[COMMERCIAL POST] - New 'Stealth' Mouthpiece

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

[COMMERCIAL POST] - New 'Stealth' Mouthpiece

Post by raindog1970 »

I've been spending my recent R&D time on a mouthpiece revision... the low F is still coming, but I just couldn't get this idea out of my head!
The internal design is the same as before, but the exterior has a much more traditional appearance.
You could easily sneak this new design into a session where 'fancy-pants' whistles are frowned upon, so I'm calling it the 'Stealth'... please don't shoot me! :P
Not to worry - the sound and playability are virtually untouched by the design revision.
Photos are available on my website... and I promise that I'll work on the low F design when I have some more R&D time! ;)

http://webpages.charter.net/raindog1970
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Looks good, Gary, but the old ones do, too. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Looks real good. Two thumbs up. Part where the mouthpiece and tube join shorter?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Beautiful machining, my man!! Keep up the good work.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Very nice. I just sent you an e-mail ...

LJ
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I think we can have this discusson here, since it applies to whistlemaking in general)

Hey Gary,

I saw that you say your whistles are tuned with Cnat OXXOXX. Can you make one that's tuned to OXXOOO? Can whistle makers control that aspec of a whistle? Or is it one of those things where they make a whistle and then figure out which is the best Cnat?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
lyrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lyrick »

Gary, if you want to take this stealth thing a step further you could offer them in "Generation" Red and "Feadog" Green, so they look like cheap plastic.
Love...Serve...Remember
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

It appears that all the new ones will be this style. Will the low G have this style head as well? Do I have to put another whistle on my want list?

It looks great Gary but so does the one I have.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

While red and green might make an attractive whistle head, I'd like to see a modern head in the same colors (black and white) as the older retrofit head. I get a lot of comments on the old black and white when I get it out. I've taken an oak barrel and sanded it so it looks sand blasted to put it on. It almost has a tuxedo look.
Anyone else tried sanding a nickle tube? They look cool that way and don't slip in your hands.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I've used fine grade steel wool on my Clarke Original--elimates the gold diamonds, and gives it a silky feel with a matte finish.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Try it on an oak barrel. Looks really cool, and it's not slippery any more.
If you sand too much, you'll start to see brass showing through. It will start showing around the holes first, which is sorta cool in itself.
How bout insted of a red or green delrin head, a blue one on a sandblasted finish nickle tube.........
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I like it. Black head, brass tube...elegant look to it and very down-to-business at the same time! Very nice.

Gary, could you expand a bit on the differences between your wide and narrow-bore D? If you don't want thread drift, you might PM me. :)
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

vomitbunny wrote:Part where the mouthpiece and tube join shorter?
The step down in diameter is now just below the blade ramp instead of just above the window.
I can now mill away a little more material for the lip curve on my 1/2" mouthpieces, which makes them even more comfortable... the other sizes were never a problem with the old design.
Other than that, the 'Stealth' is identical except for the acetal fastening pin... which is really a necessity with the new design.
FJohnSharp wrote:I saw that you say your whistles are tuned with Cnat OXXOXX. Can you make one that's tuned to OXXOOO? Can whistle makers control that aspec of a whistle? Or is it one of those things where they make a whistle and then figure out which is the best Cnat?
To get a good OXXOOO with thin-walled tubing requires bore perturbations... and that's a grey area for me.
With thicker walled tubing, it is indeed possible to get a good OXXOOO... in fact, thicker tubing favors OXXOOO by default.
Conical bores may also play a part in which cross-fingering works best, but that's a grey area for me as well.
lyrick wrote:Gary, if you want to take this stealth thing a step further you could offer them in "Generation" Red and "Feadog" Green, so they look like cheap plastic.
There's a supplier in Shiner Texas that stocks a variety of colored acetal rod, but I haven't contacted them to check the availability of the necessary diameters, or to see if their pricing is competitive with my current supplier.
I've always favored the idea of offering a variety of colors, but not many people have requested anything other than black... and just using one color does have the advantage of keeping my overhead low.
RonKiley wrote:It appears that all the new ones will be this style. Will the low G have this style head as well?
Yes, all whistles from now on will have the 'Stealth' mouthpiece... unless someone is feeling nostalgic and requests the old style.
I'm not going to officially offer both versions, but I wouldn't turn down a request for the old style.
vomitbunny wrote:While red and green might make an attractive whistle head, I'd like to see a modern head in the same colors (black and white) as the older retrofit head. I get a lot of comments on the old black and white when I get it out.
Black and white is definitely an option... so is solid white, but most people seem to prefer solid black.
My current supplier stocks white acetal rod in all the necessary diameters, and it's cheaper than black.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I could tell a difference when I saw it this morning, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I like it.