Do you still whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

lixnaw wrote:ever since i play the button accordion, i can't play straight bore whistles anymore.
i only play conical bores, about 1 hour every day.
but i practice on the accordion for 2 hours.
I'm curious about the preference for conical bores. Why do you think that is? I rarely play whistles and devote my time to the box.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Teri-K wrote:
lixnaw wrote:ever since i play the button accordion, i can't play straight bore whistles anymore.
i only play conical bores, about 1 hour every day.
but i practice on the accordion for 2 hours.
I'm curious about the preference for conical bores. Why do you think that is? I rarely play whistles and devote my time to the box.
i felt conical whistles to be much more ergonomic. the cylindrical bore where an energy drain for me.
i just play a tweaked clarke now and ordered a copeland low D, and i'll try out a conical flute aswell.
the accordion pushed me into the right direction allright,
but i don't like to play it all the time either, i like to swap around.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

jbarter wrote:I also play the concertina and my son is trying to teach me the fiddle but I shall always consider myself to be a whistler. Morris dancing and whistling - it's what I do, it's who I am.
You and me both! I don't know what I'm going to do when my daughter graduates and goes on to the adult troupe...I'd love to play for them, but their practice nights conflict with my choir nights. :sniffle:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Yesterday was the first time I had picked up a whistle since Christmas eve,I'm just back from a 2 week vacation in the Canary Islands and I had planned to take one of my whistles with me,but I forgot to pack it :o
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I whistle every day

I guitar every day

I mandolin every day

I bodhran most days

I mouth organ once in a blue moon
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
vaporlock

Whats a whistle?

Post by vaporlock »

My family thinks that whenever I put an instrument to my lips it's open forum to ask me all the silly questions that they;ve been storing up. Since I'm playing an instrument it means that I'm not doing "anything" SO i'm available to fix the toilet, tv, roof, car and or sign permission slips/ report cards, take out the trash and generaly talk about THEIR day.

No, I'm not bitter :D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

One thing about getting bifurcated, the Chiffboard got back to the old consumerism feel.
oscartherabbit

Re: Whats a whistle?

Post by oscartherabbit »

vaporlock wrote:My family thinks that whenever I put an instrument to my lips it's open forum to ask me all the silly questions that they;ve been storing up. Since I'm playing an instrument it means that I'm not doing "anything" SO i'm available to fix the toilet, tv, roof, car and or sign permission slips/ report cards, take out the trash and generaly talk about THEIR day.

Oooooh I hate it when that happens.

I thought it was just me this happens to. It seems that playing an instrument of any kind is rather like sticking your head above the parapet or attempting to light a third cigarette off one match - it get's you noticed, and everyone in earshot can zero in on you. "Ah - there he is...."

Smallest daughter (2) has also developed the habit of picking up any random whistle that happens to be lying about and presenting it to me to play. This would be cute if it weren't for the fact that she invariably does this when I am already playing a whistle. Usually just as I'm about to start the B measure. :x Being the doting father, of course, I humour her and start to play the newly profered whistle, only to have her give me the original one back at the start of the B measure again.

Repeat until robbed of will to live.

Sigh.

On the plus side, I'm really good at the first part of loads of tunes...
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

vaporlock wrote:My family thinks ...
This is the first time that I noticed that you're wearing a Chiff and Fipple shirt underwater! :)
gonzo914

Re: Do you still whistle?

Post by gonzo914 »

Of couse I still play -- about half an hour a day. You don't think I come here for the witty repartee, incisive political commentary and compassionate and insightful theological discussions, do you?

But there does, in many cases, seem to be an inverse relationship between number of posts and time actually spent whistling. I shall call it gonzo's Law of Pointless Verbosity, to wit: PV = (number of posts)/(practice time per day in minutes).

In my case, that number is 185/30 = 6.16666.

In some cases, V is approaching infinity.

Readers are invited to calculate and post their own PV.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
whistlerroberto

Post by whistlerroberto »

I tend to play in "spurts," really, but lately I've been having tons of fun learning new tunes. I especially want to learn orietnal tunes that are mostly played on flute. They have so much emotion! I know that I will eventually get into Irish flute, and I already have 3 chinese flutes at home, and I'm slowly learning them. I know the scales, of course, but getting used to playing the same scale transverslly is a little difficult, and grace notes and the like are harder, as you can't easily slide your finger along wood.

:lol:
Whistlerroberto
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Every day, between 1/2 hour and 3 hours...
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I'm whistling every day too, when everyone goes to bed. My kids have learned to trade lullabyes for whistle tunes. Go figure! Last night my youngest wanted a long cuddle, but when I asked if she'd mind if I whistled instead, she said it'd be okay as long as I only played my original tunes instead of traditional ones.

My hammered dulcimer playing is suffering lately, though. And my correspondence studies of Spanish literature, too. It's kind of like picking a schedule in high school and being allowed only one elective. For now, whistle is it. Maybe if I gave up cooking... :wink:

Jennie
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

vaporlock wrote:My family thinks that whenever I put an instrument to my lips it's open forum to ask me all the silly questions that they;ve been storing up. Since I'm playing an instrument it means that I'm not doing "anything" SO i'm available to fix the toilet, tv, roof, car and or sign permission slips/ report cards, take out the trash and generaly talk about THEIR day.

I'll have to teach you the "CRUSTY" - my hubby's name for a facial expression I have perfected. Early in our marriage, he would interrupt me while I was practicing or playing. I gave him the look 2 or 3 times, and it hasn't happened since. Although, he says I use it for other circumstances because of the multipurpose applications.

Back on topic - last time I spoke with you, smallpipes were added to your collection. How's that going?
Kar

Post by Kar »

Since I took up the fiddle, I'll admit that I hardly ever whistle anymore. I still carry one around (my trusty Serpent Sweet Polly which I hated at first and is now the only whistle I play, mostly). But fiddle is SO much harder than whistle, I spend all my "free" time on it.

I'll admit, I also play the uke on the days I want to sing, or my cute parlour guitar.

However--I did do a sort of last-minute holiday busking and it was NOT my uke, guitar or fiddle I took but the whistles. Why? Because I can still play them the best, and they sound consistently good. For simple tunes, like Christmas Carols, they are still the easiest instrument to sound good on, for me.

So, there you are!