OFFICIAL POLL: SEPARATE OFF-TOPIC FORUM?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Would you like to see a separate forum for Off-Topic posts?

Yes, Dale
62%
No, Dale
38%

Total votes: 165

Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OFFICIAL POLL: SEPARATE OFF-TOPIC FORUM?

Post by Dale »

I'd like to know if there is a consensus on this topic.

Thanks.

Dale
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

While the amount of OT is enough to drive anyone up the wall I am not sure separate forum would be the solution. SOmething should be done though to get a better balance though.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Peter Laban wrote:While the amount of OT is enough to drive anyone up the wall I am not sure separate forum would be the solution. SOmething should be done though to get a better balance though.
Thanks, Peter. Any ideas? I don't want to discourage OT posts in general. I think that's a part of the fun of the community. I don't know that there is anything that can be done to INCREASE the number of On-T posts. So, I'm having trouble with the vision thing on any choices other than maintaining the status quo or a separate OT forum.

Dale
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

No ideas, sorry. It's because it's part of ithe board that I don't think the separate board would work but as it is the OT is way OTT.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Peter Laban wrote:No ideas, sorry. It's because it's part of ithe board that I don't think the separate board would work but as it is the OT is way OTT.

Yeah, I understand. That's the dilemma. I'm thinking about breaking down and starting a blog to use as a medium for some of the impulses that cause me to go way OT.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

IMO, the permanent "Political and sometimes religious" thread is a pretty good solution for those specific topics.

I wonder if there's another topic or two that might go into another permanent thread (or two or three) so we could check on what's being discussed on those threads whenever we're in the mood.

That way they would still be on the same page, which I think is important, but wouldn't fill the board so much. And of course, other OT posts on different subjects that don't fit the topics of the permanent OT threads could still be posted on their own.

It would just be a matter of trying to figure out what umbrella topics might lend themselves to permanent OT threads and then trying the idea out.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Danner

Post by Danner »

Considering this is an "official" poll:
a) is there a minimum voting age on C&F?
b) do we have to register ourselves at the county office place?
c)which of the options is considered liberal and which one is conservitive?
d) do we get to have those really ugly striped curtains around our computer as we submit a vote? :P

Honestly, I really feel both ways about this. I kinda think we should all really try hard to mark OT posts. (I know I'm guilty of not including the OT.) Those who do not want to read OT posts can just ignore them.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Strikes me that there may not be enough ON-T threads to sustain a dedicated forum.
Also,the most frequent OFF-T posters are very knowledgeable about whistles and related matters but have they got the time to frequent two distinct forums to reply to the usual newbie questions and/or have the OFF-T banter?
Tough call...

I'm saying leave things as they are.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
carrie

Post by carrie »

I'm with dubhlinn.

Carol
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

:oops: I know I'm guilty as charged for way too many OT threads, and/or participating in them.

Personally, I love the board as is...the wide variety of things that come through here truly brightens my day. However, I can understand that it may be frustrating for those who are really wanting Whistle Talk. For myself, I have a hard time feeling confident enough to talk whistles because I know there are so many more here with a greater knowledge. Even though I've been playing an instrument and singing for most of my life, I'm a little intimidated when it comes to talking intelligently about whistles, whistle-playing, and ITrad. But I love participating in the community... so I just chime in on other things.

Maybe a seperate OT board would help, but I wonder if the overall atmosphere would lose something. I don't know. I'm not much help, because I can play this two-sides-of-the-coin thing for days on end. :P
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I'd say: give it a try, it might work. Would advocate having a separate whistle forum, just like the flute & stepped-on cat forums. When I joined on-topic whistle threads were rarely more than a page long and you got all you needed in 5 to 10 replies. Wouldn't be a bad going back to that.

Would it be possible to combine the two forums if the experiment fails after a month or three? We wouldn't want to lose any OT threads...
/Bloomfield
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Bloomfield wrote:Would advocate having a separate whistle forum, just like the flute & stepped-on cat forums.
At one point in time, that's what this <i>was</i>!
Would it be possible to combine the two forums if the experiment fails after a month or three? We wouldn't want to lose any OT threads...
Yep, definitely. A new forum would need some herding to begin with, and in the same way that OT threads could be moved over there, the whole bunch could be moved back if it flops.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm increasingly inclined to give it a try. It doesn't have to work perfectly. But, let's let the poll run a bit longer.

Thanks,

Dale
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I've been in forums that had separate sections set up for OT post. They were never used. Like a sinkhole, the unused section grew larger and larger, until the entire forum fell into it, never to appear again. Is this some kind of corrupt infiltration from within trying to end chiff and fipple as we know it?
I think we should do away with all the sections and have everyone use one section of the forum.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cskinner wrote:I'm with dubhlinn.

Carol
Me too.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!