Terminator May Be Terminated!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Whether or not you like his politics, it sounds like you're confusing his roles with reality. The goofy, larger-then-life persona is something he's put together over years as trademark for his acting, not the man himself. He's been quoted in inteviews over the years admitting that he know's that he's not a great actor - his marketability is all in those cartoonish, over-the-top, roles. So that's the face he shows the public.

Long before he ever got into politics, he had a reputation as a shrewd businessman. From what I've read of the man, most the money he's earned with acting over the years has gone into his businesses. Unlike most other well-known Hollywood names, he makes about as much money from his outside interests as acting. He's been in business a long time, too - close to 20 years, I think. And met payroll, worried about cashflow, and, apparently, turned a decent profit.

Much rather have someone like that running my state than the third-rate, weigh-everything-in-an-opinion poll, never-offend-the-unions political hack who he replaced. When Gray Davis became Governor of California, the state had a budget surplus. And if the state had increased it's spending enough to match population growth and inflation (this was already one of the higher-tax-rate, higher-government-expenditure states), California would STILL have a budget surplus.

Much as it pained the political powers-that-be, the majority of the voters - in a very "blue", left-wing state - felt more secure with an untried moderate Republican running the state then the anointed standard bearer of the Democratic party. And, in about the same numbers, they still feel that way. Arnold's done a decent job - not a great job, but a decent job - so far.

If you don't live in California, and aren't familiar with what's been going on in the state, it's easy to limn what's going on here in sound bites and "Governator" images. But in 6 years our legislature and former Governor managed to dig us a hole we'll be lucky climb out in another 6 years. We've a ways to go, but Arnie's making what I think are the right moves, and he *doesn't* pretend that there's a single magic solution to our problems. I respect that.

Didn't mean to run off at the mouth like this, but I'm a lot more optimistic about California's medium-term prospects than I was a couple of years back. And I'm pretty happy that he's our governor, considering the alternative.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

I tend to agree with Crom though Arnie is too moderate for my tastes. And I really distrust this "change the COnstitution so he can run for President" bit.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Weeks, I think we *should* change the Constitution - just insist on the same residency requirements as for any other candidate. Quite honestly, I think there are enough people that would vote against a non-US born candidate that they would need more popularity than ANY candidate in the last 50 years to have even a slight chance. But fair's fair - if you're a citizen, you should be eligible for ALL elective offices.

However, I think that the single best way for that to happen would be for Arnold to promise to not run for President any soon than 2012 (or at all).

And yes, I think Arnold needs to spend some political capitol - he's tried the carrot, now it's time for the stick. His redistricting proposals look like a step in the right direction - anything that upsets that many career politicos can't be all bad. :twisted:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Well said!

I really think you have to live in California to understand the mess our state has been mismanaged into in recent years. We needed a real businessman to turn things around, and so far, I've been very happy with Gov. Arnold's performance in that respect.

If Austria doesn't want him back, that's their loss...we weren't planning on getting rid of him anytime soon anyway!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Redwolf, why do you say "Austria" doesn't want him back? Actually there is just one single member of parliament who said A.S. should loose his Austrian citizenship because he violated the Austrian law severely by using the death penalty. As far as I know, Arnold is very popular with millions of Austrians and they are very proud of him.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

dubhlinn wrote:
claudine wrote:Remember the last dictator who came from Austria wishing to rule the world. Be careful, keep your tinfoil hats ready, youl'll never know.
:lol: :lol:
A bit on the bitchy side. :lol:
Even the Yanks have more sense than that :-?
Surely..then again..??

Slan,
D.

Apparently we don't have too much sense about who we elect. I don't trust Arnie either. The minute I heard some blathering idiot going on about amending the Constitution I cringed with horror.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

dubhlinn wrote:
Guitar Kat =^..^= wrote:Well, okay... he hasn't lived there in 20 years. I don't think he should have duel citizenship anymore. :-?
Look on the bright side,He'll never be the Pres...

Be thankful for small mercies,

Slan,
D. :wink:

Well, there is a movement about to amend the Constitution taking out the "Born in the USA" clause. Started by folks mainly for the express purpose of getting Arnold on the ticket.

Don't think it will happen, but just thought you might be interested in the politicial stuff going on.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm no fan of the "born in the USA" clause myself...I think it's a little silly, frankly. But I do think that anyone who wants to be president should only hold citizenship in the US...dual nationality means dual loyalties, and that's not appropriate for the chief executive of a nation.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
TomB

Post by TomB »

Redwolf wrote:I'm no fan of the "born in the USA" clause myself...I think it's a little silly, frankly. But I do think that anyone who wants to be president should only hold citizenship in the US...dual nationality means dual loyalties, and that's not appropriate for the chief executive of a nation.

Redwolf
Well, if that were the case, I would want to see some number of years as a resident required, as well.

Tom
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I don't think it's silly. Not only should you be born here, you should have spent at least 20 years as a resident. I also think 35 is too young a minimum age. I might be convinced otherwise if there were compelling reasons but right now my trust of any politician is nonexistent.

We all know however that it won't matter what any of us think. It will either pass or fail based on the amount of money the special interests sink into either side.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I think we non-US residents should all be able to vote in the US Presidential elections, since the Office of the President of the USA has such an impact on all our lives these days :)

Of course, the same cannot be said for the Office of Her Majesty's Prime Minister and the oily weasel currently incumbent. Which is very sad really 'cos I still remember Empire Red on the mapi mundi when I were a lad and it brought a certain stiffness to the upper lip way back then.

In desperately seeking a Brit equivalent to Arnie the best I can come up with so far in the House of Commons is Glenda Jackson... shudder... :o
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Redwolf wrote:"born in the USA"
Springsteen for President in 2008! Woohoo!

At least, he's probably got as good a chance of keeping the Hillarator from winning as anybody! :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

And what if they do eliminate the "born in the USA" clause?

Anyone ready for the Ah-nold / Bono ticket in 2012? (Their slogan: U2 can be president!) :o
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
glauber

Post by glauber »

Bono already has a more important job. :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TomB

Post by TomB »

glauber wrote:Bono already has a more important job. :)

....and a better one!