What's wrong with Israel?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What's wrong with Israel?

Post by Azalin »

There's something I don't understand at all. With all of the bad stuff that happened to the jews in the second world war, why is Israel practically doing the same thing to the palestinians? Invading lands, destroying properties, army shooting innocent people as colateral damage? I thought that if one nation knew better than this it would be Israel. Instead, israelis are marching in the streets of Israel to protest against giving palestinians their land back. Anyway, I really don't get it.

Edited:

After a comment from Bloomy and insults from Philo, I realize that this sentence is wrong:
why is Israel practically doing the same thing to the palestinians?
That's not really what I think anyway. A better sentence would be:
why is there some similarities between what jews had to go through in the past and what palestinians are going through right now?
That's much better, in my opinion.
Last edited by Azalin on Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I don't understand a lot of things that happen in that part of the world.
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many Israelis are so AGAINST pulling out of the disputed areas.

What I *really* don't get is why the home countries of the "Palestinians" don't alleviate their pain and suffering by letting them back in their own countries. Unless...they're using those poor people as proxies to fight Israel.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't get it either. There's a lot of US policy toward Isreal I don't get.

By golly, I finally agree wholeheartedly with Azelin on something. The road to peace.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Flyingcursor wrote: By golly, I finally agree wholeheartedly with Azelin on something. The road to peace.
That's Azalin but yeah, we seem to agree! :-) I'd be curious to hear the version of some native israelis, I wonder what they're being taught and if they're really aware of the palestinian status, or their own past.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Jeff Stallard wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why so many Israelis are so AGAINST pulling out of the disputed areas.
Two reasons principally. First, a minority of Jews, the settlers and their supporters, believe in 'Greater Isreal.' This involves expanding until Israel reoccupies all of the areas that at one time or another were part of Isreal and Judea which is considerably more land than Israel currently occupies. Governments in Israel seem inevitably to be coalitions so, even though the majority of Israelis probably regard the settlers as unhelpful and provocative pests, it is often necessary to pander to tehm to form a government.

The second reason is security. I guess an occupied territory acts as a buffer zone between Israel proper and fully autonomous Arab countries.
Jeff Stallard wrote:What I *really* don't get is why the home countries of the "Palestinians" don't alleviate their pain and suffering by letting them back in their own countries. Unless...they're using those poor people as proxies to fight Israel.
The 'home' country is mainly Israel iself. Israel is the old Palestine with the Palestinians largely displaced. So the home countries of which you speak were simply hosts to Palestinian refugee camps. Very few countries want permanent refugee camps. Another complication is that some areas of the old Palestine—eg, the West Bank—were incorporated into modern Jordan. But the residents of the West bank don't regard themselves as Jordanian. They regard themselves as Palestinian.

OK, I don't pretend that this clears up all the puzzles.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Azalin wrote:... I wonder what they're being taught and if they're really aware of the palestinian status, or their own past.
My guess is that they are very well aware of their own past and of the status of the Palestinians. I also think that the two aren't comparable by any stretch of the imagination.
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Religious belief gets mixed up in this, as well. A lot of Israelis believe the land truly belongs to them because it is their belief that their God gave it to them.

--James
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Bloomfield wrote:
Azalin wrote:... I wonder what they're being taught and if they're really aware of the palestinian status, or their own past.
My guess is that they are very well aware of their own past and of the status of the Palestinians. I also think that the two aren't comparable by any stretch of the imagination.
True, maybe few similarities would be a better decription.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Flyingcursor wrote:I don't get it either. There's a lot of US policy toward Isreal I don't get.
I believe it has something to do with the fact that Israel as a government is the only democracy in the Middle East.
IRTradRU?
missy

Post by missy »

I don't understand it all, but this is my "take":

You have one group that claims to have some claim on the area going back 3000 years or so. You have another group with the same claim going back 2000 years or so. You also have another 2000 year old group that has interest in the area partaining to holy places in their religion.

Then you have different factions of each of the above groups, some of which tend to be violent, some of which refuse to acknowledge the various differences in their own groups, much less the entirely different other groups.

And somehow or another - everyone is supposed to live peacefully side by side.

I have no idea HOW anyone decides who has the "right" to the area. I do feel that no matter what, there will be a group that doesn't agree with any of the conclusions and will fight against it - either diplomatically or violently or both.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Azalin,
If you really want to understand the situation you are going to have to do a bit of reading. These issues have been decades, if not centuries, in the making. A paragraph on C&F will not clarify them. If you enjoy historical fiction I suggest you read James Michener's book The Source. It's a nice introduction to the amazing complexities of the lands we call Israel and/or Palestine today.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

burnsbyrne wrote:Azalin,
If you really want to understand the situation you are going to have to do a bit of reading. These issues have been decades, if not centuries, in the making. A paragraph on C&F will not clarify them. If you enjoy historical fiction I suggest you read James Michener's book The Source. It's a nice introduction to the amazing complexities of the lands we call Israel and/or Palestine today.
This is correct of course. For a (well, one) Jewish perspective on the situation, see Bernard Lewis' Semites and Anti-Semites. For a Palestinian perspective, see Edward Said's The Politics of Dispossession.
spittin_in_the_wind

Re: What's wrong with Israel?

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

The only way I can understand it, is the observation that abused children often grow up to be abusers. It seems that a similar psychology could be at work here. Part of the problem seems to be de-humanizing the other party, which has always been a very effective way of allowing people to do nasty things to someone else, either as individuals or as a group.

Robin
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

When I'm feeling cynical, I explain it as follows:

After the Holocaust, knowing that their own countries and cultures had their own strong anti-Semitic currents, and feeling guilty as a result, the victorious European countries, who still had political control over much of the Near East, decided, "We'll give the Jews what the Zionists have been calling for. That'll make us feel better, and all we have to do is to throw out a bunch of Arabs that no one cares about anyhow."

The Palestinians were very much in the position of the Native Americans from 1492 on. A bunch of Europeans (which is what the Zionists were, for the most part) sporting high-tech weapons, sophisticated military tactics, and sense of manifest destiny (combined with the trauma of near extermination for a little extra boost) came in and took their land, rarely seeing the original inhabitants as human beings with rights of their own.

It should come as no surprise that people don't always apply the lessons of their own mistreatment to others. In the US we've seen anti-Semitic Blacks, anti-Black Japanese-Americans, and so on. We've seen people who came to America to escape religious persecution attempt to persecute those of other faiths.

I'm afraid that it will take something really horrible to change things in the Near East, because self-righteousness is very hard to give up, and it exists on both sides. There are all sorts of rational approaches that could provide a solution, but people are not nearly as rational as they think they are.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe