MLK Day

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: All of God's Children

Post by anniemcu »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
JessieD wrote:"This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring." And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania! Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado! Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California! But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia! Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee! Let freedom ring from every hill and every molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King, August 28, 1963
...thank you JessieD,

Everytime I read those words, or hear the voice of Dr. King speaking them, I feel reborn. I feel ready to face the world and her people with my arms extrended to embrace peace, love and understanding.
AMEN!!!

It makes my heart sing. It makes me able to carry the weight of having to deal with the A**H***S who don't get it at all...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

The Weekenders wrote: Further, I cannot let it go without comment that there is only one holiday that names a specific person left in the US calendar and its this one being discussed.
Well, there is Christmas.

Caj
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

The Weekenders wrote: Further, I cannot let it go without comment that there is only one holiday that names a specific person left in the US calendar and its this one being discussed.
I was really upset when they renamed Columbus Day after Columbus OH.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Caj wrote:
Well, there is Christmas.

Caj
Personally, I was more disappointed that they turned Washington's and Lincolns individual Birthday celebrations into one, and more from the standpoint of denial of exceptional contribution, than from the loss of one holiday. I would prefer to have kept them separate.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

The Weekenders wrote: I believe it should be called Civil Rights Day and should NOT be a holiday for schoolchildren. They should be in school learning history today. Education is the way out of racism, not going to the mall for the special sales.
Uh, oh, it may be the end of the world as we know it- I'm in total agreement with something Weeks said. :D

Weeks- I'm with you here. It should be a day dedicated to learning the history of the civil rights movement, what folks did, etc., etc. Education is the only way out.

I have some similar thoughts re: Veterans' Day, but I'll leave that to another time.

Thanks for your thoughful comments.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

StewySmoot wrote:
http://postdiluvian.org/~adam/closed_on_the_17th.mp3

I don't even know what to say about this. Listen for yourself.
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:
StewySmoot wrote:
http://postdiluvian.org/~adam/closed_on_the_17th.mp3

I don't even know what to say about this. Listen for yourself.

Bloomfield- the answering machine, "said it all."

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:If we look to history and say "nation of immigrants," we should give a bit longer look at history and realize that most all people groups have migrated. I don't hear too many people calling England a nation of immigrants because of the Normans and Saxons whose descendants are a part of the established citizenry. Likewise, if we look to the history of the American Indian tribes, I think we could see that many of them (or I should say we, as I am a member of one such nation) have migrated, from territory to territory, as well.
I've only recently started reading a bit of real history of some of the tribes (as opposed to the kind of stuff that was available when I was in school). I was surprised to find that the Ojibwa pushed the Lakota from Minnesota into the Dakotas, with the Lakota pushing the formerly agricultural Cheyenne ahead of them, the Cheyenne pushing the Kiowa, and so on. The original impetus for at least some of this pushing was undoubtedly the influx of Europeans from the East.

Web sites where members of one tribe write about how some other tribe tried to wipe them out conflict with a lot of stuff I had read about Native Americans all getting along pretty well, with few people actually getting killed. Reading about Utes capturing Navajos for the Mexican slave trade really was a shock.

As far as who got here first, there seems to be some new information about that. http://www.geolsoc.org.uk/template.cfm?name=BA200402 starts off:

"New research is showing that the modern people now referred to as Native Americans were not in fact the first people to have colonised the Americas. Studies of ancient skull shape - soon to be reinforced by new DNA data - suggest that the first immigrants arrived towards the end of the last Ice Age from Australia/Polynesia by island-hopping clockwise around the Pacific. Modern Native Americans probably derive from a later wave that arrived by land from central Asia."

There's a PDF file with much more detailed data at http://www.tracegenetics.com/Eshlemanetal2003.pdf that makes it clear that there's still a lot to be discovered.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
carrie

Post by carrie »

My first big project in educational publishing was editing and managing an 8th grade U. S. History text by Clarence L. Ver Steeg, who was then Dean of the Graduate School at Northwestern University. Though he understood the limitations of textbook publishing, he had a simple and I feel profound approach to U.S. history: If you tell the story of the Native Americans right, he told me, you tell the story of the country right.

We're still writing this story, of course, and I genuinely admire the founders of our country, but I feel a day devoted to Martin Luther King, Jr. --even if there is not a day devoted to any other single person--is a decent effort at getting the story right.

Carol
missy

Post by missy »

Darwin wrote:
"Web sites where members of one tribe write about how some other tribe tried to wipe them out conflict with a lot of stuff I had read about Native Americans all getting along pretty well, with few people actually getting killed"

I in no way mean this negatively (I know European history is filled with a lot of bad stuff) but the idea of the "noble savage" living in harmony with the elements and their neighboring groups is pretty much bunk. I don't have links handy, but there's been many studies lately of speculation that peoples in this area pretty much lived a "slash and burn, farm it till it's exhausted, and move on" type of lifestyle.

I think human nature is just a pretty much "look out for oneself" type of thing. Or maybe that's our animalistic nature, and the "human" part comes in when we feel empathy? But I"m getting away from the original thread.......

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I hesitated to write anything but I don't see anyone who remembers first hand the way it was. I grew up in and around Washington, DC. I remember going to the department stores downtown where there were water fountains that said "white only" and "colored only". I remember the lunch rooms in downtown with signs that said "whites only" or "no coloreds" As a small boy I often wondered where do the "colored" buy lunch or go to the bathroom. Many people I knew did not dislike individuals of African background but they wouldn't eat with them even those that were good friends.

My mother and I often went to Pennsylvania on the train. The only African American on the car was the porter who served us. There was a car on the back of the train for "colored only". All of those who were traveling on the train were crowded into the one car. What kind of services and facilities, if any, they had in that car I don't know. Likewise when traveling by car all the motels and restaurants had signs saying "colored only".

They integrated my high school. It was a small rural high school. We had one boy and one girl that came to our school. My friends and I were the group that would have been voted most likely to do anything except suceed. We went up to the one boy, who appeared to be terrified. We told him, "You don't need to worry about anyone giving you any trouble. If they do they will have to deal with us. Come on over and hang out with us and everyone will get the message." It was reported that there was no trouble at our high school. It is too bad that others weren't treated the same way.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
glauber

Post by glauber »

What really amazes me is that all this stuff happened less than a generation ago. There are still plenty of people around who knew Dr. King personally.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

RonKiley wrote:I hesitated to write anything but I don't see anyone who remembers first hand the way it was.
Well, I've written some of this before, but here goes again.

When I was a kid, we ate flange toes (Brazil nuts), played with flange shooters (slingshots, catapults) and flange chasers (devil chasers--a kind of fireworks), chanted "eeny meeny miney moe, catch a flange by the toe" and sang:

Police, police, don't catch me
Catch that flange behind that tree
He stole one and I stole none
Police, police, ain't this fun

One of my main memories is that in many Texas movie theaters, Blacks had to sit in the balcony. In most cases, there would be stairs going up the side of the theater, so the White patrons never had to see them. But in the large first-run theaters, like the Majestic, the Metropolitan, and Loew's State in downtown Houston, Blacks weren't admitted at all, and you had to pay extra to sit in the balcony. In Rosenberg, where my grandparents lived, Blacks weren't permitted to attend the Saturday morning cartoon-and-Western shows, so we White kids got to go up there where we could throw popcorn on our friends below.

Bus stations had separate waiting rooms--or none--for Blacks.

When some friends and I drove home from the Defense Language Institute in the summer of '63, I noticed that after we hit El Paso, all the "Whites Only" signs in restaurants had been replaced with "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone." I guess that made it legal. We decided we wouldn't stop at any place that had such a sign.

But one of my most vivid memories is earlier than that. It's the murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till in Mississippi in 1955. (I was 13 at the time.) I found this Look Magazine article about it, but I recall an earlier article about it, also in Look, which must have been published right after it happened. There's another, describing what his mother saw when she identified the body.

I just missed integration, having graduated in 1959. There were no Blacks at Southwestern University, either, though we had Chinese, Japanese, Laotians, Mexicans, Columbians, Palestinians, Israelis, Greeks, and even a Canadian. However, we did have a visiting Black preacher for Chapel one week. He told about preaching at some town in Utah. After his sermon, someone came up to him and complimented him on the game the night before. It turned out that he had been preceded by the Harlem Globetrotters, and since there were no Blacks in the town, the folks there couldn't tell one Black man from another.

My first personal contact with Blacks who were not maids was in Basic Training in 1962.

Some of my college classmates went to a friend's house for Easter one year. On Easter Sunday, they got into the friend's father's pickup truck with a bunch of rotten vegetables, drove off to "flange Town", and drove past a church that was just letting out. They pelted all the Blacks in their Easter best with the vegetables, and drove on through. What they didn't know was that they were on a deadend street. They had to turn around and come out the way they'd come in. Of course, the locals knew that, so when they came back through, there were people up in trees and or roofs with rocks, bricks, and empty soda bottles. When my friends got back to school, they were bruised all over. I think the friend got into trouble because of damage to his father's truck, too.

I often heard descriptions of "flange knocking". This involved driving along a country road looking for a Black on foot, then shoving a long 2x4 out the window to smack them in the head while driving by. Blacks weren't the only beneficiaries of Texas racism, as there was also "Bracero hunting", which involved shooting (legal) Mexican field workers with .22 rifles--just to wound them, of course.

In Taiwan, in about 1965, a bunch of White soldiers chased down an Black soldier and beat him up. Why? Because he ran. The White soldier who led the group once told me that he planned to go back home to Tennessee and run for Sherrif.

I have a fair number of relatives who are no less racist today than they were back in those days. Given the dragging death of James Byrd, Jr. in Jasper, TX in 1998, it's hard to imagine that everything is all fine and dandy now.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

cskinner wrote:
My first big project in educational publishing was editing and managing an 8th grade U. S. History text by Clarence L. Ver Steeg, who was then Dean of the Graduate School at Northwestern University. Though he understood the limitations of textbook publishing, he had a simple and I feel profound approach to U.S. history: If you tell the story of the Native Americans right, he told me, you tell the story of the country right.

We're still writing this story, of course, and I genuinely admire the founders of our country, but I feel a day devoted to Martin Luther King, Jr. --even if there is not a day devoted to any other single person--is a decent effort at getting the story right.

Carol
The way I figure it, maybe after a few years of feel-good, it may become Civil Rights Day and that's an okay compromise by me. And the way his family keeps milking royalties may hasten the process. You can't use the I HAVE A DREAM speech without paying them, unlike others famous peoples quotes. I don't think Roosevelts kin demand cash for "a day which will live in infamy" and so forth.

As for other comments, I would check out whether its called Christmas as a holiday. That word is disappearing very fast in official publications. I work at a private newspaper for a retirement community, and we were not allowed to use the word Christmas even once in the six weekly editions leading up to the actual day. Not regarding trees, not regarding Dec. 25 etc etc. It's all HOLIDAY season.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Darwin, all I can say is "are you SURE you want to live in Texas again?"

If true - and I have no reason to doubt your word - it's the best argument I can think of for mandatory right-to-carry laws.

My great-grandfather managed to convince a mob who wanted to whip the "Hun" (German family name - his grandfather had immigrated) that they really didn't want to do it by showing them his shotgun and asking who planned on being first. This was in Texas, about 1915, if I recall my family history correctly. He moved the family out of the area as soon as he could afterwards, but it bought him the time he needed - they weren't expecting him to fight back. A lot harder to avoid trouble when your very appearance marks you as "victim" to these yahoos, though.

Why is it that those who put the most stock in their "racial superiority" so seldom have any other sort of superiority to claim?