RE: Recording Tommy Reck's "Stone in the Field"

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

oleo wrote:ya'll know the rest.
I'm afraid I'm with Joseph on this. I never took the story of Reck's wife in a negative light. If you're in a relationship where your partner's opinion matters to you, and your partner cares enough to have an opinion about you, I think you should count yourself blessed.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
L42B

RE: Recordings

Post by L42B »

I thought the name rung a bell. I've got a recording of Tommy Reck playing Carloyn's Concerto (never thought it was a pipe tune). It's on the album Seoltaí Séidte (Setting Sail) track 7. There's some other great recordings on that CD of other musicians from the time. Including Sean'ac Dhonncha, Sean Ryan, Joe Burke, Willie Clancy, Denis Murphy (ths list goes on). It's a great CD as it allows you to listen to different styles of Irish music on the pipes (and other instruments). It's helped me a lot with my piping and understanding of Irish music. I'd highly recommend it. For those interested Seoltaí Séidte was published by Gael Linn recordings.

Cheers L42B :)
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

On THE DRONES AND THE CHANTERS VOL. ONE, Claddagh, Reck plays three tunes, for a grand total of four minutes and fifty five seconds, "The Scholar," "Top it Off," and "The Salamanca." The liner notes say these were recorded in 1971. It would have been a terrible shame if his wife burned up that Kena set (circa 1794).
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

There's some old Gael Linn stuff out there with Tommy.

Cait bhoideach / Tommy Reck, uilleann pipes
Dublin : Gael-Linn: CE 2, p 195-?-, 10 in. 78 rpm : mono
Contents: Cait bhoideach (Bonnie Kate), Ril Mhic Leoid (McLeod's reel) , Girrseachai Fhearrnai (Fermoy lasses). Seosamh O hEanai (singer) on the reverse side

Comhsheinm Ui Chearbhallain / Tommy Reck, uilleann pipes
Dublin : Gael-Linn: CE 3, p 195-?-, 10 in. 78 rpm : mono
Contents: Comhsheinm Ui Chearbhallain (Carolan's concerto). Seosamh O hEanai (singer) on the reverse side

There's also a tape of an annual pipers concert in Dublin, forget the name just now, that has Tommy, and others playing.

Tommy's Kenna set isn't from 1794 as someone suggested. It's by Kenna the younger, has 3 regs and looks very nice (in the photo at least).

Pat did you reed Tommy's set yourself or did you take it to Matt, Dan or Leo? I assume then that Tommy didn't make his own reeds. There's a man in Sweden with parts of a Kenna set he got from Matt, we couldn't get it playing in tune though.
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hello

Sean O'Riada had a series of programs on the radio in the sixties, lecturing on Irish music. RTE (I think) brought out a compilation of the series in a three-cassette format. Tommy was the piper used to illustrate the piping element of the series. He played the scale on the chanter and some tunes (I'm in work now but I will add in his contribution when I get home)

The notes on the cassete state;
1) Illustration of range of chanter (scale); Regulator chords, popping cran, roll
2) Miss Mcleods/Dogs among the bushes
3) Lament for Staker Wallace
4) Gillians Apples, The Fairy Reel

Cheers

John Moran
Last edited by Seanie on Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Seanie wrote:Hello

Sean O'Riada had a series of programs on the radio in the sixties, lecturing on Irish music. RTE (I think) brought out a compilation of the series in a three-cassette format. Tommy was the piper used to illustrate the piping element of the series. He played the scale on the chanter and some tunes (I'm in work now but I will add in his contribution when I get home)

Cheers

John Moran
Very cool. I look forward to it. :)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Seanie wrote:Hello

Cheers

John Moran
Three lp or cassette. I remember the dogs among the bushes and the concerto but there was probably a bit more.

There's a Copley 78 rpm from the late 40. Bill Stapleton recorded felix Doran, Tommy reck and others in his Moore st studios. Tommy remembered it as being whisked in, play a few tunes and off again and that was the last he heard of it. We had him staying over for a tionol in 89, we were all at a friends house. Before Tommy got up in the morning (after a long night of playing) we were lsitening t othe Copley 78 from my friends collection. In the middle of it Tommy came up the stairs into the room and was amazed by it. First time he heard it, never got a penny for it ofcourse.
One side has Alexander's/Higgin's the other scholar and I think Salamanca, the usual party pieces anyway. But played very nicely.

I have a few tapes that came from tommy and his daughter, one recorded by a priest, very nice stuff on that. PLus a few hours from above tionol and the Willie week before that (and the Ace and deuce concert of the same year).

Another of nature's gentlemen.

John Dally

Post by John Dally »

Very cool photograph there, Peter.

Are any of the linked audio files on your web site from that 78? The recording of "Ag Cr/iost an S/iol" sounds like a 78. What is the story behind that recording?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

That was pat D'Arcy's job, linking that I mean.

i forgot to mention there was some stuff on RTE at some point of Tommie Reck playing with Joe Ryan (they used to play together during the 60s, win fleadhs and that sort of stuff). very nice too.
patsky

Post by patsky »

Pat did you reed Tommy's set yourself or did you take it to Matt, Dan or Leo? I assume then that Tommy didn't make his own reeds. There's a man in Sweden with parts of a Kenna set he got from Matt, we couldn't get it playing in tune though.

I made the reeds used on the Stone and the Field.

Pat Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I have been listening to Tommy's playing on "The Stone in the Field" recording.

I have a question about his lower E rolls. Does he perform an E roll with the E, A cut, then a closed-chanter (D) pat that is, in effect a silence, frequently? I think this is what I hear on "The Kilfrush" for example.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

T
totokots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

Hi Tommy

I just had a listen to that tune and I think your description of his Eroll is spot on.
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hey totokotsDude, that avatar bears a striking resemblance to the one you posted a year or two ago. :D
totokots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

Wasn't me, Lorenzo: I only signed up a few weeks ago. There must be another contortionist out there: it helps with playing the pipes!
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

hmmm...right, I guess. But it's still funny how two different minds could run in that same exact direction. Maybe KLR could fill us in on the coincidence.