Why have an Eb flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Why have an Eb flute?

Post by Gaaslaj »

Just wondered why one would want to have one, since tunes are almost always played using a D flute? J.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

For fun and the rare Eb session.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

To continue in my futile efforts to keep up with Liam Kelly and Dervish. That's why I'd want one.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Supposedly they're easier to play than the D flutes.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

So you can play along and learn the Eb flute tunes on the WFO CDs. :D

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Henke

Post by Henke »

I think they speak a bit faster in the articulations than a D flute, plus they probably take less air, might be good for band work...
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

ditto on all... and if anyone has one they want to give me, don't hesitate to email. :D
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

michael_coleman wrote:ditto on all... and if anyone has one they want to give me, don't hesitate to email. :D
Me too.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I've never played an Eb flute,but having played Eb whistles,the key sounds amazingly 'brighter' than the key of 'D'.
Apparently Eb flutes take less air than a 'normal' 'D' flute- Micho Russell chose to play one in his latter years.
And of course,Matt Molloy's solo album was recorded using an Eb flute.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
croberts

Post by croberts »

I am selling an Eb keyed Radall Carte flute and a Hawkes and Son Eb piccolo on eBay, both have simple system fingerings. They both play well, but I find I seldom play them any more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3778060068

Chris Roberts
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I've never played an Eb flute, but I play my Eb whistle more than my others. It is much brighter, and is a little easier to play. And Eb is a fairly common key, even in some sessions.

Max
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I think when I buy my first non-D flute, I'll get an Eb.
eilam

Post by eilam »

I have one of these: ebay #3778221134 and its a great flute for the money, and a great way to get into the simple system keywork, the key's are not that bad, I have the flute always assembled, and when I'm working on a tune that uses keys, I pick this flute many times during the day when I have a moment, and work on the tune, later on I play it on the D flute.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Because Bb is the relative minor. Otherwise you'd have to add a low Cnat key to play bagpipe tunes on a Bb flute. Sure, Bb fifes have them but they're too bloody shrill.

Cheers,
Aaron
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

eilam wrote:I have one of these: ebay #3778221134 and its a great flute for the money, and a great way to get into the simple system keywork, the key's are not that bad, I have the flute always assembled, and when I'm working on a tune that uses keys, I pick this flute many times during the day when I have a moment, and work on the tune, later on I play it on the D flute.
Me too! The footjoint was a little wobbly on mine but easily fixed. Cheap as a cheap thing and good fun too. I also have the Allan Eb keyless. Not sure I'd agree that they take noticeably less air than a D though.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner