Question about Titanium

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tharker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Question about Titanium

Post by tharker »

Has anyone played around with titanium? I love the sound of stainless steel and was wondering if titanium sounds similar or totally different. Basically, I don't want to spend the $55 just to find out :)

Thanks,

Tom
Still whistleing and loving every minute of it....
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Is there one available, or are you considering making a prototype?
Could be great for backpackers.
tharker

Post by tharker »

Just fooling around, mostly. I've made and bought some fipples I like and have been just throwing different tubes on them (aluminum, stainless steel, brass, etc) to find out which sounds I like. Titanium is just a little too expensive.

I guess I'm just asking if anyone can compare the sound of Titanium to other whistles out there.

Thanks,

Tom
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I only have experience with titanium model helicopter parts. It was used to replace soft steel rods. There is (for lack of better description) a flexable memory in titanium making it harder to machine.
Are you using it just for whistle tubes?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Probably sounds similar to Aluminum they are both lightwedight alloys. Now my name is on all three boards as last to make a response :twisted:
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

If anyone wants to experiment, here is one source: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/tt.cfm

Rod
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Titanium is the hardening alloy in T-8 Aircraft Aluminum tubing. Used, for example, in ultralight aircraft. Most sources of this tubing can give you information on high Titanium content aluminum tube.

Silicon bronze is another relatively rust free alloy for whistles and is easy to machine on the lathe. It is commonly used as "boiler pipe". It polishes to a beautiful gold. Generation whistles use an alloy of bronze, not brass, for their whistle bodies. Annealed Bronze,Brass and Aluminum can also be "spun" into fancy candlestick shapes from thin sheets or tubing. This method is used in the manufacture of silverware candlesticks etc.

If you must have "pure" Titanium, I suggest you search for it in aircraft scrap yards for a cheap source. Most engine turbines are full of it.
Last edited by Thomas-Hastay on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

I have a titanium whistle made by Pat O'Riordan. It is very sweet and a lot like my Burke. I believe this was a prototype.

Liz
tharker

Post by tharker »

Rod Sprague wrote:If anyone wants to experiment, here is one source: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/tt.cfm

Rod
That's acutally where I've been getting the tubes from. I love the sound of stainless steel, but not aluminum. I've worked with titanium in other situations, so I think it should be a very clear, crisp, almost flutely sound. But, I could be wrong.....

Thanks,

Tom
tharker

Post by tharker »

Tony wrote:I only have experience with titanium model helicopter parts. It was used to replace soft steel rods. There is (for lack of better description) a flexable memory in titanium making it harder to machine.
Are you using it just for whistle tubes?
That's the idea. I've been getting the tubes from "smallparts.com" and they offer a titanium one, but it's a little more expensive. Just wondering if anyone had experience with it before I make the investment.

Thanks,

Tom
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Someone gave me some inconel tubing once from the aircraft industry to try to make a high-D whistle. I still have to find equipment that can drill this stuff - it killed my coping saw blade and didn't even scratch the stuff.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Unseen122 wrote:Probably sounds similar to Aluminum they are both lightwedight alloys. Now my name is on all three boards as last to make a response :twisted:
Arent these both Elements?
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

norseman

Post by norseman »

I think it would be a natural to play the Titanic theme on! :D

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Tom (Tharker)

Would you consider copper tubing? This material is easy to shape on the lathe,can be heat tempered in a small kiln and is a breaze to silver/gold/crome plate in a glass apple cider jug with the top cut off. Most modern "silver" flutes are german silver (nickel) plated copper.

If you dont want to mess with smelly plating, you could just apply common metal "leaf" to the exterior and coat it with clear acrylic(?)
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
tharker

Post by tharker »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Tom (Tharker)

Would you consider copper tubing? This material is easy to shape on the lathe,can be heat tempered in a small kiln and is a breaze to silver/gold/crome plate in a glass apple cider jug with the top cut off. Most modern "silver" flutes are german silver (nickel) plated copper.

If you dont want to mess with smelly plating, you could just apply common metal "leaf" to the exterior and coat it with clear acrylic(?)
Actually, copper was the first metal I tried and I love the sound. I just pick up tubes from Home Depot. They're very easy to cut, drill out holes, and connect to different fipples. Getting involved with a lathe is out of my league :) I take the lazy man's route.

Tom