wacky weather

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

wacky weather

Post by izzarina »

I swear this weather is just plain WEIRD! All the rain in CA, big time snow in AZ. Here in my part of the Ohio Valley, we are in the 70's. My Spring flowers are coming up, only to be wiped out when we go back down to the 20s tomorrow. We also have had too much rain, which has caused numerous mudslides, and 2 floods in as many weeks. Wheeling, WV was under water twice, although the 2nd one wasn't nearly as bad. We are supposed to get another 3 inches or so of rain tonight, so that may change things. With the major floods back in September, many people here have been left with nothing. I just pray we don't get enough for more major flooding.
Is anything weird going on with anyone else's weather?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

We've had beautiful, springlike 70+ degree weather here in Atlanta... we're about to plummet about 20 degrees this weekend. Just started pouring a short bit ago... :roll:
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Last year my daffodils pretended to be snowdrops on three separate occasions.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more comment here on the weather in the US, I find myself hoping that all those people whom I only know from this virtual community are OK., as we've been getting some coverage of your weather in addition to that of the storms that have killed up to 20 people in Northern Europe in the last week or so.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Here in the NJ we go from 30 to 50 in one day. :boggle:
Henke

Post by Henke »

I've been thinking a lot about this the last weeks or so. I'm surprised that people hasn't talked more about this here in Sweden as well. We have had terrible storms down on the south west coast, and pretty bad ones up here as well, which is very unusual. We rarely have any hard weather at all in Central Sweden, once every 6 or 7 years there comes winds strong enough to blow a sign or two and some roof plates down but very rarely more than that. These storms have been a bit worse. Down south they were strong enough to crack trees and stuff. In addition to that, it's in the middle of winter and there is not a trace of snow, no where, at least not around here. We usually have quite a bit of snow at this time of the year and it's always well below freezing. Now it's not even cold.

This is starting to freak me out, and the fact that our media's don't even talk about it (they talk about the storms but not the strange weather in general) just makes me more nervous about it.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My Grandma's rosebush bloomed in December of 1961. But, yeah, the weather is doing some odd things (doesn't it always?). It froze here, the other day, with floodwaters still on the ground. Yesterday there were tornado warnings for the next county over.
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:My Grandma's rosebush bloomed in December of 1961.
Evidently, in honor of my birth!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Perhaps the end is near. Perhaps we should repent.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Unseen122 wrote:Here in the NJ we go from 30 to 50 in one day. :boggle:
Last Thursday it was 34. Today it's -44. Now that's a swing state!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cranberry wrote:Perhaps the end is near. Perhaps we should repent.
Contemplata apacolypsum?

:o

--Jacobius
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

We've had such strange snow this year too. Every time it snows, it snows all day and then rains all night. At Christmas time it froze just afterwards, and brought down five huge Sitka Spruce. (Which fell only about twenty or thirty feet from the house, all together.)

I'm wondering, too, why no widespread concern. Is it truly just a flukey weather year? Seems that, if I can notice a trend towards changing weather in my relatively short lifetime, there's a big problem.

Jennie
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Walden wrote:My Grandma's rosebush bloomed in December of 1961. But, yeah, the weather is doing some odd things (doesn't it always?). It froze here, the other day, with floodwaters still on the ground. Yesterday there were tornado warnings for the next county over.
Yesterday, a fellow storm spotter and I were discussing whether it would be more of a storm or a rain event, and we both voted for rain. Fort Smith had both a severe thunderstorm warning and a flash flood warning last night, so I guess we would have been right either way.

By the way, we had more than twice our normal January rainfall by the 5th of the month! :o
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Karina

Post by Karina »

I think they've been saying that Reno has had more snow than it's had since 1916 (the local weatherman said maybe even since 1912 and beyond). It's been pretty weird, here, I'd say. There are few things about Reno weather that you can count on (other than irregularity), but lack of precipitation is usually one of them. Lolly could prolly back me up on that.

Oh, and I heard on the news that we supposedly got 52 inches, for those wondering. I don't know how accurate that is, but there are certainly drifts in my yard that go up to my chest (albeit the higher ones).

(edited to add snowfall, which I had forgotten)
Last edited by Karina on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

After a week or so of good hard rain stormin' it got up in the mid 60s with clear sunshine yesterday where I work. I walk a few miles everyday at lunch there and was warm yesterday. So I brought my lighter jacket and sunglasses for today. It was 42 degrees and foggy for the whole day!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Perhaps the end is near. Perhaps we should repent.
Contemplata apacolypsum?

:o

--Jacobius
cunctis diebus terrae sementis et messis frigus et aestus aestas et hiemps nox et dies non requiescent
Reasonable person
Walden