Whistle Karma - The Force is with Us

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle Karma - The Force is with Us

Post by PhilO »

We often kid (partly) about how we feel pulled by WHOA. Well, tonight my train to whistle lesson was rerouted due to a sick passenger on a train in front of us, so I walked a new route along 48th street. As I approached Manny's, I started thinking about Rod Baltimore - a divey woodwind/brass shop up on the second floor of a building next to Manny's. Although they haven't had any whistles for years now (and always say they will soon), I felt strangely compelled to stop in. Lo and behold, they moved to a storefront bright and shiny new - so I went in. In addition to all manner of cheapies (Clarkes, Gens, Megs, etc.), they had brand new Copeland brass soprano D whistles and a Copeland blackwood flute as well as several Chieftains. Best of all, they encouraged me to play whichever ones I wanted to sample.

I was a little late to class. :twisted:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Awesome I would have jumped on one o' those Copelands as they usually have a long wait. :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sounds like you're in trouble, Phil. :lol: Be sure and let us know what you end up buying. :wink:

Best,
Paul
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Paul wrote:Sounds like you're in trouble, Phil. :lol: Be sure and let us know what you end up buying. :wink:
maybe you should say to let us know WHEN you end up buying....how DID that Copeland sound, Phil? :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Holy Smokes! Manny's! W.48 St?? I havent heard of that place since the 60s. I bought the sheet music for "Louie, Louie" there (I wanted to know the REAL lyrics)

Thanks for the memories
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

StewySmoot wrote:I bought the sheet music for "Louie, Louie" there (I wanted to know the REAL lyrics)
Lyrics! And all along I thought Louie, Louie was comprised entirely of incomprehensible mumbles. Or maybe Swahili.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Congratulations wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:I bought the sheet music for "Louie, Louie" there (I wanted to know the REAL lyrics)
Lyrics! And all along I thought Louie, Louie was comprised entirely of incomprehensible mumbles. Or maybe Swahili.
The last album that I listened to was 'The complete Louie Louie',which wasn't by anymeans complete-there were only eighteen versions by various artists (and YES,I DID listen to them all on the trot-quite an 'experience').
look here for more 'Louie' mania
http://andymartello.com/andyland/louiebigpic.htm
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

did they have Copeland low whistles in stock? :moreevil: :lol:

Looks like I'm gonna have to start saving some money for Sterling Silver low D... :)
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

StewySmoot wrote:Holy Smokes! Manny's! W.48 St?? I havent heard of that place since the 60s. I bought the sheet music for "Louie, Louie" there (I wanted to know the REAL lyrics)

Thanks for the memories
Yeah, I know Manny's and "music row". Used to be a store there with a terrific name... "Terminal Music"-- what a way to go!! Art Nitka was the owner, and I bought my first recorder there. Richie Henzler worked for him and eventually took over the recorder part of the business. He moved it uptown, and eventually to Warrensburgh NY where it still runs as Courtly Music.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'd go nuts to find a blackwood flute in a store that I could try. I'd probably go broke too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Tak_the_whistler wrote:did they have Copeland low whistles in stock? :moreevil: :lol:

Looks like I'm gonna have to start saving some money for Sterling Silver low D... :)
Not yet. But they are expecting shortly a Copeland soprano D sterling silver...and my birthday is Monday.... :twisted:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

StewySmoot wrote:Holy Smokes! Manny's! W.48 St?? I havent heard of that place since the 60s. I bought the sheet music for "Louie, Louie" there (I wanted to know the REAL lyrics)

Thanks for the memories
One of my ethnomusicology professors at UNT, Dr. Steven Friedman, was the keyboard player for a time (actually during the Louie, Louie days). Believe it or not, he left the Kingsmen, got a college education, moved to Africa and did his doctorate work studying the music of the tribes of Guan for eight years. All semester long we tried to get two things out of him:

1) To get him to play Louie Louie. He had matured beyond that and never gave into our requests.

2) To get the real lyrics to Louie, Louie. He claimed that he would be fired if he ever gave us the real lyrics.

What a bummer!

P3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
teeisblue

Post by teeisblue »

2) To get the real lyrics to Louie, Louie. He claimed that he would be fired if he ever gave us the real lyrics.
Which proves that even the band didn't know...

Good for you , PhilO. I think I wouldn't have made it to class at all, but would still be wallowing in whistles. Mmmmmm
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
Charlene

Small world!

Post by Charlene »

PhilO wrote:
Not yet. But they are expecting shortly a Copeland soprano D sterling silver...and my birthday is Monday.... :twisted:

Philo
Happy Birthday! :party: Mine is Monday too! But I'm not expecting anything along those lines.
frchristo

Post by frchristo »

Wow, Manny's! When I was young sax player and I had just moved to NYC, I stopped at Manny's because I was offered a job there through a mutual friend. I never ended up taking the job, but I did end up meeting and "talking shop" with Ornette Coleman. I left Manny's that day floating on air. I had totally forgotten about that until this post.

Thanks and may your B-day be blessed with a Copeland!