popping straps... Are they essential?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
emer

Post by emer »

I don't think Ronan Browne uses one?
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I pretty much gave up on the old praiscín a few years ago. However, I have found that I need one when I play a D chanter while wearing sweatpants: do not need one when playing a C chanter in sweatpants. Something to do with the higher velocity/volume chanter I think. Occassionally I need a strap when playing in dress slacks 'cos I can get this fold of fabric that goes right up the thigh where the chanter seats.. I may start using something when that day comes that I am "all over the regs" just to eliminate one more variable.

t
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

Peter Laban wrote:The Piper's Eleventh Finger. Unless you wear short, short skirts or leather pants, you shouldn't be without them.
Peter- you forgot if your stuck in the sub tropics and you're wearing shorts!
If you get real picky, not that a piper would RIGHT?!...but a swatch of leather (a finished piece not raw stuff w/ the wee bit of fur on it) MIGHT give any sound coming directly out of the bell some more reflection, as oposed to cloth or flesh.

I think I notice a diff. in that regard, but being w/ whorts 90 % of the time...I'm not using a popping strap. Also I remember Gay to have said something similar to that in a most simple fashion i.e. "it sounds better.."
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

The popping strap is more than just a seal!It is called a pipers apron for a good reason.Most popping straps today are miserable little scraps of leather neatly tied around th leg,right...wrang!!Get a good size piece o leather say 12"x12" and let it drape over the leg,quite apart from helping to make a better seal it can help the harmonics tremendously by utilising the longer piece when the chanter is off the knee.
eg Play the drones in the middle of the room,then go to a corner and play the drones into a corner(creating a sound box) and listen to the difference,well it is the same with a proper Pipers Apron! when ye play the chanter into the apron :wink:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
An píobaire fánach

Bare legs

Post by An píobaire fánach »

From my (very limited) experience, the wear-and-tear on bare legs (I wear shorts most of the time) is murder, and a piece of leather is essential to keeping my skin!
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

Well I can't manage without one. I have been known on the odd occasion to lose my favourite one and be obsessively engrossed with finding it before being able to carry on (might have been something to do with the B&C's consumed too) :wink:
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Get a good size piece o leather say 12"x12" and let it drape over the leg,quite apart from helping to make a better seal it can help the harmonics tremendously by utilising the longer piece when the chanter is off the knee.
Do you have a thickness recommendation, Bill?...how much flexability? chamois ok?
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I've had good luck with leather rectangles sold at craft supply stores. The one nearest me is called "Michael's" and is a chain in the US. They come in a variety of colours and last a lifetime. They measure about 12"x10" or there abouts and are thick enough not to crease under the chanter creating the chance for a poor seal.

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:I've had good luck with leather rectangles sold at craft supply stores. The one nearest me is called "Michael's" and is a chain in the US. They come in a variety of colours and last a lifetime. They measure about 12"x10" or there abouts and are thick enough not to crease under the chanter creating the chance for a poor seal.

PD.
Michael's is a good place. Where ever you go, don't go to Tandy Leather, as they will charge you an arm and a leg for scrap leather.
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Thank's, Patrick!...there's a Michael's a couple block's away & I wouldn't have thought of it. :thumbsup:
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I seldom used a popping with my wide bore D chanter, and never noticed much difference whan I did use one. But, with the B chanter, in order to know when my finger stretch was just right, and no toneholes leaking, I found a popping strap essential. I use it all the time now with B chanter. I find it's better in every way.

For leather sources, don't forget about old purses at 2nd hand stores.
eric_smith

Post by eric_smith »

Lorenzo wrote:I seldom used a popping with my wide bore D chanter, and never noticed much difference whan I did use one. But, with the B chanter, in order to know when my finger stretch was just right, and no toneholes leaking, I found a popping strap essential. I use it all the time now with B chanter. I find it's better in every way.
I second this. I never used one when playing concert pitch, and didn't notice the absence, but when I went flat, it made a big difference in my ability to control the articulation of the notes.

It feels weird to play without it now.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

In fact, when I'm through playing, I've formed the habit of placing the chanter along side the drones and wrapping the leather strap around this unit of sticks, just below the mainstock, and then carrying the set that way. It keeps the chanter from getting separated or falling off. This ½ B set is as light as a feather.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Last edited by AlanB on Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

For me it just is the way of not letting the drones slide down my leg. The leather is like a drone stopping strap..hehe...thank god for guinness tonight....