OT: Attention Irish Bouzouki Players

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hillfolk22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-04-17 08:41, ScottStewart wrote:
Laura, if you are interested in buying rather than building, there's a maker you should check out. I, too, play guitar, and mandolin, and I've been looking into getting a bouzouki. The maker is Rick Felkel of Elloree Guitars. From writing to owners of his instruments, they are all satisified owners, the instruments sound very good and are not badly priced. He has a bouzouki on ebay right now - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =858628752. From there you can get to his website. When I buy, I'll most likely get a bouzouki and a mandolin from him. Just a little more info for you.

"Studies reveal that 82% of the population will believe anything when you
use a percentage in your statement"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ScottStewart on 2002-04-17 08:42 ]</font>

I noticed that no one has placed a bid on it yet. Another thing I noticed is it has a bridge saddle like guitars do.

Question to anyone who knows the answer to it. Which is better, having the strings come from a bridge saddle or at the end of the instrument like a mandolin? Or does it make any difference. How is the action and tonal quality affected?

I would think the bracing of the instrument would have to be different when all of the string tension is coming from the bridge saddle. Of course that is just a shot in the dark. What little I know about building instruments.

Laura

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hillfolk22 on 2002-04-17 12:42 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-04-17 12:38, hillfolk22 wrote:
Question to anyone who knows the answer to it. Which is better, having the strings come from a bridge saddle or at the end of the instrument like a mandolin? Or does it make any difference. How is the action and tonal quality affected?
I wouldn't want to answer that in any unqualified way but I think it does make a difference in tone. I have some very limited experience playing a couple of instruments with a pin bridge and they are very nice. If I played a lot, I would definitely investigate buying one. The ones I played were made by John (?) Hullah in England. I'm not sure how to characterize the sound. I think you'd find this bouzouki warmer in tone and probably quieter than ones with a spruce top and a "floating" bridge with a tailpiece at the end. Isn't the one under discussion the one with a cedar top. That's another factor to consider. It is generally warmer than spruce. A freind of mine who is a professional cittern player swears by pin (guitar) type bridges and is the owner of the two that I have tried. Also note that the kit bouzouki has a spruce laminated top, not a solid top. That may do something to the tone too.

Steve
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Laura;
I play mandolin and guitar, and I've played various bouzoukis, octave mandolins, mandocellos, and mandolas. If you play the guitar, bouzouki wouldn't be that hard to pick up. It depends on what you want to play. The bouzouki is mostly a rhythm instrument in Irish music. As others have pointed out, the bouzouki, unlike the mandolin, has a very long scale, which makes picking fiddle tunes somewhat difficult. After several frustrating experiences with various members of the mandolin family, I've come to the conclusion that, except for the mandolin, you'd be better off with a 12-string guitar. Although it's not a traditional Irish instrument, it sounds very nice in Irish music. American guitarist Dan Crary does a lot of Irish music with the 12 string. I hope this doesn't add to your confusion.
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Also note that the kit bouzouki has a spruce laminated top, not a solid top. That may do something to the tone too.

Steve
Now aint that a kick in the pants!?
I overlooked that.

Bartleby wrote.
[/quote]
You'd be better off with a 12 string guitar.
[/quote]

The neck on the 12 string is wider... am I right?

The neck on my guitar is a narrower neck than the more standard size necks. I like that feature.

Now there's another question the width of the neck of the bouzouki. (4 course of course) Would you say it is the width of a standard guitar, more or less...

Again thanks for all of the informative replies. This helps to narrow it down a bit.

Laura
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The width of the neck of my bouzouki is slightly less than my guitar which is about 1 1/2". Both guitars and bouzoukis can vary but I'd say my bouzouki is a little wide. Some can be too narrow. I don't know much about the width of a 12-string guitar neck but the neck of my 12-string cittern is not too much wider than a standard guitar. I'd dearly love to get rid of the thing too. Hint. Anyway, I think an 8-string bouzouki is just right for accompanying Irish music. The 12-string can be much too thick for my taste. I like fairly spare, droney accompaniment. Zan Mcleod demonstrates how the bouzouki is good for what he calls "partial chords". For instance, he uses the arpeggiated notes G, A and D in place of a regular G chord. You can do that stuff all over the place with a bouzouki. I'm not saying you can't with a 12-string guitar but I'm biased for the bouzouki. There's just less to deal with than a guitar. Listen to Alec Finn's accompaniment on Mary Bergin's first album. He only uses a 6-string zouk.

Steve
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

Steve,
Details on the cittern you have, please, and much do you want to get rid of it for?
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On 2002-04-17 16:28, ScottStewart wrote:
Steve,
Details on the cittern you have, please, and much do you want to get rid of it for?
Hey Scott,

Do you realize that you may just be the only person I know in my neck of the woods. Meaning OHio that would be owning one if you purchase from Steve or an Elloree?

Hmmm.... didn't you mention that you live in northern Ohio? :grin: :wink:

Let's see this summer, Cedar Point.... How can I work that in my vacation plans? :smile: