anatomy of the irish flute....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

(oops!)
Last edited by glauber on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Sorry, Dhigbee.
When you are older you will play the wooden flute !
missa

Post by missa »

doug, yes, tofino is really nice in the summer :) and it is hard to get over to vancouver for just a day or two. like i said before, there's not as much celtic music on the island as in other places. there's a lot more blues/jazz over here.

i've also heard of several different way to clean an irish flute...what's the proper way to thoroughly clean it?
Marissa
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Who made your flute, Marissa? There should be a stamp somehwere on your flute if you don't know. Some makers have their own advice for flute-maintenance. Check with the maker.

Nice website. Hope you stay warm in Winnipeg. The cold's pretty ugly in February.

If you're interested in Ottawa Valley music and dance you might like Searson. They're from the Ottawa Valley. I saw them in Montréal a couple times. The girls are adults now but I think they started out like you lot.

If you play the Vancouver Celtic Festival again come check out my pipe band on March 13th. We'll be doing an afternoon concert that is open to minors at The Cellar on Granville Street. I'll probably doing a few bits on flute.

Cheers,
Aaron
Dana

Post by Dana »

andrewK wrote:Sorry, Dhigbee.
When you are older you will play the wooden flute !
Speaking of age, I just love the anonymity of the message board! :lol:

BTW, I actually have 2 wooden flutes (one Boehm, one Irish), but the silver flute is my main ax.

Dana
Paul Thomas

another view of key "anatomy"

Post by Paul Thomas »

For another view of keys, (which took me a while to sort out) Casey Burns has a collage & discussion of commonly used keys in his web pages at:

http://www.caseyburnsflutes.com/cat_silver.php#keys

(scroll down a bit if you have a small screen)

Shows post mounted keys. You can see a much larger version by clicking on the collage.

I know there's a thread (of dubious title) in which one can find many flute images, but it would certainly be valuable if some altruistic person wanted to collect images of as many different makers as possible along with such instructive images and diagrams as mentioned on this thread.

Paul
missa

Post by missa »

Aaron,
I'm not sure who made my flute :-? I can't find a stamp anywhere. I'll double check, but I don't think there's one there. Plus, I'm not sure exactly how I would clean it, because it's painted. It has vines with roses on it...I'll post a pic of it on here sometime soon. I'm going to be getting a new Sweetheart rosewood flute next week actually, so I guess I'll know how to clean that one properly! I've been wanting to buy it since july, so I'll have it before we go to Winnipeg.

We are actually right now in the process of seeing if we will be going back to Vancouver Celtic Festival. I'm not sure what has been decided yet...But if we go back, I'll try to come see your pipe band for sure! I checked out the Searson website, they look great.

All the best!
Marissa
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Missa - I hope you love your rosewood sweetheart flute as much as I love mine. I bought it secondhand and have only had it about a month, but it's one great flute.

Eric
KateG

Post by KateG »

As Jayhawk says, I hope you enjoy your rosewood Sweetheart -- I love mine.