professional irish wood flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

professional irish wood flutes

Post by cavefish »

who makes them, what do you guys and gals recommend etc. FILL ME WITH YOUR WISDOM
Henke

Post by Henke »

There are loads of makers of high quality, professional grade wooden flutes. Have a look at this directory: http://www.firescribble.net/flute/makers.html . You'll find most of the makers there, with a small description and links to their websites if they have one, or contact info. If you see something you like, do a search here and you'll probably find lots of info.

Some of the most popular contemporary makers among the professionals of our tradition are:
Patrick Olwell; Matt Molloy, Seamus Egan and others.
Hammy Hamilton; Deirdre Havlin, Paul McGrattan, etc.
Sam Murray: John Wynne, Barry Kerr and many, many more.
Chris Wilkes: Jean-Michael Veillon, Claire Mann among others.
Michael Grinter: Kevin Crawford, Kevin Ryan, to name a few. :)

Edited to add that you shouldn't just look at what the professionals play. There are many other makers of quality flutes that are probably just as good, although I haven't seen any pro's play them yet. You might also want to check out Terry McGee, Dave Copley, Casey Burns and George Ormiston. People with first hand experience can tell you more about each of these makers, that's why I suggest you do a searsh. Also you might want to consider a restored antique. Most of these flutes are copies or at least based on the old flutes from the 19th century, they are the standard and lots of professionals prefer the old flutes.

Cheers
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Just wanted to add that Tom Doorley (Danu) uses an Olwell. Also Desi Seery you forgot him this is what Tom used before he got his Olwell.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Unseen122 wrote:Just wanted to add that Tom Doorley (Danu) uses an Olwell. Also Desi Seery you forgot him this is what Tom used before he got his Olwell.
I also forgot about other great players who uses Olwells: John Skelton, June Ní Chormaic, Sean Ryan, Harry McGowan, Laurence Nugent, Peter Molloy, Mike Rafferty, Mark Roberts, Tara Diamond, and probably many more. I also forgot to mention lots and lots of other good makers. Seriously, they were just examples, they're pretty much all there in that directory however.
sturob

Post by sturob »

And my personal favorite, Loretto Reid, plays an Olwell.

Stuart
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

This is one of the primary foci of the board. You'd do best to read 10 or 20 pages' worth of posts. This will give you info as to which flutes are favored, but more importantly, you'll also get a feel for the different posters' different points of view. That is, why different people favor different flutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: professional irish wood flutes

Post by Loren »

cavefish wrote:who makes them, what do you guys and gals recommend etc. FILL ME WITH YOUR WISDOM
Uhhh......right. Perhaps you could first put out a little effort of your own? Try browsing back over the last 30 pages or so of this forum, that ought to about cover it.

Loren
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: professional irish wood flutes

Post by kkrell »

cavefish wrote:who makes them, what do you guys and gals recommend etc. FILL ME WITH YOUR WISDOM
And of course for a list of players and their flutes they use, with sound samples. check out the "Wooden Flute Obsession" CD pages at http:/www.worldtrad.org

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Kevin, you're back! Good to see you!

Feeling well, I hope? You were in our thoughts, you know.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Peggy wrote:Kevin, you're back! Good to see you!

Feeling well, I hope? You were in our thoughts, you know.
Hi! I'm doing pretty well since the drain was removed Wednesday. I've managed to get out (driving myself) a few times, but tire easily and still have some back pain. Not bad for having had someone poke a hole into my kidney and run a jackhammer for 4+ hours. My stepdad had kidney surgery in "the old days", open surgery, slicing thru back muscles, scar halfway across the back, etc. So I'm quite amazed with these results. I'll probably make it to the next Tuesday session, although I am limited on how deep a breath I can take without hurting.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Well, good! You're on the road to recovery. It is amazing surgery, isn't it?

That reminds me . . . I need to come by and order my copy of WFO! Expect it soon!

(Done!)
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

flutes

Post by cavefish »

HEY LOREN ,YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A SMART ASS ABOUT IT. -YOU KNOW ,VERY FORUM HAS SOMEONE JUST LIKE YOU, SOME ONE WHO IS JUST TOO SMART , AND CANNOT TOLERATE A SO CALLED LOWER MENTALITY-THANK YOU VERY MUCH
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Please don't take Loren's post amiss.
It's fine you ask and we have covered this
ground twenty times; glad to do it again,
and there is a lot of info for you already
if you go back.

Also you might check the flute lichen thread
and search on the names of flutes there.
Pages of commentary are available
on the flutes named here and others too.

We're willing to fill you with our wisdom,
and you will learn a lot helping yourself too.
Thanks.
cavefish

flutes

Post by cavefish »

thanks
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: flutes

Post by Loren »

cavefish wrote:HEY LOREN ,YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A SMART ASS ABOUT IT. -YOU KNOW ,VERY FORUM HAS SOMEONE JUST LIKE YOU, SOME ONE WHO IS JUST TOO SMART , AND CANNOT TOLERATE A SO CALLED LOWER MENTALITY-THANK YOU VERY MUCH
I tend to give common courtesy when and where I receive it. And it's just common courtesy, when posting a question on a forum, to first do some research of your own. Our time is as valuable and limited as yours, and many of us have spent a fair amount of time answering some of your questions quite a few times here already, some quite recently in fact. Had you expended a little time and energy of your own first, and then posted something like: "Hi, I've looked over many of the recent posts and have additional questions regarding makers X, Y, and Z", or " Hello, I'm new to all of this and tried to search the archives but had no luck, could someone make a few suggestions....) I bet you would have gotten many more positive responses. As it stands, to simply show up and say "Educate me" is fairly rude, so I responded in kind. Seems fair to me.

Loren