Need to know: Greatest Westerns of all Time (duels a must)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

"The Fastest Gun Alive", with Glenn Ford, Jeanne Crain, and Broderick Crawford.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Way Out West (Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy).
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

"Open Range"

Okay, it's not "Unforgiven" and Kostner is, well, Kostner and the plot is, well, thin. And the terrible terrible "romance" subplot is pure unadulterated pants. Robert Duvall is good as always though.

But that gunfight at the end... talk about gritty.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Rustler's Rhapsody with Tom Beringer, Patrick Wayne, Andy Griffith and that person from the show Taxi. Hilarious. The ultimate gunfight between two good guys dressed in white.

While not a duel in the traditional sense, my favorite Western of all time is The Wild Bunch. Peckinpah at his finest.

Unforgivin. Excellent.
The Cowboys. There's sort of Dueling.

Rio Bravo is pretty good as well as it's clone El Dorado. Basically the same movie with different characters. Rio Bravo features a has been alcoholic sherriff (Dean Martin) in a town besieged by bad guys. John Wayne and his friend "Colorado" (Ricky Nelson) come to save the day.
El Dorado features a has been alcoholic sherriff (Robert Mitchum) in a town besieged by bad guys. John Wayne and his friend "Mississippi" (James Caen) come to save the day.

Quotes from Rustler's Rhapsody: (from Imdb)

Bob Barber: Ever faced another good guy before?
Rex O'Herlihan: Nope.
Bob Barber: Me neither.
Rex O'Herlihan: Kinda makes you wonder what'll happen.
Bob Barber: I figure the good guy'll win, just like always.
Rex O'Herlihan: Yeah, except we're both good guys.
Bob Barber: Then I figure the most good good guy will win.
Rex O'Herlihan: That's how I figure, too.
Bob Barber: Yep.

Colonel Ticonderoga: You missed! How could you miss?!
Henchman: Even with these scopes we have a target a hundred yards away, maybe more! We've never fired these guns before! There's a definite wind factor AND we have a problem with the sun!
Colonel Ticonderoga: Just shoot him, okay?

Rex O'Herlihan: Give me a tall glass of warm gin with a human hair in it.

Rex O'Herlihan: This is 1884. You've gotta date and date and date and date and sometimes marry 'em even before... you know...
Peter: Now, wait a minute. Are you tellin' me you've never...?
Rex O'Herlihan: Never.
Peter: My God, Rex. You ARE a good guy.

henchmen knock on door
In female voice
Henchman: It's a bunch of your men.
clears throat and talks in deep voice

Rex O'Herlihan: I'll curse if I wanna curse! Damn! Damn, damn, hell, damn, tee tee, doo doo!

Peter: For some reason, the bad guy was always a Colonel who had a beautiful daughter and about a thousand head of cattle which you would hear but never see.

Colonel Ticonderoga: Let me just ask you one question. There's just one thing I'm curious about. Why did you bring the body here? My God, this is a home, people live here!
Henchman: Ah, Colonel, we didn't know what to do with him.
Colonel Ticonderoga: Bury him! How about that! Don't you think that's a good idea?
Henchman: Oh, yes sir, yes sir, Colonel!
Colonel Ticonderoga: I mean, do you think that when somebody dies, they place them permanently on the family couch?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm really surprised that the best ones haven't even been mentioned yet, or hardly at least.

The best is: Culpepper Cattle Company

Runner ups, all excellent in their own right, would include:

Monte Walsh
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
Will Penny
Ulzana's Raid
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

If one can get past the low brow humor, two of the most popular "spaghetti westerns" were,

They Call Me Trinity
Trinity is Still My Name
Reasonable person
Walden
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, it may not have been the greatest western ever made, but the spaghetti "The Great Silence" was memorable if only for the ending...

Apparently, when it was first released in Italy, avid western fans rioted and burned down cinemas at the ending... and the money-men obliged the director to hastily re-shoot an alternative denouement.

I remember it well. The silent hero (literally, he was mute on account of his throat having been cut earlier in life) facing the gang of ruthless killers led by none other than Klaus Kinski... Guess what happens next? Not what you think, if you haven't seen the film!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Great help. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm off to Netflix. :)
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:Great help. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm off to Netflix. :)

Umm, does one actually travel to Netflix? If so, I hope you sent yourself overnight mail, Bloomie.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Here's another vote for "Tombstone". I really liked Val Kilmer's take on Doc Holliday.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

TomB wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Great help. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm off to Netflix. :)

Umm, does one actually travel to Netflix? If so, I hope you sent yourself overnight mail, Bloomie.

Tom
Yes, I never travel anything less than UPS. FedEx in a pinch, I guess.
/Bloomfield
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Does "The Magnificent Seven" have a duel seen? It has been so long since I have seen it,
I seem to remember it was based on ''The Seven Samurai"

"Quigley down under" is a non typical "western" set in Australia.

Good luck
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Oh there's a duel or two in "The Quick and The Dead."

I hesitated to mention it before because the thread title has the word "Greatest" in it, and the only great thing about this film was seeing that obnoxious dweeb Leonardo DiCaprio getting shot...
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

GaryKelly wrote:Oh there's a duel or two in "The Quick and The Dead."

I hesitated to mention it before because the thread title has the word "Greatest" in it, and the only great thing about this film was seeing that obnoxious dweeb Leonardo DiCaprio getting shot...
You are so right.
It is a good western though not exactly believable - and plenty of duels.

For me, The Long Riders is not only my favorite western, but one of my favorite movies. The fact that it's about real folks and then add the real brothers-Carradines play the Youngers,Keaches play the James brothers,
Guests play the Fords,Quaids as the Millers.......then add Belle Starr to mix it up a bit.

If you are not limited to actual theatre releases then add-
Lonesome Dove.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

cowtime wrote:
For me, The Long Riders is not only my favorite western, but one of my favorite movies. The fact that it's about real folks and then add the real brothers-Carradines play the Youngers,Keaches play the James brothers,
Guests play the Fords,Quaids as the Millers.......then add Belle Starr to mix it up a bit.

If you are not limited to actual theatre releases then add-
Lonesome Dove.
I'd forgotten about The Long Riders. Yeah, that's one of my favorites. My very old VHS version is getting unwatchable.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm