My birthdays coming, what should I ask for?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dispatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My birthdays coming, what should I ask for?

Post by Dispatcher »

Back in September I bought a tweaked whistle from Jerry. Thank you Jerry! :)

A month or so later I decided a low D Dixon was in needed.

Seemed like a big step up in sound. So deep, so mellow, no squeeks, well- not many not directly attributable to my sloppy playing. :D

Then I got my hands on a cheiftain gold B.
Again, I feel like it was another step in the "I love to play this, I love to hear the sound of this". :P

Anyone care to suggest the next step?

I have considered an Overton. I especially like the idea of a bass G. Big monster whistle I can take with me in the cab and crack some skulls with if I need to. :boggle: Does anyone know if I can get one in stainless steel? Really. Seriously. How much extra would it cost?

I guess my questions are:

1)What is the next step quality of sound/ease of play?
2)Anyone care to guess what the final purchase going to be? or is that just too much opinion?

The key is not important, the sound, the sound!! I want people to cry at the third or fourth note of a slow air or hymn. Chiffiness is not what I am after right now. Mellow, sweet, rich.

Or maybe the question is what is the ultimate whistle?

I know every answer will be opinion, but that's what I am looking for.
Danny
Koss

Post by Koss »

I want people to cry at the third or fourth note of a slow air or hymn.
..they actually do'nt ?
:lol:
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Some say Overton, some say Chieftain, some say Reyburn. I'd say....

uh...

:D
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

you can't go wrong with a sterling silver copeland low D :D Image
Paul

Post by Paul »

Come to the dark side, Danny! :twisted: :wink:

-Paul
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A copy of Eats, Shoots and Leaves? :twisted:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Good health.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: My birthdays coming, what should I ask for?

Post by chas »

Dispatcher wrote: 2)Anyone care to guess what the final purchase going to be? or is that just too much opinion?

Or maybe the question is what is the ultimate whistle?
The answer to the first question is, fortunately or unfortunately, for most there is no "final purchase." The thing is, there isn't a "best" whistle for everything. There are many whistles that, depending on what mood you're in, what sort of piece you're playing, etc., that may be the "best whistle."

The ultimate whistle -- I'd say probably the Thin Weasel C. Not necessarily that it's the best whistle period, but there is no other C whistle that's even in the same echelon.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Darwin

Re: My birthdays coming, what should I ask for?

Post by Darwin »

chas wrote:The answer to the first question is, fortunately or unfortunately, for most there is no "final purchase."
Nonsense! Whatever are you thinking, Charlie? :o

No one lives forever. :D
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Dispatcher

Post by Dispatcher »

Thanx to everyone for your input. :)

Koss, I believe I can make my shelties cry on occasion with my clark d but that is not exactly what I meant.

Tak, I have a Chieftain in B, Overton I have considered and Reyburn I have not heard much about. Was hoping there was a price range in between Chieftain and Overton.

lixnaw, a copeland I think may be out of the price range my wife had in mind, help me convince her otherwise.

Paul, I actually would love a set but at the moment--well you see me flinching at the price of a copeland, what are we talking- 2 or 3 times that price? :shock:

Everyone else, thanks for not pouring out flames, just, you know, can't spend money on another whistle without a little research. In Oklahoma city I haven't many places to go and play around with one, that leaves me at your mercy or my guess work.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

you got a Chieftain B....then it follows that you MUST get an Overton then! :D :lol:

Anyways, if you're considering a low D, both Overtons and Copelands are great; some people call Overtons "Cosmic Drainpipe" and Copelands...uh, what'd they call'em? "flute-like". If you like Davy Spillane-ish kind of low whistle sound, then I'd say go for Overton low D. If you're after flute-like sound, then Copeland is thoroughly recommended. I love both whistles; each has its own nice and unique character the other doesn't have.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dispatcher wrote:Paul, I actually would love a set but at the moment--well you see me flinching at the price of a copeland, what are we talking- 2 or 3 times that price? :shock:
Aha! I knew it! Another potential initiate! :twisted: If you're seriously interested check this out:

PAT SKY'S WEBSITE

Real wood hand-made practice sets by reputable makers are usually at least $1000.00. Pat Sky offers a top quality set for $600.00. The chanter alone is only $350.00. Mr. Sky has a great reputation and his budget practice set is the best deal out there right now especially considering what you get for your money. There has been a lot of discussion about it on the Uilleann Pipe board.

All the best,
Paul
TomB

Post by TomB »

Koss wrote:
I want people to cry at the third or fourth note of a slow air or hymn.
..they actually do'nt ?
:lol:

Folks definitely cry when I play- any note.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Get yourself Burke soprano D and C brass blacktips and Sindt D and C as well; then, never come here again, no matter the attraction...stay away...resist...for although you'll truly never need any other whistle...they will call you...

Philo (hearing the crunch of metal, wood and plastic beneath his feet at every turn)
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I go along with PhilO's recommendation and but the Sindt D and C for sure. The Burke's are outstanding but I like Gary Humphrey's narrow D alot.