Do we want to keep political and/or religious in 1 thread?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should we continue to try to keep political & religious posts in the mega-thread?

Oui
41%
Non
59%

Total votes: 54

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do we want to keep political and/or religious in 1 thread?

Post by Dale »

Now that we have an OT forum (this one, the Pub), some folks have raised a good question. Should we continue to try to keep the political and religious posts in the mega-thread?
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

How about two mega-threads, one for political, and one for religious?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
glauber

Post by glauber »

Which one means no? :D
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I can't see the point of it. Well I suppose someone might say: I have to plough through dozens of political threads just to find the giggles and the flame wars. Oh, let's be frank. Someone will say that. :lol:
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yes, if it will reduce the possibility of hijackings that turn nasty.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I would like to suggest that we have two sticky megathreads, one "Mostly Political" and one "Mostly Religious," but take a lenient view if people want to post something on either topic in a separate thread.

That way, many political or religious items will go in the megathreads, helping to keep the board from becoming overrun by many separate religious or political threads, but there will be some separate religious and political threads running too.

(As is my usual policy in such matters, I feel very strongly both ways.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
TomB

Post by TomB »

Jerry Freeman wrote: (As is my usual policy in such matters, I feel very strongly both ways.)

Best wishes,
Jerry

Heh! Heh! Great line, Jerry. Your idea is excellent, I think. Many of yours' are though, so no big surprise.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I would like to suggest that we have two sticky megathreads, one "Mostly Political" and one "Mostly Religious," but take a lenient view if people want to post something on either topic in a separate thread.

That way, many political or religious items will go in the megathreads, helping to keep the board from becoming overrun by many separate religious or political threads, but there will be some separate religious and political threads running too.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Well here's another way. Let's also have a frivolous and frothy megathread.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Jerry Freeman wrote:I would like to suggest that we have two sticky megathreads, one "Mostly Political" and one "Mostly Religious," but take a lenient view if people want to post something on either topic in a separate thread.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Yeah--what he said.

I kept looking for the radio button that offered a third choice--one political and one religious thread. Or make them go to yet another forum--Pub Brawl, maybe.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wombat wrote:Well here's another way. Let's also have a frivolous and frothy megathread.
Does this mean that the political/religious sticky thread was supposed to be taken seriously? Oops! :oops:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

mvhplank wrote: Or make them go to yet another forum--Pub Brawl, maybe.

M
I only drop in from time to time but there are fewer flame wars there by far than elsewhere. Vigorous disagreements to be sure and occasional cries of 'foul'. But not the insult trading we often get on other threads.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Darwin wrote:
Wombat wrote:Well here's another way. Let's also have a frivolous and frothy megathread.
Does this mean that the political/religious sticky thread was supposed to be taken seriously? Oops! :oops:
:lol: I hope not.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Darwin wrote:
Seems to me, there's quite a bit of frothing goes on in that sticky thread as it is.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Since we have an Off-Topic forum now, I'd prefer to see separate threads per subject, meaning there could be hundreds of political threads and hundreds of religious threads. No one in their right mind would ever page back through that mega thread looking for a certain post. You'd use search if you could remember the subject. But, if every subject were threaded seperately, it would be easy to see which page you wanted to get to for a particular post within.

The mega thread should not be nuked or taken out of the data base. The contents need to be maintained for searching. There's a lot of good stuff there that is still useful.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

TomB wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote: (As is my usual policy in such matters, I feel very strongly both ways.)

Best wishes,
Jerry

Heh! Heh! Great line, Jerry. Your idea is excellent, I think. Many of yours' are though, so no big surprise.

Tom
Personally, I have my feet planted firmly in mid-air.

Dale