Hello all....Newbie here

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BoscoBear
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hello all....Newbie here

Post by BoscoBear »

Hi all!

This is a wonderful messageboard for fellow whistlers or, newbie whistlers like myself :)

I just ordered both a Sweetone and Clare Brass whistle which should be in this week - I have always been fascinated by the sounds of Irish/Celtic music and the whistle seemed like a great place to start!

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated -

Bill
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

Welcome Boscobear.

This is a great place to learn about whistles and many other things. The people are friendly and very helpful. You will enjoy it here.
Howard
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Just wait until WhOA hits! Get ready for the ride of your life! :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jen f

Re: Hello all....Newbie here

Post by jen f »

BoscoBear wrote:I just ordered both a Sweetone and Clare Brass whistle which should be in this week - I have always been fascinated by the sounds of Irish/Celtic music and the whistle seemed like a great place to start!
That's pretty much what I started with. I got a Meg (which is basically a Sweetone, only cheaper) and a Clare. They play and sound very different from each other, so it's good you got two so you can compare. I bet they won't be your last; a year and a half later, I have 14 whistles, and I'm pretty sure I'm not done yet!

Good luck!
ChaoticGemini

Post by ChaoticGemini »

Welcome to the forums from another recent joiner.

Since you're just starting out I would recommed you take a look at some of the tutorials online

Here are 2 that I can think of off the top of my head:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/beginners/tutor/tutor.htm
Les Cruttenden

welcome.

Post by Les Cruttenden »

I started whistling just a couple or so months ago and am already on my seventh whistle...and I love them all. Welcome...hope you enjoy. Les.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Welcome.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

A very warm welcome to you :D
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Welcome to the board and the two whistles you have are good to start with. Yes you will get a lot more. However I would discourage doing that too quickly.

Play the ones you have until they begin to sound better. Typically you will play these whistles and they will be hard to play, they will make squeaks and squawks and you will think they are terrible whistles. If you will play them for a while they will get better and better as you learn breath control and solid fingering. I have whistles that I thought were unplayable a year ago and now they are fine sounding whistles. Are there better whistles out there? Yes there are. But you will find a lot of difference of opinion as to which ones they are. Even the better whistles will not be easy when you first begin. Practice, practice, practice and when you can make the Clare sing then think about other whistles. I would have said the same thing if you had a Generation or a Feadog. I have said this before, most of my whistles can play better than I can.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

What Ron said. Though one of my early cheap whistles really was fairly bad, several others I own went from "barely playable" to "quite nice" when I tried them again after I'd spent a few months with other whistles.

Some of the cheapest whistles can be amazingly good, but they sometimes require more control than beginners have. It sounds like you're pretty well set, though; I think that Sweetones are one of the best beginner whistles - no real quirks to work around. Though I like a few of the other cheapies more (Oak, Feadog, a "good" Gen), they all require more control than a Sweetone - and even though I have that control now, my Sweetones still get play.

But if you get the WhOA bug, Dixon, Susato, Serpent, and Syn all have very good high D whistles for under $40. I'm an enabler, I am. :twisted:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Welcome!!!! :) :party: :)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Welcome to the board, Bill! :party: I also bought a Sweetone and a Clare (nickel one piece) as my first whistles. I still really love the sound of my Clare as a practice whistle. I also agree with RonKiley and his words of wisdom. Don't let WhOA get the best of you just yet...and don't listen to DCrom the enabler! :lol:
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooo :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

More whistles. That fixes most problems.
I've heard practicing is good, too.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
bozemanhc

Post by bozemanhc »

Izzarina,
What do consider important in a "practice whistle". I have always heard that it is important to practice with the whistle that you usually play.
Howard