Low F Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Low F Whistles

Post by Unseen122 »

I am considering a Low F let's say no more than $200 US I want a Flute or whistle a combo is preferable but ther are not many of those. So what is the best?
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Save a bit of cash and go for either Mike Grinter or Phil Hardie...or both

R
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

RobBBQ wrote:Save a bit of cash and go for either Mike Grinter or Phil Hardie...or both

R
don't forget the overton..
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My advice...go and try out as many as you can and buy the one you feel comfortable with. But you can't go wrong with any mentioned above.

Good Luck
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Phil Hardy's Kerry Pro low F is the greatest on the market, IMHO, but his New Range Chieftain in that key is quite good too. I own one of each, though I find myself using the Pro alot more often in gigs and such. Either one of those would definitely fit the bill, though the NR Chieftain one is cheaper and easier to get. You might contact Phil to see what he has available - sometimes he has a K-pro just lying around.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Or, you could wait and try to be the first kid on your block to get a Humphrey low F: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=25767
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

RobBBQ wrote:Save a bit of cash and go for either Mike Grinter or Phil Hardie...or both

R
Mike Grinter does not make whistles (according to his website) but his keyless flutes cost 1200 euro which is way out of my price range. The Cheiftains/K-pros are hard to find in the key of F it seems. The Overton is $10 over my set limit. No matter what site I am on people always suggest things thatare a little out of my price range. What about the Burke in F?
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

The Burke alpro low F is a really decent whistle; it is, however, a little too "pure" sounding for some folks. I have one, as well as a Hoover CPVC in the same key, and have absolutely no urge toward any other low F.
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

Grinter does make whistles - you just have to ask him to make you one/order one from him. It's sort of an 'off-the-menu' item with him - his current website is out of date anyway. I know Kevin Crawford has whistles in low F and low Eb from him.

You can order a NR Chieftain F online from Phil Hardy's website shop - I'm sure there are several dealers across the country who carry them as well. The K-Pros, like I said, are a bit more difficult to get because he makes them by hand and only by custom-order. Another option you might consider is getting a PVC Water Weasel in Low F from Glenn Schultz. I used to have one and really enjoyed playing it, but sold it once I got my Hardys - only like $85 or so from what I remember.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Unseen122 wrote:

R
Mike Grinter does not make whistles (according to his website) but his keyless flutes cost 1200 euro which is way out of my price range. The Cheiftains/K-pros are hard to find in the key of F it seems. The Overton is $10 over my set limit. No matter what site I am on people always suggest things thatare a little out of my price range. What about the Burke in F?
Grinter's low-F is, I think, 300 euro, still out of your price range, but in some people's minds it's becoming kind of the archetypal low-F whistle.

As to whether the Burke is for you or not, it depends on your taste. I don't own one of his low-F's, but I've played one, and have his low whistles in C, D, E, and G. The thing that they have going for them is they're incredibly easy to play and wonderfully consistent. The AlPros have a pure (relative to low whistles) sound, whereas the composites are a little woodier. OTOH, if you're after the "cosmic drainpipe" sound of Overton-style whistles, the Burke won't do it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I know it's a bit out of your range but I'll second the vote for a Goldie Overton. I had to sell mine but it was a wonderful whistle after it warmed up.

I bet the Humphrey whistles will be very nice as well. Humphrey D's are my favorite.

-Brett
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Phil announced that he has started making the Pro's again. He is either doing them on an as ordered basis or in small groups as enough of a particular key is ordered. Contact him directly for details.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The convincing claims to have a low F to die for usually concern Grinter or, less often, Copeland. I have a Grinter which is a wonderful instrument. I can also strongly recommend the Overton, though, which is only subtly different from the Grinter in playing characteristics but hugely different in price. I've even heard Grinters described as 'wooden Overtons'. This isn't seriously misleading as regards sound.

To put it briefly, I can't imagine that any Grinter fan would be disappointed with an Overton. For the extra few dollars, it's well worth it.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Wombat wrote:The convincing claims to have a low F to die for usually concern Grinter or, less often, Copeland. I have a Grinter which is a wonderful instrument. I can also strongly recommend the Overton, though, which is only subtly different from the Grinter in playing characteristics but hugely different in price. I've even heard Grinters described as 'wooden Overtons'. This isn't seriously misleading as regards sound.

To put it briefly, I can't imagine that any Grinter fan would be disappointed with an Overton. For the extra few dollars, it's well worth it.
Second the Overtons. There are specially great keys for certain makers, and I think Colin Goldies greatest keys are the low F, the low A, and of course the low D.

"Wooden Overtons"? Great way of putting it. Hehehe :D
/Bloomfield
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have an Overton Low F. I am leaving on a road trip today. I grabbed it to take with me for playing while I am gone.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus