Multi-instrumentalists

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you want to play more than one instrument?

Yes, I plan to play them all.
8%
Yes, I don't plan to play them all but 15 would be good.
38%
Yes, maybe fiddle, oh and guitar, oh and concertina.
24%
Yes, I'd like one more instrument.
23%
No, I'd really like to concentrate on one thing.
6%

Total votes: 78

amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i find it amazing how many of you know how to play so many different instruments. :boggle:
I can barely manage whistles. Haven't been going at it too much lately, but one thing is sure, i will always love to play a tune on a low whistle. :)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have often joked that I have musical ADD, but it's probably more apt than I think.
I started switching instruments in High School, and haven't stopped yet, I went through
each of the woodwind groups before college, then started with guitar, and have recently
been experimenting with percussion.

Last night, I downloaded some open-source multitracking software called <a href="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/">Audacity</a>
so I could try some one-man-bandmanship.
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I play a few different instruments, or rather, know how to play a few different instruments. For traditional music I don't really play anything else than whistles (high and low) and woodflute, I concentrate most on the flute, becauce it's more difficult to play and needs more practice to play well but it's pretty evenly divided between whistles and flute for band practice. I used to play the silver flute but have lost interest in it. I also used to play the trumpet but have quit that, not my style :P . Then I play some guitar, electric bass and I take piano lessons (although I'm still a complete newbie at that), I'm not very skilled in bass or guitar playing eighter, I play bass in some settings when there are no better players around, which do happen quite frequently, there are always better guitar players than me around so I confine my guitar playing to home playing for fun. Then I have a few other instruments that I have a bit of knowledge in but can't consider myself a player of them, like Mandolin, drums and percussion and such things. My main focus is always whistles and flute however.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Truth be told, I started this thread so that I can show it to my wife and say "See!?"
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I play a few different instruments, but none of them as well (or as often) as the whistle. I played bass guitar in high school (who didn't?), and some keyboards. Actually ended up taking real piano lessons much later in life, an I can play the classical music's equivalent of Stairway to Heaven on it (Fur Elise). I've played around with dumbeks (and can play a reasonable belidi rhythm...the drum's equivalent to Stairway to Heaven), bones, and fiddles, to greater or lesser degree. I spent a couple years playing a recorder, and some time playing xaphoon as well.

You know, growing up, my life didn't seem nearly as musical as it does in retrospect. Funny thing..when I went to my last class reunion, most of the folks there thought they remembered me playing whistle...though I took up the instrument six years after graduating. Weird..

And yes, I can play My Heart Will Go On on the whistle....the whistle's equivalent to Stairway to Heaven ;)
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

My main instrument was clarinet, as is/was the case for so many people here. I worked hard, won regional awards, but totally burned out on it. I sing, but am not award-winning at that... just love it a lot and am a little more than passable in my hypercritical viewpoint. In my younger years I also noodled around on electric bass guitar... also played bass clarinet, and could manage a few things on my friends' Boehm flute and saxophone.

Currently I am passable on whistle, am getting better at Irish flute, and am enjoying learning the mandolin. One day I would like to learn to play the bodhran (gasp!) that I've had for a couple years now, and once I get my Argentinian folk harp repaired, I'd like to learn how to play it. I am still planning on getting a guitar--hopefully soon-- and then I think I'd like to try fiddle one day.
Cailin Gaelach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cailin Gaelach »

Yes I'm really amazed people can play so very many instruments! I started playing the clarinet in a brass & reed band when I was a teenager (anyone want to buy it now?!) and I got a Feadóg D as a Christmas present when I was about 15! But only started taking lessons on whistle a few years ago! I also play the anglo-concertina (very slowly......) and the whistle is definitely my favourite instrument! I don't think I'll be taking up any other instruments - lack of time for one thing!
Cailin Gaelach :)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

aderyn_du wrote:My main instrument was clarinet, as is/was the case for so many people here.
I wonder if there's something to that... maybe High School Flautists pick up the Irish Flute directly,
but we Clarinetists need a gateway intrument? I know I'm more comfortable with the whistle's
air flow and finger position, than the flute's (at least at the moment).
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Phew! I was wondering which forum this post would end up in ;)
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

ErikT wrote:Phew! I was wondering which forum this post would end up in ;)
:lol:

I think Rich only moved the OT posts that were honest enough to label themselves "OT". :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

jsluder wrote:
ErikT wrote:Phew! I was wondering which forum this post would end up in ;)
:lol:

I think Rich only moved the OT posts that were honest enough to label themselves "OT". :wink:
Hee, yes. That's exactly what I did! But I did scan through the subject lines of the 100 most recent posts that were and weren't going to be moved, and nothing stood out. :-)

-Rich
BigDavy

Instruments

Post by BigDavy »

My main instrument is the bodhran (this will get me into all sorts of bother here) then djembe/darabuka/talking drum. I have started learning the uilleann pipes and playing low whistle (D and C). I like to work out a tune on the whistle before mangling it on the pipes.

Aderyn_du

Have a go at your bodhran, join the dark side of the force.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm sort of Schizophrenic when it comes to practicing: I've been on Guitar mostly for a while now, much to the disadvantage of my Flute/whistle playing, although I'm trying to balance it all out a bit more at the moment. Only so many darned hours in the day. Or more correctly, in my case, only so many hours a day the neighbors will tolerate my lousy playing :lol:

Which reminds me: Can anyone recommend, from experience, a couple of good DADGAD tutorials? No telling how long I'll be able to suffer keeping my acoustic tuned that way......

Loren
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I own whistles,low whistles,recorders(Garklein to a Greatbass in need of a proper overhaul),Flutes(dixon Poly,One keyed Boxwood,keyed anon blackwood,crappy cheapo Boehm,Chinese bamboo),Uileann Pipe practice set,Piccolo,Alto Sax. and Bass Clarinet.
I play them these days in that descending order from whistle most days to Bass Clarinet-about fifteen years ago(!)-I keep meaning to put it on E-Bay-but never get round to it.
My latest 'thing' is Hammer Dulcimer,having listened to John Rea and Barry Carroll.Maybe I'll try one soon.
I never got into guitars being left handed-plus the multiplicity of notes and chords just didn't make sense to my right-brained way of thinking.
When I used to listen to Jazz,most of my Favourite musicians were the multi-instrumentalists-Eric Dolphy,Yusef Lateef,the A.A.C.M. crowd,Joe McPhee etc.
Oh almost forgot about the Jaws-Harp misplaced somewhere!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I want to play pipes, God help me.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony