learning low d

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
falcon16 nut

learning low d

Post by falcon16 nut »

Anybody have any really good tutorials for the low d? Would a book for soprano whistles work (that probably sounds really stupid :roll: )? I know the way you hold the whistle is different, but what about fingerings and breathing? Any help would be great. Thanks.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

'The Low Whistle Book' would be a good one for you, and also, Phil Hardy has some video tutorials on his website that are free: Kerrywhistles.com
It would be best to download them and save them for future use, so you can use them at your will.

The piper's grip is usually a must for the Low D. It takes time to get used to it, but it's much easier than trying to use fingertips.

You can also find some information on Chiff's main website.
~~~~
Barry
emmline

Post by emmline »

I have The Low Whistle Book which is, as far as I know, the only tutorial dedicated specifically to low whistle. It contains some useful starter info regarding grip, etc, but I don't thoroughly like it. This is because the tunes provided are, IMHO, best suited for higher whistles, at least as played by me. There is a cd provided (it covers about 1/2 the tunes in the book,) which ably demonstrates that speedy ITM jigs and reels can be played effectively on low whistle---but---only, I think, by the very proficient. It is just the nature of low whistle--larger, hard to cover holes, slower responsiveness, lower pitch--that I prefer to play slower tunes on it. The low whistle book contains very few slow tunes.
But then again...as another chiffer likes to say...your mileage may vary.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

the whistle shop explains The Grip very good too! http://www.thewhistleshop.com/beginners/lowd/lowd.htm

personally, i believe conical whistles play much easyer.
Kysh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing irish music for about three decades. Flute player primarily, also perforce whistle player. Learning harp. Been a member of C&F for literally ever.

Post by Kysh »

I don't really agree that the piper's grip is mandatory. You get much more conrol and finesse with your fingertips, anyway. Whichever way works best for you go for, but don't just assume you must use the PG.

-Kysh
Uses fingerpads
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Just looked up the Low whistle tutorials at www.kerrywhistles.com (under movies). They seem very nice and informative. Although I doubt they'll cover as much as the big tutorial books or programmes in such short time they seem to cover a great deal. They should get you off to a good start for free. Well worth downloading.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I downloaded the Kerry whistle Tutorial and burned to a cd. Now I can refer to it easily. It covers all the basics.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

First off, Ron. I like the avatar.

Re:piper's grip. I migrated towards it and found it to be the most comfortable for me to play, from airs to reels. Whatever feels comfortable. I wouldnt play otherwise

I agree with Emmline on the Low Whistle Book specifically finding out that you needed to buy a 2nd CD to listen to the rest of the tunes. Considering I dont read music overall the book wasnt that helpful; I got more off the links that others have provided. I got a few basics out of it but overall it was like kissing your sister.

The biggest thing I found is that the low D whistle is unforgiving in the upper register. If you are sloppy, you will sound sloppy. You cant convert it into a roll or a cran.

Second biggest is regardless of price get a low whistle that feels good to you. Easier said than done of course but in the long run it will be putty in your hands.

The low whistle takes a lot more practice than its diminutive counterpart between breath, fingering and style but is worth the effort.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Piper's grip is certainly a more relaxed grip than using your finger pads. I've seen a guy who uses his finger pads and plays fast on low d. I've tried using my finger pads and had painful hand fatigue set in pretty quickly. Maybe my hands would get used to it if I did it enough. Maybe, I'd get tendonitis. Beware.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”