Somebody stop the madness, please.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Somebody stop the madness, please.

Post by anniemcu »

Loren wrote:According to my count, half the posts on the first page here (at the time of my posting) are off topic. HALF. I've got no problem with OT posts per se, but when the volume gets to the point that less than 70% of posts on a forum are topical, then I find it not even worth checking any more.

I know the subject has come up before, but Dale puhleeeease, isn't it time we reconsider having a separate OT forum???

Loren (Well ready for the flame throwing headed my way...)
It'll settle back down after a while... sometimes there's more going on in people's lives that is OT than on... especially, I think at the change of the year... takes a month or so for people to get back to 'regular' life.

Personally, I don't want another forum. I'm quite happy getting to pick and choose from what is here.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Loren wrote:OTH, the ratio of OT posts has gotten so high, that I honestly believe it's a major contributing factor to the decline of more seasoned posters.
While not the most prolific of posters here, I am about as seasoned as they come. :) And I have been less active here lately, although in my case it's due to personal, real-life stuff: The arrival of our second child means I have much less time to play music, and with music not being as central in my life as it used to be, I consequently have less reason to frequent the board intensively.

That being said, and having thought about what you say, I am actually - for the first time - going to agree that the off-topicness is getting out of hand and that we'd be better off with a separate OT forum.

Or rather, as has been suggested, a better solution might be a separate Whistle forum alongside the other instrument fora, keeping the OT posts in the well-known Poststructural forum.

And while we're at it, a separate buy/sell forum would be handy too. :)

Cheers,
Jens
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

:D :) :( :o :x :evil: :moreevil: :boggle: :devil: :party: :twisted: :roll: :P :-?

:D :) :( :o :-? :P :roll: :twisted: :oops: :cry: :evil:

topic!
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I didn't think so before but now I do think a "general discussion/aka snake pit" forum would be a good idea. I don't deny that most of my time has been with the OT posts but for new people who are only interested in whistle stuff it can be quite a clutter.
As has been mentioned the search is less then ideal but even if it worked better there's still be a lot of OT stuff to wade through to find answers to specific questions.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

talasiga wrote: This is the sort of comment and advice that could go in
ADVISE DALE HERE topic which I started some time ago. It is not an OT topic.

I commend that topic to you.
Guess what, due to all the OT posting, I haven't read that topic, so I had no idea it what that thread's purpose was/is. Now, if that topic had been labled, "Everyone please read....." then, with Dale's name attached, I certainly would have, and then posted there if appropriate. However, when the signal to noise ratio gets so high, one tends to filter extensively.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

anniemcu wrote: It'll settle back down after a while...

No, it really won't, at least according to the history here: OT posting has been trending up more or less continuously for several years.

Loren
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Loren wrote:OTH, the ratio of OT posts has gotten so high, that I honestly believe it's a major contributing factor to the decline of more seasoned posters.
Hmmm. I honestly believe it's the seasoned posters who are contributing to the ratio of OT posts.

Just how much can you say about a bit of pipe with six holes?

After people have got over the "Wow, isn't whistling fun?" stage and the

"What other makes are there" stage and the

"How do I do a roll/cut/cran etc" stage, it's only natural that they move on to the

"So, er, what's the weather like in Winsconsin" stage, followed by the

"Fancy meeting up for a session somewhere?" stage, and eventually the

"Is MurphyStout really Sideshow Bob in disguise?" stage.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

LOL!
No I'm not returning...
rkottke

Post by rkottke »

Loren wrote:According to my count, half the posts on the first page here (at the time of my posting) are off topic. HALF. I've got no problem with OT posts per se, but when the volume gets to the point that less than 70% of posts on a forum are topical, then I find it not even worth checking any more.

I know the subject has come up before, but Dale puhleeeease, isn't it time we reconsider having a separate OT forum???

When I put up a 'poll' on this subject months ago, I really got blasted and accordingly I have cut back on my accessing of the forum greatly. Best of luck on raising the question and hope you have a thick skin.
Sláinte
TomB

Post by TomB »

rkottke wrote:

When I put up a 'poll' on this subject months ago, I really got blasted and accordingly I have cut back on my accessing of the forum greatly. Best of luck on raising the question and hope you have a thick skin.
Seems to be going ok so far- check out Dale's Poll.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Martin Milner wrote:Just how much can you say about a bit of pipe with six holes?
Quite a lot, actually. I mean, last week Dale Dahl came over to play some tunes. (It was supposed to be a session, but alas, no one else showed up.) We've got a combined 16+ years whistling experience between us. And we'd just spent an evening gabbing in the pub (while the local fiddlers played hornpipes in A, how lovely) so it wasn't like we hadn't seen each other for a while.

Never-the-less, we easily spent an hour talking whistles and tunes. Conical bore low-Ds versus straight. What he did to make his Shaw (?) play better. Fancy new whistles from Scotland -- pretty, but do they sound good? The economics of being a whistle-maker. Where we'd gotten our (very different) versions of "Mama's Pet". "The Dawn" versus "Twilight in Portroe" in G. Etc.

The problem isn't that there's nothing to talk about with whistles. The problem with the board now is that interesting posts about whistles get swamped out by endless OT nattering. Posts are gone off the first screen of posts in about 2 hours, off the first page within 2 days. So chattery OT posts stay near the top of the list, and actual whistle discussion disappears quickly.

Because of that, it doesn't feel very worthwhile to start on-topic threads, because unless they catch someone's fancy quickly, they will disappear in the blink of an eye. It can be very frustrating, actually, to watch interesting threads go away...

I don't want to change anyone's ability to post about whatever they want. Let the OT stuff stay right where it is, and make a new Whistle Forum for actual whistle talk.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Martin Milner wrote: Hmmm. I honestly believe it's the seasoned posters who are contributing to the ratio of OT posts.

Just how much can you say about a bit of pipe with six holes?

After people have got over the "Wow, isn't whistling fun?" stage and the

"What other makes are there" stage and the

"How do I do a roll/cut/cran etc" stage, it's only natural that they move on to the

"So, er, what's the weather like in Winsconsin" stage, followed by the

"Fancy meeting up for a session somewhere?" stage, and eventually the

"Is MurphyStout really Sideshow Bob in disguise?" stage.

There's always room for musical discussion, and whistle discussion. Granted, once you get past all of the technical questions, there's not a lot to discuss about them beyond "listen, practice, refine". Though there's certainly technical discussions that can occur about specific tunes (which does still happen)...for instance, I have discovered that I can play the D part of Farewell to Ireland a lot easier if I leave the bottom holes closed when hitting the C# and 1st octave B's in the first 3 measures. I haven't mentioned it, because, well, who here would care enough to keep it on the front page for more than a day? It has nothing to do with cats, politics, or anything like that, after all. It may just seem like that there's not much to talk about to those folks who aren't really playing the whistle much any more...case in point:
Martin Milner wrote:I touch my whistles so rarely they are dusty.
Beyond technique, there's still whistle news to discuss, and that news generally gets out of date fast in this place...SBZE whistles (newish from japan, i think) were posted recently, and rolled off the first page in something like 24 hours. If you didn't religiously and daily check the board, you'd have never heard about them at all. There's news about new bands, things happening with record labels (such as the problems with Green Linnet), new whistles, etc. Makers change their designs, take on apprentices, stop taking orders, etc.

Granted, a topical whistle board wouldn't be nearly as prolific as this place. I, for one, don't judge the quality of a thing by the quantity of that thing. And for me, this forum jumped the shark a while back, when post counts became an item of more importance and got more feedback than topical posts about whistle news or things of real import like someone going to a session for the first time and giving their impressions.

Given that it seems like a great many of the off-topic posters primarily don't play whistle any more, or hardly play at all, I'm unsure what the objection is from that quarter to having a whistle board spun off....

(edited to note that I posted before I noticed Coloman saying much the same thing I said, only better) ;)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

wanderer wrote: And for me, this forum jumped the shark a while back, when post counts became an item of importance and got more feedback than topical posts about whistle news or things of real import like someone going to a session for the first time and giving their impressions
Very harsh.
Nobody really takes the post count thing seriously.It is just a way of,if you like,thanking somebody who has hung around long enough to make a mark on the collective wit and wisdom of the board.
In fact it has become a tradition around these parts to acknowledge people who have touched the minds and hearts of other members so many times...a simple tradition.
After all, we are all into traditions here are we not?

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

rkottke wrote:When I put up a 'poll' on this subject months ago, I really got blasted and accordingly I have cut back on my accessing of the forum greatly. Best of luck on raising the question and hope you have a thick skin.
Let me put it this way, I've been a part of C&F so long that boiling oil and and chain mail were the offensive and defensive weapons of the day when I joined up. Now years have passed and we've graduated to flame throwers. But not to worry, Dale sent me Nomex Long Johns for Christmas, so I'll be fine. :thumbsup: Thanks for your concern :)

Loren