Seriously OT: Tal is not for all

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

izzarina wrote:SIGH!! Alright. Then can I call you Tally?
:D
Hey, Mr Tally Man, tally me banana! Daylight come and me want go home! Image
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

GaryKelly wrote: Hey, Mr Tally Man, tally me banana! Daylight come and me want go home! Image
Don't be throwing these lyrics around lightly, Malphas...you should know better than anyone that a beautiful bunch of ripe bananas hides the deadly black tarantula.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

emmline wrote:
GaryKelly wrote: Hey, Mr Tally Man, tally me banana! Daylight come and me want go home! Image
Don't be throwing these lyrics around lightly, Malphas...you should know better than anyone that a beautiful bunch of ripe bananas hides the deadly black tarantula.
In Fiji "banana" refers to a gay guy.
I will not have you insulting the gay world by suggesting I am one.

I, myself, am a hetero fairy and I am a tad miffed about Izzarina's having that avatar!
:moreevil:

Good Night to all. It is nearly 3 in the morning here.
I am going to get into trouble any minute now.
:o
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

aderyn_du wrote:

That's my bird's name. Well, it was Taliesin until we discovered eggs at the bottom of 'his' cage. We decided to name her Tally after that.
We had the same phenomenon with a goldfish.
Unfortunately, Irwin doesn't feminize as well.
Thankfully, Irwina was a goldfish and couldn't kick my tail for saddling her with such a name ;)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:

Pure comedy gold. It makes me wanna work all night and drink ah rum.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I don't think there's a poster's name here I haven't shortened at some time or other. I can only apologise most sincerely to all the Tals, Emms, Izzys, GKs, Flys (fka Geek), and others, I had no idea such offense was being caused.

For me, shortening a nick is usually a way of showing endearment, plus I can't be bothered to write the whole thing, which I'd probably mis-spell anyway.

I hereby formerly declare that anyone on the board, whether I like them or not, may call me by the shortened moniker of Martin, not the full Martin Milner which is, after all, my correct handle.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

this is all very silly.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Martin Milner wrote: I hereby formerly declare that anyone on the board, whether I like them or not, may call me by the shortened moniker of Martin, not the full Martin Milner which is, after all, my correct handle.
Well, phooey. There went all my hopes and dreams of being able to call you MarMil. :sniffle: I shall strive to overcome this horrible disappointment... do not worry, I'll recover.

/being brave
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

aderyn_du wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: I hereby formerly declare that anyone on the board, whether I like them or not, may call me by the shortened moniker of Martin, not the full Martin Milner which is, after all, my correct handle.
Well, phooey. There went all my hopes and dreams of being able to call you MarMil. :sniffle: I shall strive to overcome this horrible disappointment... do not worry, I'll recover.

/being brave
Folks of extra-special frienditude get to call me M! :D

p.s. actually, ad, Milmar is a tag I have been labelled with, due to it being my computer log on at work. Nitram is a type of fertiliser in the UK, and of course Merlin is an anagram of my surname. All useless information for you!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I can certainly sympathize with talasiga on this matter, having had to endure the same kind of trivialization and inappropriate familiarization with my own name. I can't count the times someone has presumed undue closeness and referred to me as 'gonzo913' or 'gonzo912' or even 'gonzo910.' I once even had someone call me 'gonzo9,' which diminishes me by 2 characters (You know who you are, and you should be ashamed of yourselves).

So to set the record straight -- I am gonzo914, and will always be so in the hearts of picayunes everywhere. Anything less sells me short; anything greater is an exaggeration.

Yours,
gonzo||nnn, where nnn = an integer > 913 and < 915, although I hope to someday be promoted to the high 980s.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I agree with Martin about diminutives being a mode of displaying endearment, not to mention saving a few keystrokes. Good Lord, should I be so aloof and pomptitudinous as to require everyone to fully spell out my nick each and every time, especially after a fair amount of interaction on these boards? Hmph.

Those who know me well may now address ME as "Listen, you frickin' idiot".
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Martin Milner wrote:......
For me, shortening a nick is usually a way of showing endearment, plus I can't be bothered to write the whole thing, which I'd probably mis-spell anyway.
Now listen ere Marty Farty!
1. you need my approval to express your dim. endearment.
2. If you can't spell you have the right to remain silent.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

talasiga wrote:2. If you can't spell you have the right to remain silent.
talasiga wrote:If me and my wife ever visit and you're in the bath, you can call me Tal.
If your grammar is sh*t, you have the right to refrain from posting, Tal. If me ever visits you...me will call you Talbert.
~JessieD
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

JessieK wrote:......
If your grammar is sh*t, you have the right to refrain from posting, Tal. If me ever visits you...me will call you Talbert.
Why surely you jess? :D
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner wrote:I hereby formerly declare that anyone on the board, whether I like them or not, may call me by the shortened moniker of Martin, not the full Martin Milner which is, after all, my correct handle.
and here I was just about to call you "lambchop" :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.