familiar with piano but I can't play any classical pieces :lol: I play guitar and now am learning tin whistle :)
-- Nicki

"Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." - Charlie Parker
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I grew up on piano, but walked away from it after high school. If I'd have stuck with it, no telling how much fun I could have now! But I picked it up again in '97 and have "lightly" played and can play decent pad playing now, and some tinkling around. It's funny that the my favorite piece from my studies (Moonlight Sonata) is something I can almost play completely from memory/ear now without many mistakes. Recently, back in August of last year I finally got my first whistle and really love them. I enjoy whistling more than piano now and wonder if I'll ever get as good as I want to be in light of the small amount of time I can play each day. I did try guitar back in high school. I thought I'd be cool if I could play (back in the late 70's) well it killed my fingertips, and I just couldn't make the adjustment as quick as "I" wanted, so I dropped it. Wish I had stuck with that too. :) Now, I think I'd like to play the flute. There is some music that I think the flute is better suited for than whistle. We'll see how that goes . . . .

matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

In my youth I played- piano, oboe, clarinet, trombone,tympani,guitar

I now play-piano, organ, whistles, GHB, shuttlepipes, flourishing Scottish tenor drum, mandolin. The organ/piano/whistles get the most play time.

I ordered my brother a bouzouki today for his birthday present in a few weeks. I may not be able to resist fooling around on that thing when it gets here.......
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West