movie quotes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

From Buckaroo Banzai (too many to list all):

"The future starts tomorrow."
"Wherever you go... there you are!"
"Your Overthruster is the sh*t, John Whorfin! It will never work!"
"Bigbootay! It's Bigboo-TAY!"

NEW JERSEY: Why is there a watermelon there?
RENO NEVADA: I'll tell you later.

BUCKAROO BANZAI: Just... just hold on... that's good. It flies like a truck.
JOHN PARKER: Good. What is a truck?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Outlaw Jose Wells: Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Outlaw Jose Wells: Don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

Speaking of Clint.

Pork Chop Hill: (A bad movie but has good quotes).

Marine Sgt talking to his platoon in the latrine: "Shake it once ladies. More than once constitutes pleasure and we're not in that business."

Bloomfield, why doesn't it surprise me that you quote a line like that??
I'll have to see that, if it's actually a film. Right now I do not have that film. Or maybe I have not that film.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Bloomfield, why doesn't it surprise me that you quote a line like that??
I'll have to see that, if it's actually a film. Right now I do not have that film. Or maybe I have not that film.
Well, I was going to quote stuff from Airplane ("This isn't the time to stop sniffing glue.") and from the Dark Crystal ("hey, I don't have wings!"/"Of course not, you're a boy.") but then I thought I have a reputation to consider...

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead is a great movie BUT you have to have seen/read Hamlet several times, you have to like puns and word-play, and most of all you have to remember that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are two minor characters from Hamlet, university friends of his, charged by his mother & uncle to cheer him up and find out what's eating him. This makes Hamlet suspicious and he sends R & G on a sea voyage to England with instructions to have them killed while at sea. The movie is basically a take on Hamlet from R&G's perspective, and the audience knows what's coming, but they don't. ("Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead" is actually a line from Hamlet.) The little conversation Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have about death "being a boat" happens when they are on said sea voyage to England which makes it all Very Interesting or hilariously funny, depending on where you are on the sliding sober - drunk/stoned scale.

"Don't push me."
(Stalone in Rambo)
/Bloomfield
norseman

Post by norseman »

One of my all-time favorite movies is Shawshank Redemption. I love Red's narration after Andy had escaped:

"Those of us who knew him best talk about him often. I swear, the stuff he pulled. It always makes us laugh. Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are just too bright ... and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice ... but still, the place you live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend. "
Last edited by norseman on Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Humphrey Bogart. I'll watch him in any movie, any time. He's fabulous. From The Big Sleep: "I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like 'em myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings."

Susan
glauber

Post by glauber »

susnfx wrote:Humphrey Bogart. I'll watch him in any movie, any time. He's fabulous. From The Big Sleep: "I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like 'em myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings."

Susan
You should read the better Raymond Chandler novels, then. You'll love them.
  • The Big Sleep
  • Farewell My Lovely
  • The High Window
  • The Lady In The Lake
  • The Long Goodbye
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

From a recent movie i liked: the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

Are you sure there's no risk of brain damage?
Well, technically, this procedure is brain damage!
--Wellsprings--
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

susnfx wrote:Humphrey Bogart. I'll watch him in any movie, any time. He's fabulous. From The Big Sleep: "I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like 'em myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings."

Susan
I like him in every movie, but one of my favorites is To Have and Have Not. I like the line where he tells the guy: "You're bleeding all over my boat."

And although it wasn't his line, thru the whole movie I enjoyed "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"

That may be my favorite line of all time.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

blackhawk wrote:

Susan
I like him in every movie, but one of my favorites is To Have and Have Not. I like the line where he tells the guy: "You're bleeding all over my boat."

And although it wasn't his line, thru the whole movie I enjoyed "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"

That may be my favorite line of all time.
Walter Brennan striking up a relationship with Lauren Bacall; great scene.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail-

Arthur: Consult the book of Armaments!
High Priest: Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:
Brother Maynard: And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high
saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it
smash our enemies to tiny bits."
And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the
lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and
lima bean-
High Priest: Skip a bit, brother.
Brother Maynard: And then the Lord spake, saying:
"First, shalt thou take out the holy pin.
Then shalt thou count to three.
No more, no less.
*Three* shall be the number of the counting, and the number
of the counting shall be three.
*Four* shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two,
excepting that thou then goest on to three.
Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third
number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade
to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff
it. Amen.
All: Amen.
Arthur: Right! (pulls pin)
One!
Two!
Five!
Bedevere: Three, Sire!!
Arthur: Three!

Hail Freedonia-

Rufus T. Firefly: "Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: he really is an idiot. I implore you, send him back to his father and brothers, who are waiting for him with open arms in the penitentiary. I suggest that we give him ten years in Leavenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth." Chicolini: "I'll tell you what I'll do: I'll take five and ten in Woolworth."

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
teeisblue

Post by teeisblue »

I have to admit, my fave Monty Python line ever-
Black Knight: 'Tis but a scratch.
Arthur: A scratch? Your arm's off.
Black Knight: No it isn't.
Arthur: What's that, then?
Black Knight: [after a pause] I've had worse.

and from Catch-22
Yossarian: For Christ's sake, you didn't even take the seeds out.
1st Lt. Milo Minderbinder: Is it really that bad?
Yossarian: It's cotton!

Yossarian: Those Basmatis are trying to kill me.
Minderbinder: No one is trying to kill you sweetheart. Now eat your dessert like a good boy.
Yossarian: Oh yeah? Then why are they shooting at me Milo?
Dobbs: They're shooting at everyone Yossarian.
Yossarian: And what difference does that make?
Dobbs: Look Yossarian, suppose, I mean just suppose everyone thought the same way you do.
Yossarian: Then I'd be a damn fool to think any different.

Yossarian: Let me see if I've got this straight: in order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy and I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy any more and I have to keep flying?
Music, like religion, unconditionally brings in its train all the moral virtues to the heart it enters, even though that heart is not in the least worthy.
Jean Baptiste Montegut
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

There is a hilarious scene in Woody Allans "Annie Hall" where Diane Keaton is lying in bed smoking a joint while Woody woodys about,She offers him a toke only for him to reply "No thanks,the last time I tried that I tried to get my underpants off over my head".

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Montana

Post by Montana »

"No! Try not! Do! Or do not! There is no try!" - Yoda in Return of the Jedi

"Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid." - Rick in Casablanca

"You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am..." - Terry in On the Waterfront

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure. " - Agent Smith in The Matrix
glauber

Post by glauber »

Morpheus (Matrix) wrote: This is your last chance. After this, there is no going back. You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
--Wellsprings--