Prescription eyeglasses

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Prescription eyeglasses

Post by Dale »

Can someone explain to me why prescription eyeglasses, frames and lenses, are so expensive? Seriously, I don't understand why people aren't scandalized by this.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I'm scandalized by it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

That's because, Walden, you are a reasonable person. You ground us all in reality.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Inelastic demand: -i.e. people gotta have 'em so the market bears a high price.

--Still looking for Gary Larson/Far Side signature frames. 8)
Last edited by brianormond on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

brianormond wrote:-Inelastic demand: -i.e. people gotta have 'em so the market bears a high price.
ahhhh....Capitalism at it's best.
For what it's worth, I'm totally scandalized by it, Dale, as I am with prescription drugs and other things that are NEEDED by people. I find it ridiculous that we are told we need these things, and then when we go to get them, we are unable to because of the cost. And we're supposed to be BETTER off than most countries? :boggle:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I got me two pairs before christmas (one of them my first pair of reading glasses, I have seriously entered middle age now). Cost me 190 euro altogether. Didn't really stop to think about the price. Here, everything is expensive.

In fairness though I didn't pick the cheapest frames but something in the middle, the price above included lenses, frames and the check up/test with the in-store optometrist. And I could collect them within two hours.
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Reasonably-priced eyeglasses can be had, but it's nigh impossible to find out where. The last couple of times I've been shopping for them, there have been price tags on maybe 5-10% of the frames. When I asked for prices on some of the frames I was looking at, the person behind the counter acted as though the world would end if he provided me the information. Funny, when I made up my mind, it took like five seconds for him to find the price.

When I was young, the visit to the eye doctor was the expensive part, and lenses cost a little more than frames. Now the optometrist appointment costs about the same as it did 30 years ago, lenses are a little more (if you get plain-old glass), and frames cost at least five times what they did then. This is because almost all frames have designers' names attached to them. If you can find generic frames, that are virtually the same as those "made by" designers, they can be had for a reasonable price.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

While you can find (relatively) inexpensive frames, they're usually pug-ugly. I was horrified the last time I got new glasses. My insurance will pay up to $100 for frames, but I couldn't get anything in that range that didn't look like something my great grandmother wore in the 1950s. I did finally get a decent-looking pair of wire frames, but I had to look all over town to find them.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Dale - depends where you go.

Most of the Wal Marts, and Target optical type places, along with whatever the local small chain stores will offer is crap when you ask for anything you can easily afford - no warranties in many cases, and very poor quality of lenses and frames.

You'll find good quality in many frames and lenses from more up-scale dispenseries.but also pay more. Much of the cost of lenses now comes from their inherent designand a little from the materials. Ultra high index materials (1.70 indice and above) will of course cost more than cheap polycarbonate. And a new advanced anti-reflective lens which is molecular bonded into the upper surfaces of the lens will cost more to produce than an older coated style of lens.

Also, it depends on the overhead of the practice you buy from, the quality and training of the staff as well as the availability of the lenses and frames to them.

Having worked as a dispensing optician, and ophthalmic technician going on 11 years now I've worked in more than a few practices, and seen a wide variety of pricing scales. I can tell you this - there's always a catch: If it says Buy one get one free, it rarely is. Free is never free in the end. Look out for warranties and always reed the fine print. Make a note of who you talk to if you have questions, and document their answers if you ever need to argue your case before the store manager. And always ask about quality vs. price. Make sure the opticians are taking the time they need to with you as far as measurements and frame adjustment BEFORE you ever leave the store. Never leave with a funny feeling that something wasn't done right, or wasn't explained to your complete satisfaction. If it's too good to be true, well, you're a smart guy. You know what I'm on about. :)

Anyway, if you're out this waylet me know, and I'll take great care of those peepers for ya Dale. :shock:

Brian
ABOC
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I didn't think of this before, but when my husband had to replace his glasses, he went to a thrift type store to find the frames. Oftentimes you can find old frames that are made of really solid materials, and then bring them in to a optometrist to have new lenses sized to fit. My husband did this and then went to Wally World for lenses. The guy really wanted to sell him new frames, and was going on about how great the "new" ones were. He said "The ones they make now are great...made of titanium and are really durable and light. If you look at the frames you brought in, I would doubt that they are made of anything as durable.....ok, nevermind, they're made of gold." :lol: He was shocked and didn't say another thing about the older frames. Coincidentally, the old, thrift shop frames only cost about $5 and have lasted much longer than any other pair of glasses he has gotten and paid well over $100 for.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm with you Dale, the prices are insane, especially considering the quantity in which lenses and frames are made.

I boycott the whole thing and wear disposable contacts instead (which is what I'm wearing under the mask in my avatar.)

Loren
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Titanium frames? Just what I need in case I get hit super hard in the head while I'm wearing them. I want something that will fly apart like a Formula 1 race car.

I'm coming due to replace my glasses. I was hoping I could reuse the same expensive frames and just replace the lenses. I was even planning on going back to the same place, so they should have no excuse about odd shaped lenses. ?? Think they'll go for it?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

The beta titanium and stainless frames are commonly used now for the same reasons you wouldn't ever put a nickel or iron plate in some poor guys skull after surgery. Namely corrosion resistance and durability. I guarentee the frame your hubby got Izzy was pure gold, but was very likely plated - which many frames still are today. The plating can wear off depending on it's own thickness and the nature of the pH of the wearers skin. Keeping the frames clean and in adjustment however will extend the life of any frame for years.

As for YOU Loren... :lol:

Just be careful you have a back up pair of glasses. It's hard to make beautiful rec****rs if you're eyes are on fire from a raging case of conjunctivitis and corneal ulcers from CL overwear (which we see daily in our practice). You be careful! :wink:
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Can't forget about the insurance companies that is how they make money on all this stuff. Well atleast we know things ain't gonna change while Bush is in office. :(

America needs a Brazilian Wax. :lol:

An old friend of mine used to say that but now I have to because he died last May :cry:. Yes I know that is a very frank way of putting it but ya can't dwell on the past.
missy

Post by missy »

ah, yes, something I can REALLY related to!

I had worn glasses or contacts since the age of 5 - and probably needed them before that. Nearsighted. I bit the bullet 5 years ago and had Lasik - and it's WONDERFUL!
Nate wears glasses/contacts. Since age, ah, 10 or so. Nearsighted. As soon as his eyes stablize, he wants Lasik.
Noah wear glasses. Since age 5. He's got this very weird astigmatism - and his lenses (minus frames) are over $300!

And my insurance only pays for eye checkups. We can put aside money in flex account for glasses - but that's also used for all copays, things not covered by insurance, paying FOR insurance, etc.

I've never understood why we have dental insurance but not eye care from where I work. You can work without your teeth! Little hard to do lab work without eyes.!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com