OFFICIAL POLL: SEPARATE OFF-TOPIC FORUM?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Would you like to see a separate forum for Off-Topic posts?

Yes, Dale
62%
No, Dale
38%

Total votes: 165

ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Bloomfield wrote:Funny, Erik. I had you down as one who abhorred the drink. ;)
I am giddy with life, sir!

You have to admit, though, that I'm being pretty liberal in my ability to change. Not conservative - nope. Change is good! Viva la differance ;)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

ErikT wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Funny, Erik. I had you down as one who abhorred the drink. ;)
I am giddy with life, sir!

You have to admit, though, that I'm being pretty liberal in my ability to change. Not conservative - nope. Change is good! Viva la differance ;)
Could be carbon paper minoxidil poisoning. Never trust products from Ronco... well... some Ronco pastas are okay, but that is actually a different Ronco, Ronco Pasta Maker, notwithstanding.
Reasonable person
Walden
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

ErikT wrote:Ok, I'm with Bloomfield.
I suggest the following Forums:

Cran's
why does CRAN get his OWN Forum???? I want an IZZY forum too. :wink:

Oh wait...to be on topic (didn't mean to stray off...), I agree with whatever they said, so long as it was agreeable.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jack

Post by Jack »

izzarina wrote:
ErikT wrote:Ok, I'm with Bloomfield.
I suggest the following Forums:

Cran's
why does CRAN get his OWN Forum???? I want an IZZY forum too. :wink:

Oh wait...to be on topic (didn't mean to stray off...), I agree with whatever they said, so long as it was agreeable.
Dale loveth me?
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

DaleWisely wrote: I do read the whistle forum daily--although I can't read everything. I could go through and pick out a lot of items from the board to include in the newsletter, but it really is rather hard to sort through ALL the stuff. It wouild be SO much easier for me to do if all the hard stuff on whistles was in one location.
Dale

Sold.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I voted to keep the board as is. This is purely for my own benefit. I know that I do not like jumping from one board to another- and the OT posts are intresting/entertaining quiet often. I check this board most every day. The other board I watch is for owners/renovators of Arts&Crafts style houses. That board is very structured,very informative and as full of experts and newbies as this one. I have yet to see anything resembling an OT post like the ones we have here. I visit that board once a month or so and rarely post. It is strictly a source of info on it's subject, nothing more.
I'd hate to see C&F lose the "community" feel.

On a related note- surely with the brilliant and creative minds we have around here, someone can come up with something inspiring to name our "pub" (if we are forced to have one). Irish tune names are just too good to have the pub name be mediocre/uncreative.

So if the pub is created we'll have to have a naming contest. :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Please do heed my earlier suggestion ...

As the board is constructed now, you have to go through two clicks to get from one forum to another. (You have to go back to the index page and then click again to go from the index page to the next forum.)

When the new OT forum is created, please arrange so that you can go from any forum to any other forum with just one click, without having to go back to the index page and then go from the index page to another forum. That should help to keep the various forums from becoming isolated.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've belonged to a few communities that have split up boards (a "small pet board" became "rat and mouse", "hamster and gerbil" "invertebrate" and "fish and aquarium" boards), and we lost a lot of our membership in the transistion. They just stopped posting, presumably because they had more than one type of interest and didn't feel up to keeping to two boards.

Of course, the membership was smaller than this place, though...

Eventually all the boards were closed.

There's no doubt that if an entirely new forum is undertaken, some of our membership shall disappear. That's how it works on the web, for some reason.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'm agin it.

I come here for the 'on topic' stuff, but I frequently get invoved in the 'off topic' stuff too. I think that labeling them "OT" is sufficient warning, and those who want to get involved will, those who don't , won't, and we can still sit at the kitchen table, so to speak, with the same friends. When the whistleing topics are lively and full, there will be less OT, and when there is OT stuff of import or impact, it will rise for a time. Workds for me.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

Jerry Freeman wrote:When the new OT forum is created, please arrange so that you can go from any forum to any other forum with just one click,
There is a "Jump to" pull down menu at the lower right of the forum and post pages...
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:I voted to keep the board as is. This is purely for my own benefit. I know that I do not like jumping from one board to another- and the OT posts are intresting/entertaining quiet often. I check this board most every day. The other board I watch is for owners/renovators of Arts&Crafts style houses. That board is very structured,very informative and as full of experts and newbies as this one. I have yet to see anything resembling an OT post like the ones we have here. I visit that board once a month or so and rarely post. It is strictly a source of info on it's subject, nothing more.
I'd hate to see C&F lose the "community" feel.

On a related note- surely with the brilliant and creative minds we have around here, someone can come up with something inspiring to name our "pub" (if we are forced to have one). Irish tune names are just too good to have the pub name be mediocre/uncreative.

So if the pub is created we'll have to have a naming contest. :party:
My daughter says I ought to open a pub called "The Spotted Worm." The reason is, she and my husband both misheard the lyrics to "Molly Na gCuach Ní Chuilleanain" as:

"She spotted a worm, she spotted a worm, she spotted a worm on a gym machine"

(if you're curious, the real lyrics are "Is fada liom uaim í, is fada liom uaim í, is fada liom uaim í ó d’imigh sí").

Now everyone in the family refers to it as "the spotted worm song"! Jo thinks it would be the perfect name for a pub (likely because she wouldn't be the one to have to explain to Irish musicians where the name came from!).

REdwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Mina

Post by Mina »

I'm just a casual lurker who is inspired to post on this.

I would actually like it a LOT if the OT threads were elsewhere. I look to C&F as a valuable source of information, but I find it gets difficult to find the threads I'm really interested in, especially if I haven't visited in a bit.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the issue. :D

And off to lurk s'more... :)
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

I think this would only made sense if the moderators would make new set rules that everybody willing to post OT topics would post to that new forum ONLY.

berti
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I'd be very happy to separate whistle stuff from OT stuff.

I have almost no interest at all in whistle stuff, since I play fiddle these days, but I like keeping in touch with all my friends here on the board.

I agree that keeping this area for chat, and creating a new Whistle-Only area, could make sense.

Failing that, a "General Chat" forum would be good, so we don't have to add OT: to all our threads.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Bloomfield wrote:If we just leave the Poststructural Whistleforum the way it is and add a "Whistle Forum" it will appear the same to almost everyone, because we'd be going from few whistle-related topics to almost none (just a few strays).

And the whistle forum would have the reviews, technical questions and so forth, with no OT allowed. The main benefit would be that the whistle-forum would move much slower.
I support Bloom's suggestion.

IMO, a separate OT board wouldn't work properly; telling people to go to some other place in order to have a chat would kill the whole thing off. No, keep the Poststructural board as it is, allowing OT as well as music/instrument related stuff as people see fit, but also introduce a separate whistle forum, where the "serious" whistle threads can go. After all, it has worked really well in the case of the flute and UP fora (which are both very much alive, with hardly an OT post to be seen)...

Cheers,
Jens