Whistleing and Single Malts.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Excellent description Tom. We'll be signing you up for Camra yet. :)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

jbarter wrote:Excellent description Tom. We'll be signing you up for Camra yet. :)

Thanks, not bad for a Yank, eh? I brew the ocassional "beer" so I've read about them.

I wonder if one has to go to England to get them?

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I haven't tried the regular 12y.o Glenfiddich but I had a bottle of 15y.o Solera reserve Glenfiddich at home a few moths ago. I liked it fine but it was maybe a little too oily for my taste (oily in flavour and not in mouthfeel). Many people have told me that the 12y.o is a bit uninteresting.

My uncle told me a story about when he was first introduced to single malt whisky. He was in Scotland on some sort of golf trip in his early twenties and they sat there at a pretty exclusive golf pub when an old gentleman walks in accompanied two young ladies. He walks up to my uncle and says something about them having taken his table. When they appologice and prepare to move away he just laughs and tells them to sit down. Then he calls on the waiter and orders "the usual". The waiter comes in with a bottle of The Glenlivet and the gentleman then starts to fill up my uncles empty pint with it. My uncle said "thanks, sir" about five times before he stoped pouring and by that time he had a pint which was about half full of whisky in front of him. The gentleman just smiled at him and said "There you go lad. Now don't ever go have another dram then The Glenlivet. And also remember it's THE Glenlivet not Glenlivet, very important." Then the gentleman walks off with his bottle and the two ladies, chuckling. My uncle have since gone out and tried several other brands but he always keep a bottle of The Glenlivet at home. He has thought me most of what I know (which of course is not much) about whisky, and he's a great sorce of information on the subject.

A great site for whisky fans with lots and lots of useful information is www.scotchwhisky.com , that site has given me most of the rest of my limited knowledge... I really need to go buy a whisky book now, I'm suddenly hungry to learn more.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Henke wrote:IA great site for whisky fans with lots and lots of useful information is www.scotchwhisky.com , that site has given me most of the rest of my limited knowledge... I really need to go buy a whisky book now, I'm suddenly hungry to learn more.

Umm, wouldn't that be "thirsty" to learn more?? :D

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
trisha

Post by trisha »

Best cure for whisky addiction is two years living on a fast jet base surrounded by members of the Malt Whisky Society who insist in having you round for drinks..regularly.

We both loved whisky until then...but have hardly touched in the ten years since.

Old Fettercairn for me, and Lagavulin (the Islay malt). Took our mutual friend in Brittany a bottle of Bowmore, Phil - it went fast... :roll: .

Trisha
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Faves: Oban, The Balvenie, The Glendronach, Tomatin, to name a few. Obviously I have somewhat eclectic tastes.

Nonfaves: Laphroaig always comes to mind. Tastes and smells like Band-Aids.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Nanohedron wrote:Faves: Oban, The Balvenie, The Glendronach, Tomatin, to name a few. Obviously I have somewhat eclectic tastes.

Nonfaves: Laphroaig always comes to mind. Tastes and smells like Band-Aids.
You just keep on thinking that - leaves more for me. :D

Though I'm sipping Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish as I post. :lol:
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I’m “cursed” with good taste, I can go into a commercial art gallery and the one piece I find truly appealing will be the one with the highest price tag.

I’ve had friends pour me a bit of something “sold to me by Scotsman I could not make head nor tails of what he said, but gave me this when I asked for the best whisky in all the land and price was no issue.” My reaction is always “I could get used to this quite easily.” Then I realize that would not be a good idea for someone of my income level. Maybe my love of that little bit of fine single malt whisky has something to do with some sort of ancestral memory, as well as good taste. I also have German in my background and the best beer I’ve ever had was the local brew in a beer hall along the Rhine.

An upper class member of the Spanish speaking community of Tucson helped raise me, so have a great respect for things like the very best tequila, too. I have an idea for a culture based on my background I could use in science fiction stories. The Mestezo-Scotian-Tutons would be the result of Scotsmen, Mexicans and Germans colonizing the same planet. No Octoberfiesta mariachi band would be quite complete without a piper, tubaist and whistler (whistleist?) (but they wouldn’t necessarily all play at the same time, as such a combination would not be that easy to orchestrate, especially with the drones on the great Highland bagpipe!)

Rod
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Rod, go transcultural with your instruments, and have them develop a bass bagpipe and a tuba with drones. Would add a truly interesting flavor to oompah-oompah music. :twisted:
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

CDrom, I think along similar lines to that a lot, with good reason.

My playing style has been influenced by my fondness for classical music and country and western, including early bluegrass, I got from my parents, the music of Price Edward Island, Canada we learned to appreciate when we spent a summer there, including both the fiddle and bagpipes (not at the same time), the Hispanic music I was exposed to in Tucson AZ, all the background music of just living in the US, my playing the baritone sax in both high school concert and stage band, the inland Northwest Indian music at the powwows my dad the anthropologist took me to, all the electronic music by Wendy Carlos I listened to in adolescence and the electronic country music of Gil Trythall.

I am a mad scientist, at heart. I am very good at making things, including a plasma globe that won “Best Three Dimentional Art” in the Con-Vertion VI science fiction convention art show in Calgary Alberta. I am building a electrostatic inertial confinement fusion reactor and just might have figured out how to make it a workable energy source. I have made numerous whistles; some of which have been very odd experiments, applying what I have learned from all my experimentation, sometimes to great effect. I own a copy of Musical Instrument Design (which gives odd advice, such as simple ways to make slide instruments with conical bores!) and Making Simple Musical Instruments by Bart Hopkin and have read most of the instrument building books in the U of I library. Using what I have read, and my mad scientist tendencies, I have things like the slide contrabass saxophone, slide contrabassoon, the vapor phase deposition solid diamond whistle and the parallelogram fiddle-banjo on the drawing board.

Is the world really ready for the odd music and instruments that just might result?

Rod
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Good answer Tom! :D
My local has five 'Real Ales' on at any one time,and the manager (who has a brewing microbiology degree!) is always putting on new guest Ales for us to try.
Just this week,I have been sampling a 'Liqourice stout' which was very tasty-though at 4.7% alcohol was a bit stronger than my usual Guinness (which isn't a 'Real Ale').
Oh by the way Montana,you mention the 'Macallan'-I bought my brother in law a bottle of that nectar as a Christmas present,as it is his favourite malt.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cragganmore and Highland Park for me.

Not keen on the Islay malts, far too maritime for my taste... like licking seaweed off pebbles at the beach. Though I still have a dram or two left of a 16yo Lagavulin and half a bottle of Bowmore which may well survive to be chasers in the great Gary's Birthday Pint Race this year.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
trisha

Post by trisha »

>like licking seaweed off pebbles at the beach

So that's how you came to resemble a Hobbit: too near the power station, m'boy... :roll:
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

amar wrote:The Macallan
(it was the regular 10year old.)
Hmm, personally I have found Macallan to be among my least favorite single malts. Those sherry-tasting Speysides just don't do it for me, I guess... :D

I have always been a big Islay fan, but have actually recently begun favouring other regions over it. These days, my favorite regions would be the non-Islay islands and the Western Highlands. Favorite distilleries? Probably Talisker and Highland Park right now.

I bought a bottle of Tobermory, the whisky Phil mentioned, this summer. But although it is nice enough I found it a bit too bland for my tastes.

Interestingly, a few years ago I would always prefer cask strength whiskies to those of regular strength. It's another example of my tastes changing: These days I actually prefer regular 40-45% strength whisky.

/Jens
Henke

Post by Henke »

By the way guys. I need help from people with a little more experience here. I need to buy a new bottle of single malt soon and I can't decide what to buy, not even what style of whisky I want. I'll do it like this, I'll write down all the single malts I can recall tasting and put a number between 1 and 5 after to indicate how much I liked it, 1 beeing the lowest and 5 beeing the highest score:

Speyside Malts:
The Glenlivet 12 y.o. (4.5)
The Macallans 10 y.o. (3.9)
Aberlour 10 y.o. (4)
Tamnavulin 10 (or was it 12?) y.o. (3.6)
Tormore 12 y.o. (2.8 )
Glenfiddich 15 y.o. (3)
The Balvenie 12 y.o. DW (4)

Other Highland Malts:
The Dalmore 12 y.o. (4)
Oban 10 (or 12?) y.o. (3)

Lowland Malts:
Auchentoshan 10 y.o. (3.8 )

Islay and other Isle Malts:
Laphroaig 10 y.o. (4.2)
Bowmore 12 y.o. (3.8 )

I'm sure there were some more but can't remember them right now. Note that I might also like something that is not quite like anything I have tried before. I don't mind peatyness (see Laphroaig) but I also like smoothness like Auchentoshan. I dislike exessive sweetness (Tormore), if it's too oily or chemical in taste (Glenfiddich 15, which is a nice dram appart from that) and I'm not a big fan of the haylike taste of Oban.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by Henke on Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.