Planxty DVD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Planxty DVD

Post by chas »

I can't remember how I found it, but there was a post a few weeks ago that led me to a website called Music Scotland. There I found a new Planxty DVD. It's a concert from February 2004 along with a few other things - interviews and a documentary.

It's an absolutely fantastic piece of work. Andy has aged since the last time I saw him (20 years ago), but Christy, Donal, and Liam look incredibly youthful. Plus they're even better musicians than 30 years ago, and Andy and Christy both sing as well or better than they did 30 years ago.

One thing that struck me is the texture of the accompaniment. The mando/bouzouki sound is incredible; there's no other group that's come close to duplicating it. It almost sounds like counterpoint. Andy in one of the interviews said something like, "Donal is the best accompanist in the world; he plays what you'd play if you could play two instruments at once." That sound is like Glenn Miller's winds or Django and Stephane's three-guitar backing group in that it's instantly recognizable.

ere's the whistle content: Liam plays a Burke wide-bore and a Generation. The disc cost about $25 including shipping across the pond. It's well worth it. (No lineup of non-traditional guest stars, too.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I recently downloaded a pirated copy of the CD, and I've been wondering how trustworthy Music Scotland is since they are one of only two vendors I could find who have the DVD.
Amazon has the CD, and I've been checking frequently to see if they have the DVD yet... I've done busines with them in the past, so I know they're trustworthy.
I've definitely got to get my hands on a legitimate copy of the CD and a copy of the DVD as well... maybe I'll give Music Scotland a try, and not keep waiting on Amazon.
The CD tracks are fantastic, and I understand there are a few extras on the DVD... gotta have it! ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You can also get it here, and Dale lists this website on his Chiff links page:
http://www.tayberry.com/search.php?search=dvd&field=dvd
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
I got the DVD in my local record store (a very small independant outlet) and enjoyed every second of it.
Brought back many happy memories of going to see them play around Dublin right at the beginning of their recording career.
The extras are wonderful and very informative.If you have not got a copy of this DVD,get one now! Nothing else currently available on this format is as important as this.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

raindog1970 wrote:I recently downloaded a pirated copy of the CD, and I've been wondering how trustworthy Music Scotland is since they are one of only two vendors I could find who have the DVD.
Amazon has the CD, and I've been checking frequently to see if they have the DVD yet... I've done busines with them in the past, so I know they're trustworthy.
I've definitely got to get my hands on a legitimate copy of the CD and a copy of the DVD as well... maybe I'll give Music Scotland a try, and not keep waiting on Amazon.
The CD tracks are fantastic, and I understand there are a few extras on the DVD... gotta have it! ;)
I got the DVD from Music Scotland with no problem at all - go for it!

The DVD is great although I'm more of a tunes guy than a songs guy, so enjoyed some parts more than others. Donal Lunny is great. In one of the interviews on the DVD someone refers to Donal as the "drummer" of the group. When it comes to setting the rhythm of a tune while at the same time adding harmonies and maintaining the integrity of the tune, he has few if any peers.
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Yes, the DVD is brilliant and a must for all Planxty fans.

And a bit of solace for those of us who didn't actually have a chance to go to one of their latest concerts.
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

I have the DVD myself. it's wonderful.

And over the last 4 years, i have never had a single problem with Music Scotland.

b
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I got it, too. Music Scotland is the cheapest, too. The interviews are really great. Just enough extras on the DVD. And to think I was in the UK when they had the concert, why didn't I hear about it? Dang...
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I received my copy of the DVD from Tayberry Music today, and seeing the performance as well as hearing it makes the experience even better.
I hadn't tried to play along with any of the tunes until tonight, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that 'As I Roved Out' was played on a B natural whistle... now I have another tune to play along with in one of my favorite keys.
I'm looking forward to checking out the extras when I have more time to spare, but even without them this DVD is a must have!
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

I finally ordered this DVD from Tayberry, and watched it last weekend. Let me add my applause to all the other already given. It's an outstanding DVD, and I was blown away especially by Lunny's and Irvine's finger picking. O'Flynn's piping and whistling, as well as Moore's singing were also excellent. I didn't even miss the presence of a fiddler. Goes to show you that excellent musicianship, both in playing and arranging, trumps all.

The band mentioned that this current reunion was spurred by a documentary about Planxty shown on Irish TV. Does anyone know if this is available on the net?

Also, does anyone know if they have plans to take this on tour to the US, or are they just doing a bunch of local gigs and then going their separate ways again?
weaselwhistle

Post by weaselwhistle »

Man, I wanted to see them at the Barbican for my birthday this month, but had to cancel because can't afford the air fare.
chas

Post by chas »

Brewster wrote: It's an outstanding DVD, and I was blown away especially by Lunny's and Irvine's finger picking.
I still am. There's nothing else like it, it just provides a texture that I love. In the interview part, Andy at one point says, "Donal is the one accompanist who plays exactly what I'd play if I could play two instruments at once." He and Andy are perfect together.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Whistling Willie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Got this DVD as a christmas present,and it is fantastic,though my wife is beginning to wish she hadn't bought me it :lol:
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

OK, which one of yis bought the last copy from Tayberry? :lol:

Spoke to Tayberry this morning and they had just sold the last copy only hours before I called them!

More are on order.
drunkenviking

Post by drunkenviking »

There is a review of the DVD here:

http://www.chinatogalway.com/Review%20P ... 202004.htm

And if you like to discuss Planxty some more, join this forum too:

http://www.takeforum.com/forum/index.php?mforum=planxty

Cheers! :D