Comment about Boisvert Customer Service

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I have to pipe in on this one since I have placed orders and/or emailed various whistle makers. I can honestly say the response time has been almost always within a couple of days, which I expect from someone who is busy. I am a sole proprietor, and am in the position to answer emails quickly, ONLY because I work on my computer. To me this is quite reasonable.

I recently placed an order with Mr. Boisvert, and have not had a problem with getting responses. The number of questions I emailed him, might have bothered some, but he was extremely friendly and informative.

As a generality, I can honestly say that every whistle maker I have contacted has been very helpful and very nice, which is more than I can say for people in other industries.

I have to confess that I have had times where either my schedule didn't allow or it plain kept slipping my mind to respond to an email. I am thankful the people I could have offended showed much grace to me.

matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

emmline wrote:I know myself, as a "J" on the Myers-Briggs personality scale (anyone know what I'm talking about?)
INTP

I have nothing to say about how anyone manages their e-mail. My own e-mail responsiveness is mediocre at best. Between work and home I get 40-50 non-spam, non-junk e-mails a day. Some never get opened. It's a great communication tool but... Can too much communication be a bad thing.

I've admired Dave's whistles from afar and will, one day, get one.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wow. I got a PM recently from Davey asking after the status of my Ginsberg flat set that he'd rehabbed for me, and offering tweaks if needed. I consider that kind of follow-up to be commendable.

It seems to have been all an unfortunate misunderstanding.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I've ordered and received 3 whistles from Davey over the last couple of years. They are all first rate whistles, and his customer service has been impeccable. But I always followed his guidelines of sending him deposits for any whistles ordered. I never expected him to jump through hoops or do research without compensation.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Folks, I just wanted to reinforce a little-realized fact: email is not a guaranteed-delivery medium.

Not every email you send will make it to its destination. If a server, router, or other network component is down, misconfigured, or simply too busy between you and your recipient, they may never receive your email.

This is by design.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

Mack Hoover is maker with stupendacular service.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Having interacted with both, I'll chime in and say that David and Jessie are both great people to deal with in my experience.

I ordered one of David's early whistles, mentioned something that I didn't consider a flaw, just something I asked about, and a few weeks later, recieved a whistle that had been completely redesigned and was just, well, more advanced. He told me to keep whichever I liked. I kept the later one, which had a higher sale price listed on his website, and offered to pay him the difference, which he declined.

I don't know how many instruments I've bought from Jessie, but I think you can't count them on one hand. I've also had many other interactions with her, seeking advice, etc. I've had nothing but positive experiences with her.

I like them both, and I think and hope they'll work this all out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I've been corresponding with Mr. Boisvert for several months via e-mails, and well, being a working man who slaves over the lathe t satisfy our musical needs it is understandable if he takes a bit of time to respond. E-mails can get messed up and stuff, the internet ain't perfect! As soon as a fellow completes the transaction for my buying my Jeep I will be doing business with Greenwood Pipes. Pipemakers are busy peope who don't spend a terrible amount of time on computers like we do, so give him a break.

-Mike
mukade

Re: Comment about Boisvert Customer Service

Post by mukade »

JessieK wrote: He does not, however, answer e-mails. .
David has answered every one of my emails over the past few months.

I have had wonderful customer service from him, and I would encourage anyone who is looking for a new whistle or set of pipes to give Greenwood a try.

Mukade
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

All of the responses seem typical of what I have experienced across the board.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I think it's important to consider, as some have suggested, the nature of email. I get a lot of email. I miss emails that are sent to me from time to time. Emails I send to people are occasionally filtered out by spam filters, because some of my email addresses are flagged as the source of spam, on a account of the fact that the newsletter goes out to multiple email addresses, I guess.

More importantly, I think there is a level of demand for rapid response to all email that's unfortunate. (I'm not judging the particulars of the situation that started this thread.) I sometimes get nostalgic for snail-mail.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

A phone call could have resolved it.
glauber

Post by glauber »

This was rude.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I made the preliminary request last summer, you wrote back that you were waiting to get more lemonwood, I didn't hear from you for about 5 months. I wrote to you again to ask if you'd gotten lemonwood and didn't hear back. About a month later, you wrote to me and told me you'd been putting off responding because of the special requests (to which you could have just said no), but that you wanted to do it. So I told you exactly what I was looking for and how I wanted them voiced. You wrote back that having the slide match the ferrules (in color) would be difficult and I wrote back and suggested plating of the slide. I didn't hear back from you. A month later, I wrote to you to cancel the whole thing because you had never given me any formal information or pricing and I didn't want to have some open-ended project in the works, especially since I have been losing interest in whistles. You wrote back that my timing was strange, because you had just gotten plated tubing back from the plating company (I didn't know you were having it done). I wrote back that, in that case, I'd like to go ahead with it and I asked if you were comfortable with my requests about voicing. It was a month ago. I never heard back from you. I never got a price (how could I send a 50% deposit, which you never asked me to do, if I didn't know the price?) or feedback of any kind. I'm glad my experience seems to have been unique.

Clearly, you are not interested in making any more whistles for me and I am ok with that.
~JessieD
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

If I didn't already have an order in for a set of O'Riordan's (since Sept. 2000) I would definatly get a set of Davey's whistles. Two months would be a very, very, short waite. If Patrick doesn't come through I know Davey will!!!

Thanks for putting up with us at C& F!!

Nate