How to restore the sheen to my brass

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to restore the sheen to my brass

Post by ausdag »

Back in my young and foolish days I did a very silly thing and sprayed laquer on my brass bits hoping it would act like the laquer that brass-instrument makers use for trumpets etc. Only thing, it all peeled and chipped off within a few months. So I polished it all off again, but now my brass work is very tarnished and blotchy. What's a good thing to do to restore it to its former, pre-'laquer tragedy' state which will also preserve the sheen for at least while?

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Marcelo Muttis

Brass sheen pre lacquer tragedy

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hi, I think you must put the brass parts in pieces (if it possible) and polish it with a machine and polish paste (not brasso or similar) I mean a more accurate product. Every polish results better with the machine speed.
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
totokots
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

You can use any metal polish. There is one called "Duraglit" which works well. But brass will tarninsh relatively quickly: probably within a couple of weeks the bright sheen will be gone again just from exposure to the atmosphere, and handling.

I prefer the look of dull brass. At least that's my motivation for not polishing the pipes every fortnight.
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Remove old laquer carefully . Use fine (800, 1200) sandpaper to take deep scracthes away from metal parts.Protect wooden parts with tape etc. Finally polishing( if you dont have machine), glue soft leather or" heavy wool" sheet(sorry not know now the englishword for it) etc
on the flat wooden /plactic stick and Use metal polishing paste or godlsmiths polishing paste (white dialux good for brass)) on it , crossing movements with
stick first, and at last with soft piece of cotton fabric.
You can't avoid oxcidacing with brass by time, but small amount of carwax etc. keeps it shiny a bit longer. Be carefull with wooden parts.
Good luck
Mikko
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Don't touch it. I firmly believe that the older and dirtier pipes look the more credibility the piper has. It looks like he's been through hell and back and managed to keep his pipes intact. That way, if you play a duff note at a session, you can say "Well, that's the Sean Nos way of playing it". Not only will every other player believe you, but next time round, they'll probably play the same duff note. (Lesson 47 of Session Etiquette - always defer to the most senior musician).
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I also believe that pipes are attractive when they develop a patina. But if you are playing for a wedding, or other formal occasion, I think that showing up with a worn looking set is not much better than wearing your best chinos, Converse red high-tops, and a Ramones concert t-shirt to the same function. Unless you laquer the brass, it will resume the original "I've been on the road since Harrington was a lad" look in the matter of a few weeks.
Or, I could be wrong :P
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

daveboling wrote:But if you are playing for a wedding, or other formal occasion, I think that showing up with a worn looking set is not much better than wearing your best chinos, Converse red high-tops, and a Ramones concert t-shirt to the same function.
......whooooops! :shock: ....uh...I better update my performance wardrobe!!! :D
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

A damp rag rubbed in cigarette ash spruces up brass nicely without going too far and making it bright as new.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

if you can get the set looking like it's over 100 years old, there is an attractiveness that can't be matched...and imainly do weddings and play in a tux.

actually, i'm trying to figure out how to get my brass to tarnish quicker, because it makes the engravings stand out more.

i like the look of tarnished brass, or polished nickel-silver...
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

The best paste polish I've found is a German product called Happich Simichrome Polish. It was designed originally for tool and die molds but I found out about it from my jeweler. It works well for tarnish removal and gives a high polish with less effort than Brasso. It leaves a protective film that retards tarnishing. k
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I've had great success with this stuff. It leaves a protective coating on the metal too which is nice.

http://www.capecodpolish.ca/

It won't get into the deep tarnish unless you make a buffer with it for your bench grinder.

Patrick.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Thanks for the advice everyone. My pipes do have that 'antique' look, but for wedding and such, it would be nice to shine them up a bit, and Brasso just doesn't seem to cut it.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

I use Nev-R-Dull on my NSP's. I just pinch off a piece and wipe down the brass (keys included) and then buff w/ a cotton cloth. Virtually no fuss and it doesn't leave any of that "flaky white stuff" in crevices...etc.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, I'm not a piper but a fluter. I keep the brass rings on my flutes looking like new by using a Goddard's Silver Polishing Cloth.

I can give them a rub without having to remove them (fank gawd, the rings aren't sposed to come off), and the cloth doesn't damage the surrounding woodwork.

Also, the cloth is apparently impregnated with some sort of tarnish retardant, so it takes months for the shine to fade. Also works brilliantly on brass whistles.

Goddard's also do a brass and copper polishing cloth, but I haven't been able to find one locally. Besides, the silver one works a treat.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

NEVERDULL

Post by rgouette »

Ditos on that stuff (NeverDull).
I used it in the navy to shine the brass & it sure works well on my set.

rich