Iran

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Iran

Post by claudine »

God does not love the people in Iran. First they suffered under the dictatorship of the Shah, then they were terrorized by Khomeini and his fanatics. And now the survivors of all these horrors risk to be butchered by Bush's bombs. What have they done to deserve so much misery?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Iran

Post by Walden »

claudine wrote:God does not love the people in Iran.
Yes He does.
Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

If you can't find Osama Bin Laden, invading Iraq will take the peoples' minds off it...if Iraq is a fiasco, invading Iran just might take the peoples' minds off it...if that doesn't work, perhaps North Korea is next??

I loved Bush's reply to the question of a reporter about not knowing where Bin Laden is (reported on CNN.com last week). Bush said that we do know where he is - "he's hiding."

Susan
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

susnfx wrote:If you can't find Osama Bin Laden, invading Iraq will take the peoples' minds off it...if Iraq is a fiasco, invading Iran just might take the peoples' minds off it...if that doesn't work, perhaps North Korea is next??
Well, saying that is one thing, that might be a distraction, but doing it is something else altogether. What on earth could the real reason be if this is more than just a temporary distraction?

I should have thought that all the troops America can afford to deploy in the middle east will be taken up in Iraq for the forseeble future. How could the US hope to placate the Shi'ite majority in Iraq if it is attacking a Shi'ite regime in Iran? What would be gained by alienating Iraqi Shi'ites when the Sunnis are already alienated—a very substantial number benefitted from Suddam's leadership and have nothing to gain from his removal as should be clear in their attitude to the election.

Does anybody think this is anything other than bluff? If so, what is it really about?
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I crawled.
I walked.
Iran.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Before the US elections, I thought it was just a bluff. Bush playing the macho game in order to impress the voters. But now, I don't understand what this is about. Anybody can read in the news that the US army could not afford a new war as they have not even enough soldiers to finish the Iraq adventure. This kind of information being available to anyone, why should the US government think that the Iran government would be afraid? Is it really only a bluff? Probably they want to control the entire region, Iraq - Iran - Afghanistan. They may not be able to make a real invasion, but they can always drop a few bombs. And this menace might be enough to force the Iranis to follow Bush's rule.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I agree that in some sense this would have to be about control whether or not it is bluff. I'm just not clear what control means. In Afghanistan it surely doesn't mean controlling the political life of the country. War lords do that and always will for the foreseeable future. I suppose there it means making it hard for Al Queda to operate openly. In Iraq I think it meant proving to the region that America can deliver in war, cowing the Saudis into stamping down on Wahibist elements and blocking the flow of money to jihadist groups and establishing a military base in Iraq from which to influence and threaten the region. The first objective failed and the second has only been a partial success. The third is years, and probably a civil war, away.

You might think that the Iraqi campaign succeeded in preventing Al Queda launching more attcks in America. Well I'm not convinced that money for Al Queda has dried up. Why would jihadists spend money and effort travelling to America to kill Americans when Americans are coming to them?

Against that backdrop, I simply have no idea what the Iran stuff could really be about. Perhaps the idea is to just let Iraq destroy itself while establishing a more liberal Islamic state in Iran with American bases. Lots of Iranians would welcome the outcome but at the cost of American interference? I doubt it.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm completely mystified by the thinking behind attacking Iran. But then I've been mystified by much of the "logic" behind the Bush administration's decisions in many areas. Unless they intend to institute a draft, there certainly isn't the manpower to enlarge this war (there isn't enough manpower to fight the one we're in). Perhaps the idea is to have the elections in Iraq, bail out leaving them to themselves, and move on to hopefully a "victory" in Iran. I just don't know.

Susan
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

susnfx wrote:If you can't find Osama Bin Laden, invading Iraq will take the peoples' minds off it...if Iraq is a fiasco, invading Iran just might take the peoples' minds off it...if that doesn't work, perhaps North Korea is next??
Nope. Salt Lake City. :twisted: :lol: :lol:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:-? :-?

And there was me,tinkin' dat de Brits were Basmatis :-?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

vomitbunny wrote:I crawled.
I walked.
Iran.
And Iran, Iran so far away . . . .
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
emmline

Post by emmline »

mamakash wrote: And Iran, Iran so far away . . . .
Who did that song?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

emmline wrote:
Who did that song?
A Flock of Seagulls.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Congratulations wrote:
emmline wrote:
Who did that song?
A Flock of Seagulls.
:-?
Dunno,
I was thinking about somebody else..

Not sure who though..(Aghh)

Tricky one ..

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Yeah, it was them. http://www.80smusiclyrics.com/artists/f ... agulls.htm

And look at those handsome hairdos. Man, what I wouldn't give to have the 80's again... :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up