Way OT: Dreaming in b/w or color

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Are the majority of your dreams in b/w, or are they in color?

B/W (black and white)
3%
Color
97%

Total votes: 36

Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Danner »

Sometimes when I am right about to wake up or fall asleep I find myself telling myself what to dream. Once and a while I'll know that I'm dreaming and I'll say, "wow, it would be cool if this would happen," and I make it happen in my dream. Or, I'll be "dreaming" about what might happen next in a book I am reading, the dream will be going along, and suddenly I realize that what I'm making up couldn't happen for some obvious reason. I'll "rewind" my dream and start over right before the error occured. It's really weird, but that's what happens.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I remember two dreams in color - one in vivid colors that was enchanted whilst on the enchanted isle of Skye one really wierd evening and one apochalyptic awesome dream in rich earth tones. The rest are more of the mundane black and white superhero stuff...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

The only times I'm aware of dreaming "in color" are when the colors actually matter in the dream. Otherwise, I wake up and am focused on the other content of the dream.

Once I dreamed a red lake and a green sky.

Once I dreamed I was a child Crusader, with an ancient but brilliant sword. When I pulled it from its scabbard I was alone on a dark hill at night. The sword reflected into the sky, like a watch crystal makes spots on the ceiling. I realized that the aurora I was seeing was controlled by the sword in my hand, and I could swirl the colors and paint the night sky.

Jennie
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

The only times I'm aware of dreaming "in color" are when the colors actually matter in the dream. Otherwise, I wake up and am focused on the other content of the dream.

Once I dreamed a red lake and a green sky.

Once I dreamed I was a child Crusader, with an ancient but brilliant sword. When I pulled it from its scabbard I was alone on a dark hill at night. The sword reflected into the sky, like a watch crystal makes spots on the ceiling. I realized that the aurora I was seeing was controlled by the sword in my hand, and I could swirl the colors and paint the night sky.

Jennie
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

This thread reminds me of a song I wrote. At this moment, I can't remember the melody line, but here are the lyrics. It is an uptempo happy song. Enjoy.

Dream with me Tonight

I’m looking for a dreamer, to guide my vision tonight.
I’ve got a blind spot, need that second sight.
When I dream in color, it turns to grey,
There’s something missing, though what I can’t say...

Dream, dream, dreamer, dream with me tonight.
Come in from the autumn cold
and open the door to a path of gold,
and I’ll be there in vivid color,
with open arms as if I’m your lover.

Miles apart, souls together,
Spirits linked ever and ever,
Love so pure, passion on fire,
Share this dream fulfilled your desire.

Hold me close, hold me tight,
Comfort me through this night,
Dreams come true, and love comes too,
When I’m dreaming, when I’m dreaming with you....

Copyright 2004 William Chin
Congratulations

Re: Way OT: Dreaming in b/w or color

Post by Congratulations »

I dream in black and white... when I dream. I only dream two or three nights in any given month, though. Sort of makes me sad when people start sharing funny dream stories, and I don't have any... :sniffle:

One time, I went to sleep in a sleeping bag, with my head coming out of the hole in the top like a normal person, and I woke up with my feet poking out of the top, and my head at the other end. Needless to say, I was surprised upon my wake.

But anyway, I only recall one dream that wasn't entirely in black and white, and that one was sort of a "Schindler's List" use of color (i.e. the red scarf that constituted the only color in the movie for a bit).
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Color, or, colour. :D

sweet dreams.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Bill, your song lyrics are great! :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I can't say what mine are. I've never thought about it. I'm too interested in the content. I guess they're in color but sometimes they're in colour.

It's interesting to see what Ta, Ad, Co, Bi, Du, Em, Gl, Je, Ph, Da and everyone else thinks (I hope you all don't mind the affectionate abbreviations). Some of you remember the details of the surroundings in more detail then events while others remember events. I tend to remember more of what I was doing then the details of where.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
psychih

Post by psychih »

I once dreamt I was speaking to Ovid in Latin.

But my dreams are in colour. I suppose certain shades might stand out, I remember them(?) more.

It's all in the mind.

:boggle:
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

I dream in Chiff and Fipple.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I always dream in color.

The first dream I remember ever having was when I was about 4 years old - I was watching Mighty Mouse beat up a mean old cat in a boxing ring, complete with cartoon-style BAM and POW graphics.

I usually don't see people in my dreams - just have a sense that people are around. But I do see water, storms, and buildings very clearly.

If I have a dream about a bad thunderstorm with lots of lightning or a tornado, it means bad things are going to happen.

My blind friend says sometimes he will see colors in his dreams - he did have some vision for the first 3 or 4 years of his life.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Flyingcursor wrote: It's interesting to see what Ta, Ad, Co, Bi, Du, Em, Gl, Je, Ph, Da and everyone else thinks (I hope you all don't mind the affectionate abbreviations). Some of you remember the details of the surroundings in more detail then events while others remember events. I tend to remember more of what I was doing then the details of where.

I'm assuming I'm Ad. And I do mind the abbreviation, Fly, I'm pretty sure I told all of you a while back to address me as 'aderyn_dudesteress', per GaryKelly. Hmmph.

:P
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I think that the visual images in a dream are recalled when they're the focus, or an important part of the focus. When it's the emotion that is what your brain is working through, that's what you wake up with. If it's the physical action (trying to fly, trying not to drown) then that's the sensation you recall. The rest of the details fade really quickly.

There are probably lots of folks who don't recall dreaming in color because that's not what they're focused on at the moment they wake.

Interesting thoughts. Does my dog dream in color?
Je
or Jen
or Jennie
but never Jenni