Blow edge inserts on Noy flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
headwizer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Blow edge inserts on Noy flutes

Post by headwizer »

Peter Noy makes flutes with any optional blow edge insert that is harder material than the wood itself. Here's a pic of an edge in ivory:

Does anyone have a Noy flute with a blow edge insert? How does it affect the sound? Do you find the blow hole less affected by moisture?
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Jessie posted some impressions of a Noy with an amber blow-edge, and I asked this question. Unfortunately, I don't remember the title of the thread, but I bet if you search on amber and boxwood and Noy, you'll find it before too long.

I played a Noy with a thinned blackwood head and amber blow edge for a week a month or two ago, but I couldn't comment on any differences, since the other head I had was a Rudall (I believe the alternate blowedge materials are only offered on the Modern cuts since the oval embouchures don't have enough flat surface to warrant it). One thing I will say is that the thinned heads make a wonderfully blanced flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Can't say that I found any difference in tone between the Noy and T. McGee's RAF when it was here...but my Noy has a very sharp edge on the insert. I believe this is the reason for the "frequency agility" of this particular flute. The only thing I can think of as an analogy is the degree of oversteer on an automobile. This is definitley very quick to shift. (not just my opinion).....and takes a bit of restraint to control.
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

Jack, which model McGee was that? His Pratten, Rudall or other?

Do you own a Noy? What options did you have it built with?
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

It was the US RAF...I believe Pratten....but I'd have to dig into the archives (or Terry's site) to be sure.

Bought mine on EBay...has the head as shown in the above photo. My daily player.....
603/329-7322
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I worry less about the blow edge with the insert. Wood grain can chip fairly easily, but these materials are less likely to get damaged.
~JessieD
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

Jack, how many keys does your Noy have? Does the thin head give the flute better balance?

I wonder if McGee does blow hole inserts. He does not say so on his site. For that matter, I wonder if he does lip-plates. I don't have an allergy to mopane, but who know re: other woods.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Keyless

With the short foot...yes, I think it balances a bit better

I think Terry would do those, if asked..sure
603/329-7322
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

Well, I did email Terry about lip plates, blow edges and bushings. He is not in favor of any of these. His reply is that

1. a new wood flute with an all-wood embouchure hole should have a sharp edge to start with, so that a blow edge insert would not be beneficial - at least at the start

2. the airstream keeps the blow edge clear of moisture anyway

3. wood has a tendency to shift/shrink and adding a metal lip plate, bushing or blow edge insert could cause the wood to crack over time.

4. If the wood does shift, a protective metal bushing (or ring) for the embouchure hole could cause a "step" to appear in the hole and result in a rough sound quality.

I am not entirely convinced by argument #2. My all-wood CB flute, which is not an antique, benefits from my applying a lip balm to the blow edge regularly to repel moisture. The other points though seem reasonable. Then, the only reason for a lip plate is to avoid a wood allergy/sensitivity? And a blow edge insert/bushing is not a good idea?
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Did Terry say why he thinks a new flute should have a sharp edge to the blow hole ? It comes as a shock to me.
Most old fine old flutes I see have, if they work well, have blowholes with the edge relieved. Not new, I know, but aimed at doing the same job, and when the odd one has had a sharp edge softened it has worked better.
But far be it for me to doubt Terry's expertise ! I would just like to understand a bit better.
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

andrewK wrote:Did Terry say why he thinks a new flute should have a sharp edge to the blow hole ?
I assume because the blow hole is newly cut and has not been used (except by the flutemaker during testing). I think Terry means that a blow edge insert is meant to provide a highly durable sharp edge.
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

That relates to how the hole can have a sharp edge, not who it should.
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

Hey, I got to play a Noy for the first time several weeks ago. It was Eilam's. It's actually an R&R with a Noy head. I wondered what the white thing on the blow hole was!

BTW -- what's an RAF?

Max
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

I wonder how Mr Noy's new head for Eilam's Rudall & Rose flute compares with the repaired original ?
David Levine

RAF = Roving Ambassador Flute

Post by David Levine »

RAF = Roving Ambassador Flute
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.