Jack Goes to Canada

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

You excited eyebrows people never understood mayonnaise people. I'm so saddened. One of my best sandwhich is a cinnamon/raisin baggle with mayonnaise and tuna and cheese. Hmmmm....
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

Azalin wrote:You excited eyebrows people never understood mayonnaise people. I'm so saddened. One of my best sandwhich is a cinnamon/raisin baggle with mayonnaise and tuna and cheese. Hmmmm....
Okay! Now I'm confused... I SERIOUSLY hope you're joking! That's wrong on so many levels.
No I'm not returning...
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

feadogin wrote: You are very complimentary toward everyone, though. I will have to track you down and get the dirt off the record. :twisted:
Justine
Sigh, you know me too well Justine! I'll give you all the dirt this Sunday at the Bodhran.
StevieJ wrote:I think you're already a nicer whistle player than I am - fair play to you.
:lol: As if!! That's the biggest load of cr*p I ever heard. That's even worse that Az paying some girl to come hang out with him for a night so he can tell everyone he has a girlfriend.
No I'm not returning...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

MurphyStout wrote:That's even worse that Az paying some girl to come hang out with him for a night so he can tell everyone he has a girlfriend.
Actually, I'm the one who got "screwed". The deal was that she shows up for one evening, but she keeps on calling and wants a serious relationship. I never paid for *that* ! :D
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Azalin wrote:I never paid for *that* ! :D
Don't worry Az, as a believer in the forces of karma, I think you're going to be paying for a lot of things sooner or later.

And I don't just mean the half-dozen cinnamon bagels you stood me the other night. Time to think of the path of "right livelihood", my boy. :)
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

MurphyStout wrote:
StevieJ wrote:I think you're already a nicer whistle player than I am - fair play to you.
:lol: As if!! That's the biggest load of cr*p I ever heard. That's even worse that Az paying some girl to come hang out with him for a night so he can tell everyone he has a girlfriend.
Parse it carefully, Jack. He said you were a nicer whistle player, not a better whistle player. :twisted:

Of course, I'll freely admit you're a far better whistle player than *I* am, but that doesn't carry the same cachet. :D
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

StevieJ wrote:
Azalin wrote:I never paid for *that* ! :D
Don't worry Az, as a believer in the forces of karma, I think you're going to be paying for a lot of things sooner or later.

And I don't just mean the half-dozen cinnamon bagels you stood me the other night. Time to think of the path of "right livelihood", my boy. :)
Gee, your post is scary! If I were to pay for all of the wrong things I did, I'd better bury myself right away :-) I'm not sure where I'm heading to, but I'd say it's about 50/50 chance I'll get on the "right" path :-)
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The funny thing about the "last tunes" on Sunday was that the bathroom was right over a lecture being given by David Quinn on pipe making in the 20thC. I know the guy who was running the slides and was sitting next to him, and he was one of the organizers of the weekend. So, when first Az (alone) and then Moxy and Jack (the two of them... ahem...) started up some tunes in the bathroom, I got delegated to tell them to stop.

The funny part is that one foot tapping (softly) is very loud!
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

NicoMoreno wrote:So, when first Az (alone) and then Moxy and Jack (the two of them... ahem...) started up some tunes in the bathroom, I got delegated to tell them to stop.
Nico, you have your "ahem"s mixed up. It is much more proper for Moxy and I to be playing with eachother in the bathroom, than Az playing with himself in the bathroom! What kind of message are you trying to send?

Where is Moxy anyways? I hope she's not still exausted from spending a few nights with me :wink:
No I'm not returning...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

NicoMoreno wrote: The funny part is that one foot tapping (softly) is very loud!
Darn, if you knew how true that is. I'm also darn stupid, making the same mistake every time. Today I called up my guitarist friend to record some sets I'd put on a CD for students. We didnt have much time and I wanted to make sure I wouldnt screw up on anything. Well, the recording worked, but my microphone was on the floor, and I was tapping my darn foot! It's so LOUD! I'm so pissed off about this, it's like, I just had to remove my sandals, it wasnt hard to do. Here's a sample, hear it yourself:

http://www.metayer.info/mp3/10.mp3

:x
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

Jack - that was awesome - I nearly peed myself!! And I didn't even need to get around the throng of plaers 'round the loo!

I'm really kicking myself that I couldn't have helped you out to get to the airport!! You should have taken me up on the offer you fool :P (I HATE missing flights!!) You seemed like a load of fun and maybe next year I should take it easy with my pix and relax a bit more! One must remember that these are fleeting moments.

It was really great to meet you and Nico - and always fantastic to see Cara! I must admit, I missed having StevieJ around this year - he's a groovy guy and quite a talent.

(You got full on sushi????)

There are a few things you said you'd explain later that never transpired. Az as a host, Harry Bradley's playing -- c'mon, mayonnaise is a rare treat (for some unfortunate souls in Belize) and Harry is no hack! Did the cold make you grumpy? :lol: I f**g love that bala clava shot!!! hahahaha!!

Catch up wit'ya on the ChiffyChat! Glad to see you got home safe :)
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
moxy

Post by moxy »

cinnamon bagels with mayo?... StevieJ and Az, are we actually living in the same city? did you say tuna?

Jack, it was great meeting you - you're so down to earth and you know so much about ITM. I enjoyed playing with you in the bathroom, although we had to cut it short :wink: because Nico walked in on us... :o

Come on back to Montreal. I'll actually come out to the pub and play with you and the gang next time!

Isn't Cara just a lovely one herself now! The Chris Langan weekend would definitely not have been as glittery without her!

Kathleen Conneely was brilliant, and having her join forces with Sean McComiskey and Patrick Ourceau was unsurpassable. Jack, I've got great recordings of that, so if you didn't manage to record them on the Friday night, let me know and I'll send them to you.

Too bad we can't do that more often...
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

An enjoyable report, Jack

How did you like Hurley's? I've only been there the weekend of the Montréal Highland Games. It's great but sometimes a bit dangerous when it's full of pipe band folk.

I too am curious about your reaction to Harry Bradley but I'm sure you're too wise to say anymore here.

I'm going to try to get to part of the Friday Harbor thing. Maybe I'll get to meet you there.

Cheers,
Aaron
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Azalin wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote: The funny part is that one foot tapping (softly) is very loud!
Darn, if you knew how true that is. I'm also darn stupid, making the same mistake every time. Today I called up my guitarist friend to record some sets I'd put on a CD for students. We didnt have much time and I wanted to make sure I wouldnt screw up on anything. Well, the recording worked, but my microphone was on the floor, and I was tapping my darn foot! It's so LOUD! I'm so pissed off about this, it's like, I just had to remove my sandals, it wasnt hard to do. Here's a sample, hear it yourself:

http://www.metayer.info/mp3/10.mp3

:x
That's some mighty fine foot stomping. Your foot has a great sense of rythm, and the sandal gives it a nice floppy sound. It reminds of a Martin Hayes CD where his foot's tapping in the background on every tune, only your foot tapping is in the foreground.

You have a unique whistling style that's a pleasure to listen to. I know it's you and not the whistle, but may I ask what whistle you're using in the clip? Is there something in the water in Montreal, or what? Or do y'all just not have anything else to do during those long, cold winter nights besides play music. You've got a bunch of good musicians up there.

I've said it before, but I wish you and the other whistlers who know what they're doing would post clips more often. I don't have access to a teacher right now, and every time a clip like this gets posted I hear little things with phrasing and ornaments that I just never would have thought of on my own, and my playing improves because of it. Thanks.
Love...Serve...Remember
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Thanks Lyrick, I appreciate the comments, but I almost did forget about the massive foot stomping and now you just brought the memories back :-) The problem with the recording is also the guitar, it's too loud, microphone should have been closer to the whistle and further away from my foot.

The reason why I don't post much clips anymore is that I really don't feel like I mastered half of what I want to learn, and it's almost shameful to try to give other people examples when there's so many awesome musicians out there. It's the same reason why I get pissed off sometimes at people who constantly post clips thinking they're *the* reference to irish music and want to give the example. I wonder if it's really helping beginners, or just giving them a bad example and making it worse. I guess being around good musicians often and traveling to Ireland often is a humbling experience when it comes to irish music.

Anyway, I'm glad that you appreciate, I would gladly send you a few clips or whatever if you PM or email me.