Put Off of Low Whistles

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Put Off of Low Whistles

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Since I've been playing flute I find I feel uncomfortable playing whistles lower than G. They feel awkward in my hands and my fingers don't respond like on flute or higher pitch whistles. Has anybody else run into this?

Cheers,
Aaron
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I find that the grip is different enough that it takes a bit to get used to the switch. I also can't play with the pads on my right hand, but have to use the pipers' grip with the whistle. So, yeah. There is a noticeable difference. I'm definately less facile on the low whistle.

Erik
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't find it especially difficult, just not very rewarding after playing the flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

My flutes sound better, and my hands cramp too much when playing the LW.
I have sold all of my low whistles.

M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I'm still at it, Copeland low D.
Less so, but there remains a place
for them, IMO. Sort of like
playing an organ pipe.
CrazyFlautist

Post by CrazyFlautist »

Im not sure what to say about the low whistle. I like the consistency of the sound of them but the flute is much more rewarding! Low whistles just don't have the nyaa that the flute does. *looks around for low whistlers* Thats probably why I flute instead of whistle. :)
Cheers
Quote o' the Day:
Sometimes a low whistle is just a low whistle.
-Sigmund Freud
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I like to play low whistle on some stuff. I do like Flute more.
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I like the flute more than the low whistle, more control over the tone. I do find the LW more dificult to play, especially when I'm holding it down. If I hold it up higher, it's easier. I still like the LW, even though I like flute better.

Max
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Curiously, I enjoy playing my high whistles more and my low whistle less. After the flute it IS like blowing into an organ pipe :o
tmelser

low whistle ennui

Post by tmelser »

I lost my fascination with the low whistle entirely when I started playing flute. I never could manage the fingering. The low whistle seems to be an evolutionary dead end. Most whistle players aren't interested in playing low whistles and flute players could care less. 8)
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I've never been crazy about low whistles, but the ones in higher keys can sound nice. I've heard a low F that sounded nice. In fact I'll probably get one at some point. One of the guys I play with sings in F a lot. I can't accompany him on flute as its a keyless, so I usually have to do it on the fiddle, but for some of the songs he does, whistle or flute would go better with. Hard to spend the money though when the need to play in F rarely comes up in other situations.
Corin
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Looking at this thread, it seems strange that people like high whistles and do not switch to piccolos. Is it the sound, the cost, what? I have nothing against whistles, Low or High, it just seems that if you prefer side blowing you would stick with it regardless.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
KateG

Post by KateG »

Low whistles caused me to rediscover the flute and discover the Irish flute (thanks Doug Tipple & Ralph Sweet). Picked up a couple of high whistles as an adjunct to mountain dulcimer. The high pitch drove me nuts. Tried a friend's low D whistle, lovely tone but I nearly fainted -- took more air than a bass recorder. Discovered Doug's flutes on eBay and the rest is history. Actually, given how much I like the flute, I might give the piccolo/fife a go at some point.
BillG

Post by BillG »

I loved playing the fife till I realized - and so did my family - that it is NOT a parlor instrument. I switched over to the flute - Irish D keyless - and had a bonanza! BUT, I find the whistles, high and low, are fun to play a tune on FIRST till I get the feel of it. There is still much to say about the low whistles - the Bb is something else - for breath control and familiarity with tunes. I have concluded - when talking to Self - that my first instrument being a clarinet causes me to enjoy the position (straight blown as opposed to lateral) of the whistle/s.

And I think the sound of and love for the fife (since 12 years old) fits nicely with the high end whistles without offending the family "at rest".

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Put Off of Low Whistles

Post by greenspiderweb »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Since I've been playing flute I find I feel uncomfortable playing whistles lower than G. They feel awkward in my hands and my fingers don't respond like on flute or higher pitch whistles. Has anybody else run into this?
Cheers,
Aaron
Well, Aaron, it seems you've morphed into an evolved species, the flautist!

I, on the other end of the evolutionary journey, have just touched on the flute, which still feels strange to me! I find the piper's grip on low whistles so much more relaxed, and holding it down and close to my body is easy also.

I have found, however, that I find the flute has a better low end, much stronger than the Low D whistle. More expressive, I'm not sure, though. I have some very expressive Low D's and Eb, and in the right hands, wonderful also. Expressiveness is probably more generated by the player than the instrument, just as tone is.

I am gravitating to the flute for the strong low end, and different tonal quality, but I won't give up the Low Whistle! It has a unique tone, that you just can't get on a flute.

The first time I heard the Low Whistle that it grabbed me was on Barry Phillips cd 'Cello', which is a basically solo cello album, but with some added backup, all in the Celtic style. Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh was playing lead Low D (Overton) whistle on 'Inisheer', and I've never been the same since! I said to myself, so that's what a Low Whistle sounds like! Fantastic! Of course, she's a great flute player, also, and I'm sure her style and technique are blended together from whistle to flute.

So, I don't know if there is any hope for you, Aaron, but you might be able to get some of your previous facility on the Low Whistle back if you practice! :D
~~~~
Barry