warming up your hands tricks???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

warming up your hands tricks???

Post by Berti66 »

I have noticed that I play better after I have gone through a few tunes (means my fingers move better).
Are there some tricks to warm up your hands before playing?

Berti
Crevan

Post by Crevan »

I usually warm up with running the scale a few times or playing some simple songs to start off with. As far as how you can warm up before you touch the flute/whistle, I'm not too sure.
-Kevin
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I am astonished that Amar hasn't jumped right in here at this point.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i'd recommend hand cream, but not before playing,
some uilleann pipers use it frequently.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Re: warming up your hands tricks???

Post by michael_coleman »

Berti66 wrote:I have noticed that I play better after I have gone through a few tunes (means my fingers move better).
Are there some tricks to warm up your hands before playing?

Berti

rubbing them together very quickly?
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

uhm I think I did express the question the wrong way......I just meant how to get my fingers move faster, not how to get my hands warm :D

berti
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I think the two are related (keeping hands warm and moving fingers fast). I like to wear gloves even at the hint of coolness in the air. A guitar professional that I know said he would do exercises (sans guitar) everyday to build the muscles and dexterity he felt he needed to play fast.

When I perform, I like to warm up by fingering the holes while blowing over the fipple instead of into it. I can do this anywhere, and for me it feels like a a more effective warm up than playing some tunes at normal volume.
+ Bill
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

hi bill

think more members of this list would also be interested to hear what exercises that friend of yours is doing to build the muscles of his hands/ fingers........some of us could sure use them!
can you please ask him?

greetings
berti
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

One exercise was very simple. Extend both arms in front of you and extend the fingers to a stretched position, hold for three seconds, then make a tight fist, and hold for three, repeat ten times. The guiitarist said he did this about ten times a day or 100 reps.

I also remember him talking about getting one hand manicured (the strumming hand) with several layers of nail polish to build up his nails.
+ Bill
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

lixnaw wrote:i'd recommend hand cream, but not before playing,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know who else does?
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

This calls for a new whistle design. The "Thermos Whistle", a cross between a Low-D and a thermos bottle. Scheduled for completion on April 1st. :lol:
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
billw

Post by billw »

My "trick" if it can be called that, is to pick up a couple of those little hand-warmer packets at the local QT, activate 'em and drop them (wrapped in a couple of QT napkins) into my pockets. The ability of your fingers to move quickly is, indeed, related to hand warmth, and a couple of those little packets will keep your hands toasty for several hours.
Cheers, and Happy New Year
Bill Whedon

Does anyone besides me know that Bingamon is making BASS whistles now? What's up with that, Dan? Got freight-train envy? :P
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Unseen122 wrote:

You know who else does?
:roll: Colin Goldie.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

lixnaw wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:

You know who else does?
:roll: Colin Goldie.
Well, he uses hand cream but not straight before he plays. When you have been here last, his hands were very rough, probably that is why you saw him using hand cream. Having creamed hands the finger prints you leave on your instrument may be really awkward to get rid off after playing.

Berti, to loosen your hands and get your fingers quick, next time we meet, he can show you some finger stretching excercises and to get your fingers quickly moving, hey, typewriting (typing on your keyboard) should do the job (just kidding)

To help you getting quicker besides your regular playing practice, I would recommend you just take the whistle or flute and not blow into it and just hold it as if you would play and move your fingers as if you were playing a tune or even only up and down the scale. Normally you would be able to hear little pops if you put your fingers down properly when you hold the vent hole or the embouchoure hole close to your ear.

You can do this finger practice even when watching a movie. People around you will get used to you practicing this way as long as you do not start blowing into it while the climax of the movie is close.... and during the advertising breaks you could also blow into it for a change and listen to what you were doing before only with your fingers. It can be a helpful excercise to practice the ornamentations without driving the rest of the family nuts, too and you can do it this way no matter what time of the day it is.

Hope this helps for the moment
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Actually I normally only use hand cream sometimes after being in the workshop. I would not use it before playing as it can make the fingers stick a bit to the instrument, infact if I have hand cream on and I want to play I would normally wash it away beforehand.

As far as warming up the hands I would bend each finger back in turn to stretch them and give them a quick massage all over including the palms and wrists. This would make them loosen up and relaxed. If playing for quite a while I might take a break and do it all again. I can show you when we meet up next.

Colin