nibblers, anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tommyk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

nibblers, anyone?

Post by tommyk »

Have any of you experienced this? I've listed an instrument for sale both on eBay and on woodenflute.com.

The woodenflute.com listing has now spawned two responses from decidedly non-native users of English (I am a professor of English as a Second Langauge, among other things, so I'm not just throwing that idea around lightly). Each have claimed their interest.

One of them has asked for my
"NAME ON ORDER"
"ADDRESS IN FULL"
"PHONE NUMBER"

Not that I'm actually going to give out this information so readily.

But have you experienced this?
Sounds to me like they probably just verified my email for spam use.

Tommy Kochel
--
“Free nations do not export terror. Free nations listen to the hopes and aspirations of their people. Free nations are peaceful nations.” - from Bush's speech to Marines at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2004, as transcribed by The Federal Document Clearing House.

“So, what does that make the U.S.?” - Tommy Kochel, 2005
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nigerian 419, I'd wager.
/Bloomfield
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

I'm quite familiar with the emails telling you that some government has decided to release money to you and that all you need do is send some initial funds to get that larger sum, blah, blah.

But what is "419"?

Thanks.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

tommyk wrote:I'm quite familiar with the emails telling you that some government has decided to release money to you and that all you need do is send some initial funds to get that larger sum, blah, blah.

But what is "419"?

Thanks.
Section 419 of the Nigerian Criminal Code forbids the kind of administrative-expenses-up-front scam that you get with those emails. So the scams themselves are known as "Nigerian 419s" or just "419s." If you run a search, there is a bit out there, mostly government warnings etc.
/Bloomfield
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

419, the section of the nigerian penal code which deals wtih "advance fee fraud", which is exactly what you describe above.

http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm
tommyk

Post by tommyk »

But why would someone claiming to want to buy an instrument be the same thing as a 419?
I'm fully aware I may be being scammed, but they're not asking for money up front.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'm guessing if you reply, they will get back to you with something like:

'I would like to buy your flute for your asking price of $500 [as an example price]. It is difficult for me to send money to the USA. I have a business associate in the USA who owes me a large sum. I would like to arrange to have him send that sum to you in a cashier's check, and you will deduct the price of the flute from it and send the rest to me. please take a $2,000 bonus for yourself for helping me.'

If you agree with him to do this, you get a faked cashier's check for some large amount, $5,000 say. You deposit it, the bank says OK, you send on the rest of the funds and the flute. A few weeks later, the bank says 'oops, that check wasn't real after all. You owe us $5,000'. And you're out a flute and the cash, and the scammer wins.
lyndamic

Post by lyndamic »

I've heard them called 419's, and also called MUGU's. There's a fabulous website by a horse breeder and her ongoing struggle against them. She lets them think she has fallen for the scam, and they send her fake cashiers' checks in large amounts. She turns them over to the police (who can't do anything, as this is not Nigeria), and hangs copies in the barn.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by StewySmoot »

I have been baiting scammers as a hobby for a few years and I agree with avanutria 100%.
Since the scammers often use stolen checks, I am aware of innocent people being arrested for trying to pass them.

BTW, here is the link to the horse breeder and the scammers she has been dealing with. Besides fun reading, it will give you an idea of the types of letters they use.

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
dwinterfield

Re: nibblers, anyone?

Post by dwinterfield »

tommyk wrote:Have any of you experienced this? I've listed an instrument for sale both on eBay and on woodenflute.com.

The woodenflute.com listing has now spawned two responses from decidedly non-native users of English (I am a professor of English as a Second Langauge, among other things, so I'm not just throwing that idea around lightly). Each have claimed their interest.

One of them has asked for my
"NAME ON ORDER"
"ADDRESS IN FULL"
"PHONE NUMBER"

Not that I'm actually going to give out this information so readily.

But have you experienced this?
Sounds to me like they probably just verified my email for spam use.

Tommy Kochel
--
“Free nations do not export terror. Free nations listen to the hopes and aspirations of their people. Free nations are peaceful nations.” - from Bush's speech to Marines at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2004, as transcribed by The Federal Document Clearing House.

“So, what does that make the U.S.?” - Tommy Kochel, 2005
I routinely track a group of expensive, one-of-a-kind antiques on e-bay and bid sometimes. About every 3-4 months, I'll get an e-mail saying something like "We realize that you were the under-bidder for _________ . We also have _________ and would be happy to sell one to you for $14.95." I never thought they were Nigerian scams, rather something else altogether that might work with an item like a pair of sunglasses or a flash memory chip.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

During the last few days I have gooten a variation of the 419. This one however was Simbawe. The real novel thing is they are written entirely in German. Now I can read just enough of it to see that it is the usual Nigerian type scam. But why in German? There are not many that live around me that speak German. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I visited a German site the other day. Very interesting.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
notus

Post by notus »

I routinely track a group of expensive, one-of-a-kind antiques on e-bay and bid sometimes. About every 3-4 months, I'll get an e-mail saying something like "We realize that you were the under-bidder for _________ . We also have _________ and would be happy to sell one to you for $14.95." I never thought they were Nigerian scams, rather something else altogether that might work with an item like a pair of sunglasses or a flash memory chip.
Not to single out this quote, per se, but what is the deal with Nigerians?

So are we confusing/equating a possibly legitimate 2nd chance offer from an eBayer with criminal activity perpetrated by alleged Nigerians? Or, was the offer blantantly fraudulent? I have sent several of these offers myself as a seller on eBay. (Better check my accent.)

Are all Internet criminals Nigerians that happen to speak English with an accent that we oh-so-perfect speakers refer to as "non-native"? Are we not, each of us, "non-native" speakers of English with the possible exception of the occasional Brit, or two? Is there anyone out there who doesn't have an accent?

Perhaps we should all be equal opportunity bigots and suspect everyone... Mom? Did you do it?
Notus
The South Wind Whistle Manufactory
Home of the South Wind pennywhistle
www.southwindwhistle.com

Working to create and sustain positive energy throughout the universe via the Butterfly Effect.

One whistle, one whistler, one tune at a time...
Entropy

Post by Entropy »

notus wrote: Not to single out this quote, per se, but what is the deal with Nigerians?

Perhaps we should all be equal opportunity bigots and suspect everyone... Mom? Did you do it?
They are refered to as "Nigerian Scams" because the vast majority of the emails come from people claiming to be from Nigeria. If it makes you feel any better according to Snoopes, in its earliest recorded incarnation (circa 1920s) it was known as "The Spanish Prisoner" con.
[/i]
missy

Post by missy »

every single one of these I've gotten (the wanting to buy stuff, the dead person with no relatives, etc.) has supposedly come from Nigeria. Since I don't follow up on them, I have no way of knowing where they actually come from - but they do say Nigeria.

I got two of the no relative ones today. From different addresses, but worded exactly the same (and addressed to Dear Sir).

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

A high number of these scams come from Nigeria (Cote d'Ivoire is probably #2) based on the originating IP addresses. They use cybercafes.
Once they get a sucker, they often turn them over to someone in Amsterdam or Madrid.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.