Multi-instrumentalists

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you want to play more than one instrument?

Yes, I plan to play them all.
8%
Yes, I don't plan to play them all but 15 would be good.
38%
Yes, maybe fiddle, oh and guitar, oh and concertina.
24%
Yes, I'd like one more instrument.
23%
No, I'd really like to concentrate on one thing.
6%

Total votes: 78

MikeyLikesIt
antispam: No

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I guess one could call me a multi-instrumentalist. I've been playing classical style piano for most of my life, playing more and more ragtime and minimalist style music though nowadays. Whistle, low whistle (if you consider them two distint instruments, I don't know), guitar, a little bowed psaltry, and the pipes. Though of all of them I would like to be good at (excluding piano since I'm comfortable with my skill level and I suppose I'm already pretty good at it by default considering the amount of time I've played), the pipes are what I truly love now.

-Mike
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I "play" the whistles and the bass, some guitar and a little banjo. I occaisionally play the flute, did so in school, and can play a little fiddle, own a small harp, and a cello that I wish I had time to play more.

I just plain want to play... whatever. I especially like a little flexibility so that I can adjust what I'm playing according to who is also playing, and what is needed.

I do wish I'd concentrated more on just one thing at a time though.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I play about 16 and I just keep going. :D
Whale
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whale »

Man, if I could play every instrument, I think I'd be set. I'm trying to head that way now-- I play guitar, ukulele, slide whistle, violin, pennywhistle, flute, recorder, bass, piano, harmonica, drums, coke-can ocarina, kazoo, and throat-pipe. I can also wail pretty hard on a triangle.
If you march to the beat of a different drum, aren't you still marching?
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

There's wishing, and there's doing. I really wanted to play the fiddle. And I really would like to be a flute player. I'd also like to pick up another language... :roll:

But I think that for some of us, anyway, there are some limitations. Not just time to play, but that essential focus that, when it's too diluted, doesn't function. I've decided to really concentrate on whistle for a while, and hammered dulcimer. And even though I'm truly in love with fiddles, I'll just have to encourage the people in my family who play. Maybe that'll be one for retirement. Flute is my next realistic addition because I'm already a wind player.

Maybe it's just the midlife thing, realizing that my time is finite and my abilities probably are too. :( I'm just jealous of everyone who plays so well on so many instruments, or speaks fourteen languages.

Or remembers a hundred tunes and can play them well!
Jennie
emmline

Post by emmline »

I've done a crappy job on piano, viola, guitar, and whistle, and an even crappier job on voice, if that counts.

edit: dang, left out ukelele.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. It looks like we're getting a decent bell (my bad poll not withstanding - the idea was the the options descending in order of magnitude). I find it intersting that there are very few that stick to one instrument. It seems to confirm my premise that many folk musicians play multiple instruments.

On the other hand, many of you that responded aren't folk musicians, or at least not entirely.

Erik
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

emmline wrote:I've done a crappy job on piano, viola, guitar, and whistle, and an even crappier job on voice, if that counts.

edit: dang, left out ukelele.
I think that you're a nice person, though :)
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I play the fiddle, flute and once in a while some whistle. Only in certain circumstances though! I've played the flute for over 6 years, but the fiddle is actually the one I play for gigs/sessions.
Corin
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I left out uke, harmonica, kazoo, and washtub bass.

My Martin D-35 arrived yesterday. I hadn't realized how much I'd been missing it. I've been having some fun with the whistles that I brought along, but if I ever had to get down to just one instrument, it would definitely be the guitar. (For one thing, I still haven't figured out how to sing while playing accompaniment on the whistle.)

I've been tempted by the concertina. It's good that they're relatively expensive for a decent instrument.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Darwin wrote:(For one thing, I still haven't figured out how to sing while playing accompaniment on the whistle.)
It's funny that you say that. That's actually one reason that I took guitar lessons last year. I've always played music with instruments in my mouth and wanted to learn some songs. I enjoyed it, but by the end I missed by flute and whistle... That doesn't stop me from playing the guitar and singing a song - as I did at tonight's session. I sure feel sorry for those that had to listen :boggle:
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Darwin wrote:
(For one thing, I still haven't figured out how to sing while playing accompaniment on the whistle.)

Well voice was my original and only took up trumpet after the wife had had a guts full of my saying how much I wanted to play - she bought me one for my 33rd birthday. It was rather shock trying to take up an instrument that did away with the voice. I really miss the singing now that I have taken up whistles, GHB, didge, irish flute, Hornpipe (a bit) as well as trumpet. Hopefully when the piano comes this year I will be able to use the voice again. Forget the strings, I battle to even clap in time let alone get a rythm going on guitar.
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i can play with my balls quite well.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

amar wrote:i can play with my balls quite well.

Thus Spaketh Amarthustra.

I've made some serious decisions. Like Jennie said, too much and you dilute. I have decided I will focus on my harmonica. Flute/whistles will be second though not by much. I will keep my mandolin, autoharp and mountain dulcimer for the sole purpose of backing myself up when recording on the computer. Since my sound card is once again not recording it's not too big a deal.
I *might* take some clawhammer lessons again for the sole purpose of backup but only if it doesn't interfere with harmonica.
I am fairly certain I'll end up selling my hammered dulcimer. (17/16/8 Songbird, excellent condition, stays in tune, adjustable stand)
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Recently I don't pick up whistles that much -- I'm concentrating on guitars. I just don't have the time to go through all the whistles I have. I wish I had more time to practice more instruments, including whistles.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis