What started you piping?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

In the early 90s I came across who I am pretty sure was Tim Britton at a Renfest here in Atlanta. He was sitting on the ground under a tree playing away on his set which he told me he made himself. I was hooked instantly.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Eric Rigler's work on David Arkenstone's 1998 CD Celtic Book of Days.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Actually, it was $850 and an O'Grady practice set that got me 'started'
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

When I expressed an interest in playing at the local session, the mandolin player told me they could really do with a piper, as they had all the other instruments.

David
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

What got me started was the opportunity to get a set. Always wanted to try, and I don't regret the decision.

Interestingly enough, even though my beginner's efforts are halting and the fingers short-circuit, my fingerwork on flute and whistle has become more nimble now that I've started down the slippery slope. Things that gave me trouble before on flute and whistle are much easier to do. That's a pretty cool tradeoff.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The Chieftains #7 back in 1984, couldn't find a set so took up the GHBs. Then a couple or so years later, Tommykleen let me try out his practice set...and.....WHABAM!!!!...hooked for life. Although, it took me until 2003 to obtain a practice set. :D
danny

Post by danny »

atlantic bridge, never seen them bin played, i actually thought you blew into to them, and when i got them straped on, asked "were do you blow into" :roll:
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I walked into a pub and there was this guy playing some sort of weird contraption. Turns out it was John Maschinot (playing UPs) and I was hooked on that sound.

-gary

Edited for clarity of my not so clear grammar...hope that is more understandable...
Last edited by snoogie on Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Never met him, but I'm sure John Maschinot is quite a weird contraption.

I started playing GHBs about ten years ago when I was 16. Saw Hamish Moore play about two weeks after I started and that totally hooked me and got me obsessed with smallpipes/"un-orthodox" stuff very early on...My GHB teacher (Jay Salter) actually played me a tape of PK & the Bothy Band once, but it wasn't until I actually saw Keenan play about a year later that I finally "got it" and became obsessed. I desperately wanted to learn UPs, but was at the same time worried about becoming a jack-of-all trades with lots of instruments and little talent...Took up flute because I thought it might soothe my temptation and also be easier to play...Ha!...Finally, while in Ireland four years ago, the combination of a practice set for sale at Cillian O Briain's shop and an up-til-then little-used credit card in my wallet proved to be my undoing...

I'll probably put down an order for regs in a couple of months...then I'd like to get a new chanter...then maybe a C set...or a B set...haven't decided...F**k...It never ends.

At some point I've still got to figure out how to play the damn things.
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

In 1990 I was invited to a Dubliners concert in Copenhagen. Before the gig they played a tape with this wonderful and strange instrument on it. I instantly decided that someday I would learn to play whatever it was. Two years later I found out that it was Liam O'Flynn playing on an Enya album.

It took me untill 1996 to find a practise set - I had no clue how to play or care for the instrument.... it ended on a shelf untill my honeymoon in Ireland 2000. We were invited by Alfie Mulligan (who played at our wedding) to stay for a while at the summerschool in Drumshanbo. Next year I was back to learn....... :)

/Morten
ballysodare

Post by ballysodare »

I became afflicted when I found a tape of The Chieftains: Live in the Belfast Opera House when I was 11 yo. Played the damn thing 'til it wore out....Maloney started to sound like James Earl Jones by the time I hit 8th grade.

Other nasty habits like tin whistles, Highland Pipes, and Pub Bands, haunted me all through high school. :D

Cheers
"It's amazing what you can do with a little motivation and a lot of whiskey"
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

A Kerrygold butter advert.......... stop laughing :(

Patrick.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol: :lol: ....ooops...sorry PD.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!

I really got hooked on piping after seeing the Swedish group "Hedningarna"
live few times in the early nineties.
Then someone on this board needed funding for a new
half-set and tricked me into buying his old practice set.
.... been struggling ever since. :D

/MarcusR
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I played whistle at the session, and the local piper (middle of nowhere, and yet, there is a uilleann piper... now two!!) told me I should learn a real instrument, either flute or pipes. (I am still not sure whether he was serious or joking...) I knew another guy who hada practise set kicking around... so I borrowed it. That was at least 2 and a half years ago.

I have a half set coming from Joe Kennedy. Maybe I'll give the practise set back after that.